Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS #1  

KYKub

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota - BX 1860 and G1900
Getting ready for snow and decided to follow the lead of others on this forum and install auxiliary lighting on my BX. Found the factory-installed auxiliary power wires under the seat.
20151125_163949.jpg

Ordered 4 18-watt LED lamps from Amazon. After reviewing several other folks' installs, I decided to go with mounting lights to ROPS with magnets. No drilling into ROPS and the flexibility to remove or move to rear of ROPS when not needed. I ordered 2" diameter magnets, drilled center holes to accommodate mounting bracket bolt and attached each light to a magnet.
20151129_164554.jpg

Ran wires through split loom conduit into a box mounted on the safety sign bracket. I never use the tractor on the road so didn't need the sign and the bracket made a perfect mounting place for a switch box.
20151129_164540.jpg

The auxiliary connection is hot any time the key switch is "on" so a switch is needed, unless you want the lights always on. I first installed a couple of exposed small rocker switches, but decided I liked the box mount better. A nice clean install on the dash would be great, but I didn't want to learn from mistakes in trying the install in dash.

Opinions: 1) The magnets hold the lights very securely. I wouldn't try this method if I was operating in an environment where they would get caught on limbs all the time, but for winter plowing they are great. I originally planned to move or remove them for use other than plowing, but I'll leave them and see how it goes. It would take a pretty good whack to move them. I used 2" magnets but it would be even more secure with a 3" magnet (ROPS is 3"). Magnets also allow you to easily position for front, rear, or side lighting. 2) The lights are very bright with draw of only 1.5 amps per light (4 lights = 6 amps). It's hard to "show" light coverage at night with a photo, but two lights facing forward and two facing rearward offer plenty of nice white light for my needs. 3) The lights are better quality than I expected from an $11 product ($44 total for four). Aluminum housing and low profile.
20151129_164516.jpg

Glad to have this forum as a place to learn and copy good ideas!

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS #2  
It snows in KY?!:confused2::eek: Who knew?!:laughing:

Nice job, pics, etc.
Part #s please, lights and for magnets too.

Thanks

CM

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS
Thanks, CM. Yep, snows in KY! Nothing like VT, but just enough to need to plow a handful of times each season. A 6" snow is a pretty good snow around here.

Here are Amazon links:

Lights - Amazon.com: Signstek 2*18W CREE LED Flood Light Headlight Work Light Lamp off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor off Road Light Fog Driving Bar Rree Truck SUV Car IP67 Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof (Black): Automotive
Signstek 2*18W CREE LED Flood Light Headlight Work Light Lamp off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor off Road Light Fog Driving Bar Rree Truck SUV Car IP67 Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof (Black)

Magnets - Master Magnetics RB50CX6 Round Base Magnet Fastener with 0.197" Center Hole Chrome Plate, 2.04" Diameter, 0.302" Thick, 35 Pounds, Silver (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Master Magnetics RB50CX6 Round Base Magnet Fastener with 0.197" Center Hole Chrome Plate, 2.04" Diameter, 0.302" Thick, 35 Pounds, Silver (Pack of 6)

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS #4  
Tried same idea with a small FEL mounted video camera. Unfortunately the vibrations and shocks from the loader arms kept knocking it out of alignment even when mounted using a 220lb pull magnet.

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS #5  
Looks like a clean install and easy to remove if you ever feel the need. If I might make one suggestion, it would be to run a small piece of wire or cable (like a guitar string size) to "catch" them if they were to hit something and get pulled off. That way the electric wire won't be whats catching them and possibly getting torn out. You can run it a half inch shorter than the electric wire and through the same loom to a secure spot. I've had temp mounted things come off in the weirdest ways and it usually costs me money.

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS #6  
Thanks, CM. Yep, snows in KY! Nothing like VT, but just enough to need to plow a handful of times each season. A 6" snow is a pretty good snow around here.

Here are Amazon links:

Lights - Amazon.com: Signstek 2*18W CREE LED Flood Light Headlight Work Light Lamp off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor off Road Light Fog Driving Bar Rree Truck SUV Car IP67 Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof (Black): Automotive
Signstek 2*18W CREE LED Flood Light Headlight Work Light Lamp off Road High Power ATV Jeep 4x4 Tractor off Road Light Fog Driving Bar Rree Truck SUV Car IP67 Waterproof Dustproof Shockproof (Black)

Magnets - Master Magnetics RB50CX6 Round Base Magnet Fastener with 0.197" Center Hole Chrome Plate, 2.04" Diameter, 0.302" Thick, 35 Pounds, Silver (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Master Magnetics RB50CX6 Round Base Magnet Fastener with 0.197" Center Hole Chrome Plate, 2.04" Diameter, 0.302" Thick, 35 Pounds, Silver (Pack of 6)

Thanks! And may all your storms be few and light, but enough to have to get out the plow and kick the snow's butt!:thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestion, JJ. You're right, and given that my plan is to leave them on and see what happens, it's a certainty that I will end up dragging them off at some point! Maybe a piece of wire connected to the zip ties would do it.

Funny, I used to dread shoveling snow, then got a Kubota G1900 with plow blade and enjoyed plowing. Now have a BX with FEL and Snow Rake and can't wait to play in the snow!

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS #9  
Looks good. Could you post some more pics of the switch box? I like the placement of it.

/ Magnet Mounted LED ROPS Lights - PICS #10  
Nice work, and great idea with the magnets.