BX Bucket Hooks Install - PICS

/ BX Bucket Hooks Install - PICS #1  

KYKub

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota - BX 1860 and G1900
Took advantage of having my son in for Thanksgiving (he's a welder) and mounted a couple of bucket hooks on my BX. A pretty simple modification, but I sure appreciate when folks on this forum post step-by-step instructions so I hope this might be helpful to others.

My favorite part of the modification? Spending some time on a project with my son and having him be the guy who knows what he's doing! With it being Thanksgiving, my antennae are up concerning things for which I am thankful. The older I get, the more I appreciate the blessing of kids and thank God (literally) that they are young people who have married well, have good work ethics, and are intentional about their Christian faith.

Ordered chrome "tow hooks" from Amazon for $5 each. Also ordered a couple of "weld on anchors" from Amazon ($6.64 each) that were just right for mounting high enough to rise above the bucket lip.
20151126_143132.jpg

Used angle grinder to remove paint in areas to be welded.
20151126_144653.jpg

Centered mounts between bucket arms and center cylinder, making sure there would be no obstruction with range of motion.

Welded mounts to bucket.
20151126_145258.jpg

Welding "burned" paint off inside of bucket.
20151127_105140.jpg

Hooks were bolt-on so ground chrome finish off areas to be welded. "Plug welded" the bolt holes and welded to mounts. Welds wouldn't have been nearly as nice if I was the welder!
20151127_110447.jpg

Primed, then painted with Rustoleum "Lobster Red" spray paint. Very pleased with the match. You can tell where new paint is applied, especially inside of bucket where original paint is more damaged, but it's about as close as you can get to factory paint without going to the dealer.
20151127_112402.jpg20151127_161529.jpg20151129_164444.jpg

Attachments

• 20151127_110427.jpg
    20151127_110427.jpg
    783.9 KB · Views: 558
   / BX Bucket Hooks Install - PICS #2  
Nice. I have been considering adding hooks myself.
Thanks,

/ BX Bucket Hooks Install - PICS #3  
Nice, Fancy chrome hooks :) You may kick your self later for not installing chain hooks... my 2cts...

/ BX Bucket Hooks Install - PICS
Thanks, Firefighter. I almost installed chain hooks but settled on the tow hooks because, for me, they were more versatile. I don't do any serious tractor work, just work around the home. Most of my lifting and pulling is with rope or tow straps. If I ever need a chain hook, I'll mount one in the center.

Looks like you're outfitted for real tractor work! :)

/ BX Bucket Hooks Install - PICS #5  
Just a couple of additional ideas:

1. Welding a section of 1/2" pipe under the lip of the bucket really increases its strength. It looks like it still could be done. (It may be 3/4" pipe instead...can't recall.)

2. Another good spot for a hook is on the back of the bucket. Then heavier loads can be lifted closer to the fulcrum of the FEL without as much ballast.

Kudos for not putting hooks on the outside edges of the bucket. Those are a tip-over waiting to happen. Many folks make that mistake.

Nice welds as you pointed out.

/ BX Bucket Hooks Install - PICS #7  
Thanks, Firefighter. I almost installed chain hooks but settled on the tow hooks because, for me, they were more versatile. I don't do any serious tractor work, just work around the home. Most of my lifting and pulling is with rope or tow straps. If I ever need a chain hook, I'll mount one in the center.

Looks like you're outfitted for real tractor work! :)

:thumbsup:

/ BX Bucket Hooks Install - PICS
Thanks, gwdixon. I can see how a pipe welded to inside top of bucket would add a lot of strength. I also like the idea of a lower rear mounted hook for lifting the heaviest loads. As I mentioned previously, I don't do much in the way of real tractor work; however, I do enjoy tinkering around on this little tractor and always like to have a project or two in the hopper.

You're right, too, about having to be careful of tip over. I haven't tipped sideways, but did tip forward once while loading a riding mower in my pickup bed. I got off the BX to position the mower as it dangled above the truck bed and as soon as I got off the machine - down it went! Luckily only a few inches until the mower hit the truck bed, but it definitely got my attention! I have a ballast box but wasn't using it. Lucky I didn't experience more pain than a bruised ego.

/ BX Bucket Hooks Install - PICS #9  
Most of my lifting and pulling is with rope or tow straps. If I ever need a chain hook, I'll mount one in the center.

Get clevis-end grab and slip hooks. Fasten them on a one or two link long chain. Hook it on your bucket hook when you need to grab a chain.

Bruce

/ BX Bucket Hooks Install - PICS #10  
Be careful on what your loads are. Those hooks location still puts uneven stress on one side of the bucket. The BX bucket really twists on the arms easy as I found out the first time. I decided to install D rings (bolted on) above and below the center curl cylinder. I always use shackles with straps or eye splices and an open hook on one end of the chain. This arrangement allows pulling along the ground or lifting at the best fulcrum point. My loads stay 6" above the ground unless the tractor is stationary. If the BH is on use the outriggers for added stability if not moving.

Ron