Deciding Between Front and Rear Blade or Snow Blower

/ Deciding Between Front and Rear Blade or Snow Blower #1  

savaytse66

Bronze Member
Tractor
2010 BX25
I am moving onto a large property this winter, so I am currently re-evaluating my needs. I have a BX25 with an FEL and BH (Obviously), and I also have a box blade for the back. Currently, the combination of FEL and box blade work well for removing snow from my 100 foot driveway, but I expect this to change when I have to take care of my new 900 foot drive.

Whatever I get, I want to make sure I can maximize its usefulness. This probably takes the snowblower out of the equation since it is not a multi-tasker. It is more expensive to buy and maintain anyway. So that leaves me choosing between a front and rear blade. My thought is that the rear blade probably offers more utility during the summer, but because I already have the box blade, maybe not.

Does anyone have an opinion whether a front or rear blade would be a better investment, knowing that I already have an FEL and a box blade? My most immediate need is snow removal, but I'd like the opportunity to use it for other things as well. Does one work better than the other for snow?

/ Deciding Between Front and Rear Blade or Snow Blower #2  
Is the drive paved. How much snow on average does a storm dump?

/ Deciding Between Front and Rear Blade or Snow Blower #3  
Typically (if there is such a thing), how much snow / how many storms do you get a winter?
Would snowbanks be a problem (i.e. do you have a place to put the snow)? Are there ditches that limit how far you can push back snow banks?
Terrain (flat/hilly)?
Drifts?
Do you have a cab or open station?
Gravel/paved?

I like snowblowers (no snowbanks, can direct where snow goes independent of direction of travel, really efficient (can move/cut snowbanks with little horsepower and or weight/traction vs a plow). Cons: More moving parts and it makes you grow hair on your chest if you have an open station when it's windy and 10 degrees out.
That being said I'm buying a rear blade (6 way?- angle, tilt, offfset) as a back-up for my snowblower and for use off my paved driveway.

Last edited:
   / Deciding Between Front and Rear Blade or Snow Blower #4  
Guess I'm the odd man out....I have and use both a front plow and a snowblower. As stated above, the blower leaves no snow banks that have to be pushed back. I switch to the plow when the ground has not frozen or if there is but an inch or two of snow. I do utilize my FEL to "lower the snow banks the town likes to plow up on the street. With the ease of switching out the implements I don't worry about which attachment is on the tractor. So far this winter I haven't had to even move the tractor....NO SNOW!!!!!

/ Deciding Between Front and Rear Blade or Snow Blower #5  
Guess I'm the odd man out....I have and use both a front plow and a snowblower. As stated above, the blower leaves no snow banks that have to be pushed back. I switch to the plow when the ground has not frozen or if there is but an inch or two of snow. I do utilize my FEL to "lower the snow banks the town likes to plow up on the street. With the ease of switching out the implements I don't worry about which attachment is on the tractor. So far this winter I haven't had to even move the tractor....NO SNOW!!!!!

You are not the odd man out. I use a pto snowblower and a front plow for my BX24. During a harsh winter, the snowbanks narrow my driveway too much for the plow to be effective. So, the snowblower eliminates that problem

/ Deciding Between Front and Rear Blade or Snow Blower #6  
One major factor is - how much snow will you get in a season. With a smaller tractor it is quite difficult to move the snow berms back with just a front or rear blade - especially on a driveway 900 feet long. A snow blower eliminates berm problems.

There are several implements that are single use - Examples, snow blower, wood chipper, post hole auger, bottom plow etc, etc.

If you will get more than a foot of snow - I would seriously consider a pto driven snow blower.

/ Deciding Between Front and Rear Blade or Snow Blower #7  
At my age another factor is how much enjoyment and or comfort might come along with the toys rather than approaching it from a purely practical angle. I'm 66 and a few years ago was tired enough of being cold and wet - so I built a cab. A year later there was a good deal on a rear snow blower that I snapped up. I go with the FEL and rear blower now on the Kubota. The FEL and a rear blade worked on the Kubota, but the blower is more fun and I can control the chute from inside the cab. The Ford only has a rear blade, but it works pretty well on most of our snows. It spends Winters at our church and is very useful there.

/ Deciding Between Front and Rear Blade or Snow Blower #8  
I have a BX23. For the first few years I used a back blade. Then when BX expanded came out with a plow blade
for the bucket I went to that. Plowing while going forward is really nice. You can mount the plow in about 1 or 2 minutes.

Kevin

/ Deciding Between Front and Rear Blade or Snow Blower #9  
I have a front mounted snowblower and a 5 foot rear blade that I use an two 300 foot driveways. I use the back blade when we get a few inches of snow, angle the blade and and run up and down the drives wind rolling the snow to one side then blow the snow and done. Use the front blower for snowfalls greater the a few inches, move the snow once, blow it away. Front blowers usually throw snow further that rear blowers.

/ Deciding Between Front and Rear Blade or Snow Blower #10  
If you average less than 100 inches per year a front mounted blade should serve you well.The problem with a rear blade is that you have to drive over first and the BX's have some what limited clearance.