Kubota L3200 block heater

/ Kubota L3200 block heater #11  
No special pulling action, just wiggle it a little.

I'm not sure about your install, but on mine I didn't use or need any kind of thread sealer or Teflon tape. My heater element has a rubber gasket that seals by compression.

Jeff

/ Kubota L3200 block heater #12  
I may not get to it until Spring, but I'm going to give it a go. A couple questions. Once the frost plug is tipped/tilted, what kind of pulling action is used with the vise grip to free it from the block? What kind of Locktite is used for the fitting that replaces the frost plug and socket size to tap the fitting in place? Did you use Teflon tape or the Teflon that comes in a tube on the heater element that screws into the fitting? Thanks for the help!

Once you get the freeze plug tipped enough to grab it with pliers, just pull it out. I put permatex gasket sealer on the outside rim of the nipple then tapped it in. Just find a socket that will work. I can't remember the size. Make sure you don't tap it in too far because the cylinder wall is pretty close to the hole. That's the reason for the nipple. Once you get the plug out, you'll have a better idea of what you need to do. Use Teflon tape on the threads for the element.

/ Kubota L3200 block heater
A few weeks ago I asked a local Kubota dealer about installing the block heater. He had a different method for removing the frost plug. He said I could drill a small hole in the frost plug and insert a screw to pull on and remove the plug. I told him I would be concerned about drilling when the water jacket and cylinder wall are so close and about drill shavings possibly falling into the water jacket. He said to be careful and slow drilling and antifreeze will leak and prevent any metal from going inside. Really!!! Antifreeze leaking all over the place! I was surprised to hear that approach. Sounded like a hack job to me. I think he should have given me the explanations you all have provided that follow the directions that are included with the part.

/ Kubota L3200 block heater #14  
A few weeks ago I asked a local Kubota dealer about installing the block heater. He had a different method for removing the frost plug. He said I could drill a small hole in the frost plug and insert a screw to pull on and remove the plug. I told him I would be concerned about drilling when the water jacket and cylinder wall are so close and about drill shavings possibly falling into the water jacket. He said to be careful and slow drilling and antifreeze will leak and prevent any metal from going inside. Really!!! Antifreeze leaking all over the place! I was surprised to hear that approach. Sounded like a hack job to me. I think he should have given me the explanations you all have provided that follow the directions that are included with the part.[/

Drills are a no no on a soft plug. Your intuitions are correct. He's a hack that obviously hasn't done this before. The plug has to be tipped to the side to me removed. There are hundreds of how to videos on YouTube showing how to remove them out of an engine.

I was surprised, to say the least, at the approach offered at the dealer. Just to qualify everything, the guy who told me about the drilling method I think was a parts person or service scheduler. I was at the dealer when the service shop was closed, so I assume I was not talking to a mechanic. He should have told me to call when a service person would be available. Oh well, I have learned a lot from this posting and should be able to get it done. I just want to do it when weather conditions are more moderate.

/ Kubota L3200 block heater #16  
I have the plug from my BX2230 here and it is in good enough condition that it could be reused, so it does not take a lot of force to get it out. I used some red Loctite on the bushing that you hammer in. On one of the other ones with the threaded plug I used Teflon paste pipe dope.

David

/ Kubota L3200 block heater #17  
Sort of a moot comment, but when I bought my used L3130, I just assumed it needed a block heater like the one I had installed on my B8200 some years before. The B8200 really needed it! The dealer told me not to bother, that the glow plugs would take care of starting just fine. They did. Being a Grand L, the tractor even determined how long they needed to be on! My used L3400 also works fine without a heater. The warmth from a heater certainly doesn't hurt, and should make life easier for your tractor, but consider it a treat, not a necessity.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. My L3200 presently sits in an unheated garage, and even on the coldest days I doubt it gets below 0 inside. And even on the coldest days I'm probably not going to be using it. When I have used it to plow/push some snow, it has started with a little glow plug warm up. I did think it would be a little easier on it if it was warmed with the block heater, maybe a little frill for not much money. There may come a time when the tractor may not be as "secure" in a garage on cold days and I thought the heater would be more beneficial then. I don't know . . . I guess some tractor owners, ME, are always looking to improve the operation/functionality of their tractors and equipment especially if it doesn't involve much expense or effort yet provides a worthwhile advantage to its performance. Thanks for your perspective.

/ Kubota L3200 block heater #19  
Ah, DEK, I just noted that you are in the UP... maybe a block heater is a good idea, even if you don't absolutely require it to start your tractor, the slight warmth in the block can only be a good thing. Our barn, while it can get cold, is seldom below 20 degrees, so I am forgoing the heater.

Yes, last winter we were cold in the UP. If I remember correctly, February we had temps -20 to -30 F and the wind chill was colder. Of course, it would be foolish to be out in that weather unless absolutely necessary. I think it would be easier on the tractor and I could feel pretty assured it would start in colder weather. And the heater is not a big investment. Just trying to have some added security with starting.

You have owned some nice Kubotas. I'll bet the L3130 was a real nice tractor. Your L3400 is very similar to my L3200. They are great machines. I'm thinking the L3200 will be the last tractor I buy unless I can find something similar in size with a cab without spending a lot of $.