BX2200 Sanity Check

/ BX2200 Sanity Check #1  

rock

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2200
Well, spring is approaching, there will be many landscaping and lawn care projects lined up, and I just sold my old house, so I have a few extra nickels burning a hole in my pocket. Many thoughts have been going through my head and I figured I put ‘em up for a sanity check.

I have a BX2200, FEL, 54” mower.

1) I am interested in a utility trailer for haulin’ around the yard and thought that if I got a 4 x 8 single axle utility trailer with a 2500lb capacity I could not only use it around the yard, but if I ever wanted to haul my BX somewhere I could use this trailer for that purpose as well. Sans mower of course, but that’s what the bed of the pickup is for. Does the above sound sane, or am I running into the case where buying something to cover two jobs makes them good at neither.

2) I am also interested in a leaf collection system. There is the Kubota option that hangs off the back, but there are also third party options like those from Trac Vac. With the rear PTO, getting one with another motor doesn’t seem like it makes a lot of sense and they do have a rear PTO model made for the BX (854BX) which runs about $2200 with trailer, $1600 without.

a) Any opinions on this rig?
b) I’ve also seen some of them with a built in chipper, but with my past experience with gravity feed chippers hasn’t been all that successful. Would this be another case of “able to do two jobs, but good at neither”? The 854BX does not have a chipper option so the above point may be moot, but I’d like to hear opinions on combination chipper / vacs.
c) If I get it without the trailer and execute on number one above I could build a grass bin for the 4 x 8 trailer and use it. This might be a pretty big rig to pull around the yard to pick up leaves, but I have been known to “mouse hunt with an elephant gun”.

3) I know there have been some past postings on the Kubota system, but I’ll fish for some other opinions as well. Also, could I rig the Kubota system with a “remote hose” for sucking the leaves out of the bushes?

OK, That’s it. Should I head down any of the above paths or get myself fitted for a straight jacket.

-- Rock

/ BX2200 Sanity Check #2  
rock, I'll leave most of your questions to the BX owners, but I might comment on the trailer. I have a 5' x 10' tiltbed, single axle trailer. I don't know what the rated capacity was supposed to be, but I know I once loaded it in Ellensburg, WA, and had 2800# on the axle and brought it back to Texas that way with no problems. With the tiltbed, no ramps were needed to haul my riding mower, and I think it would handle the BX. Personally, I would think the 4 x 8 would be a bit small for the BX, but it might work.

Bird

/ BX2200 Sanity Check #3  
Well, I do not know anything about chipping and bagging but the trailor------. I think the trailor is too small you mention. I have a 16 foot flatbed tandem axle. With the FEL and Box blade it barely fits. All up weight with mower, box blade and FEL is about 2460 lbs. Not much margin on a small trailer. You have a tracvtor there not a riding mower and it deserves a substantial trailer. Get something smaller for around the yard and get yourself a 16 footer for your BX. It will be a useful tool also for many things including the day you convince yourself the BX is not big enough (even though it is) and you go buy a L3010 to mow your grass. J

/ BX2200 Sanity Check #4  
After you've seen what happens when a single axle trailer loses a tire you'll never want anything but a double axle. You can't fill up even a 5x8 single axle traiiler with green firewood without overloading it. Balance on a dual axle is so much nicer.

If you start moving your BX a 16 is necessary if you want to move it with the loader and rear implement. You might also want to carry some other implements. 3pt means multiple toys!

del

/ BX2200 Sanity Check #5  
My vote would be with the tandem axle trailer. You will find a lot of use for the larger trailer and it will handle better pulling and backing up. As for the grass catcher. I use the Agri-Fab that has the 5 hp suction motor and trailer. It works pretty good with my BX and 54" mower. I mow about 1 acre and usually have to empty the catch trailer no more than 2 times. It works pretty good as a leaf catcher also. Purchased mine from Lowe's. Northern Tools has them but shipping might be a little high. Hope this information helps.

/ BX2200 Sanity Check #6  
I hope my earlier message wasn't too misleading; perhaps worded poorly. As I said, I think a 4' x 8' trailer would be too small, but there is no doubt at all the I could haul the BX on my 5' x 10' (I know the suspension can handle it and I hauled a B7100 on it once before I got the 6' x 16' tandem axle trailer), but that doesn't mean that I would recommend it. I agree with the other guys that a bigger trailer, and a tandem axle, is far preferable.

Bird

/ BX2200 Sanity Check #7  
I can throw in my $.02 regarding the trailer.

A friend of mine has a '95 vintage B7100 that he hauls around in the back of his (full size) pickup. It's pretty amazing to watch him load it up. The FEL goes up on top of the rack above the cab, and the back blade hangs out the back a little, but otherwise it's a neat fit.

You might be able to do the same thing with a BX, except that the FEL might not reach over the cab...

The GlueGuy

/ BX2200 Sanity Check #8  
GlueGuy,
I thought about trying that w/my 95 B7100HST w/FEL but chicken out.
What does your friend use for tailgate support also ramps?

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ BX2200 Sanity Check #9  
What does your friend use for tailgate support also ramps?

He takes the tailgate off completely. He has a couple of long aluminum (I think, 'cause they're not very heavy) ramps that he slides up between the wheels for transport. He lowers the back blade right behind the ramps to lock them in. Then he wraps a chain around the back of the backblade. Also has chain-type lock that he hooks up around the front.

It is a big pickup. Ford F350.

The GlueGuy

/ BX2200 Sanity Check #10  
Rock, I think your suspicion that a trailer for two fundamentaly different jobs will be good at neither is good intuition. The chore of carrying brush, firewood, mulch, manure etc is a lot easier with a serious dump trailer that elevates a good 60 degrees or you'll be shoveling it out. A stand alone 4 wheel trailer can free up the tractor's FEL for loading- handy if you have only one tractor. Also, clearence is more important than for road trailers. Personally I like a 15" wheel and good used tires are cheap. I've used a dump cart and it's fulcrum point doesn't allow a steep enough angle to empty brush, manure or mulch. Here is a link re farmstead wagons but I'd check around locally.There are many small trailer fabricators or welders to modify a farm wagon http://www.countrymfg.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi/page=wagons_trailers.htm/SID=984328010.28273

RCH