Backhoe Woods BH65 or new bx25?

/ Woods BH65 or new bx25? #1  

jwstoy

Tractor
BX2350
Hi Everyone, this is my first post to the forum but I have been studying it for a while. I am a campground owner in Nebraska and currently own a well maintained (800 hours) 2007 BX2350 with FEL, belly mower and a small grader. Currently I put about 300 hours a year on my tractor doing everything from mowing, grading RV sites and moving all kinds of stuff with the FEL. The tractor is probably the most valuable piece of equipment I own. My dilemma is that I didn't have the foresight or the budget when I bought the tractor to include a backhoe.

I really need a backhoe which would primarily be used for the following:
1. Repair water / utility power lines when RVs back into them (usually 2 or 3 times a year on a busy holiday)
2. Repair broken sewer lines
3. Run new utility lines throughout the campground as needed

The depths that I would need to operate at will range anywhere from 3 to 5 feet with a 9 or 12" bucket. Since the campground is full of obstacles the BX does a great job of fitting in places where a larger tractor just wouldn't fit. I estimate that I would use the backhoe about 40 hours per year. The soil type is clay/sand mix with a top layer (3 or 4 inches) of gravel.

I have gone to Kubota and they are adamant that I should trade in my BX2350 for a new BX25, telling me that I will be much happier with the unit and that the Woods BH65 is targeted more toward the consumer market and wouldn't really hold up to what would amount to light commercial use. Apparently the BX2350 HP is toward the lower end of the specifications on the Woods BH65. They also told me the BH65 subframe from Woods would not work with the belly mower. The total cost if I traded in my 2350 would run me around 13K.

I have a called around to Woods dealers and can be out the door with a BH65 just under 6K and keep the same tractor, they claim that it should work as well as the BX25 and that it should have enough power to do everything I need. None of the Woods dealers I talked to could tell me if the subframe would interfere with the belly mower.

Is there anyone out there with experience and can advise?
- How solid is the woods unit compared to the one on the BX25? Is it capable of light commercial use?
- Does it interfere with other implements - specifically belly mower and grader?
- Is it capable of handling the type of work I am describing?

The campground business has very tight margins and I really don't want to replace a perfectly working machine unless it is absolutely necessary. Thanks!

/ Woods BH65 or new bx25? #2  
I own a BX-25. I wouldn't advise you put a backhoe on the BX2350. I would advise you to look at rentals for a mini-excavator or backhoe. If the amount would be prohibitive, then I would bite the bullet and get the BX-25. You might be able to get a good deal on a used one. You should also understand that the BX-25 comes with no 3-pt hitch. It runs about $300, so if you are going to purchase a BX-25 from a dealer, maybe you could get the dealer to throw one in as part of the negotiation. I call my BX-25 a little pit bull. It's hardy and well built. I think you would be happy with one. Don't forget, if you are using it as part of a business you can depreciate it.

/ Woods BH65 or new bx25? #3  
You can do what my neighbor did, he has 2 BXs one set up for mowing and one set up for dirt work.

David

/ Woods BH65 or new bx25? #4  
I have traded my BX25D-1 to Barlows for a new Gehl skid steer which should arrive any day. The BX25 is sitting in my new barn with exactly 50 hours on it. Waiting to make the exchange. Contact Barlows about Marvin delivering this BX25 to you and taking your BX back to Ky with him.
I'd never put a not factory backhoe on a BX myself, never.
I've done made the deal so I have nothing to gain or lose if you do or don't make the deal with Barlows. My BX has always been kept inside other than when using it. I bought it for home and rental property (6 septic tanks) use.

/ Woods BH65 or new bx25? #5  
Well, having a bx24, I can tell you it's handy to have bh ready at all times and can take it off when not in use. I really would disregard the comment on renting a bh as you are a campground owner and it makes no sense to do the hassle of renting. It's sure is easier to have more then one machine, but if you only need one Kubota, then by all means trade in. Ask your self where is the hydraulic power from on woods? How easy is it to put on and off compared to bx25? I think after checking into this you may go in one direction of which purchase to buy. Also are you sure you need 5 feet deep of digging? The bx can go 4 south flat and 5 with bucket tipped out and the teeth will leave a ragged bottom

/ Woods BH65 or new bx25? #6  
Buy a used mini excavator. Better yet rent a 20-30 hp mini ex for 2-3 days and then you will know why they are so much better.

/ Woods BH65 or new bx25? #7  
Seems the pricing is a bit off - should be able to sell your machine for a bit more and get a BX for a better price. Rough guess is the BX with mower, BH, Thumb, 3pt should be around 19K (guessing you are tax exempt).
I bought one last year and use it to supplement are larger eqpt. Does a great job and can often get into places I would never be able to use larger eqpt (plus the lower weight helps)
A mini ex is a far better digger no doubt but they don't cut grass worth a darn.....

/ Woods BH65 or new bx25? #8  
buy a used BH65---shouldn't have to pay over $2500 for it--a 3PH would allow you to take it off and on rather quickly JMMHO

/ Woods BH65 or new bx25? #9  
buy a used BH65---shouldn't have to pay over $2500 for it--a 3PH would allow you to take it off and on rather quickly JMMHO

No disrespect intended but If you are meaning a 3pt hoe - I would be VERY careful with a 3pt hoe on a small tractor. The hoe on the BX will lift, shove and throw that small machine all over the place. It will often pull the front wheels off the ground so I personally would think that would be a bit much for the light 3pt hitches on the smaller machines. I personally feel if you want to use the machine in a light commercial setting you are much better off in the long run buying the machine that was 100% designed for a hoe/digging.