3-Point Hitch m7040 kubota

/ m7040 kubota #1  

game warden

Tractor
kubota m7040
I bought a used m7040 Kubota been using it to load hay and everything seems to work just fine. Now it's time to plant some rye grass. When I try to hook up my implements to the 3pt. hitch the lift will not raise high enough to hook up. 3pt. hitch seems to work just fine, when I lower it drops to the ground and when I raise it comes up just fine but not high enough. I have made all adjustments on side and top links and still does not come up high enough. Is there other adjustments somewhere that I can adjust so that 3pt. will come up high ? Had a Ford tractor before and never had this problem, please help running out of time.

/ m7040 kubota #2  
There should be two holes in the lift arms, one will lift more and one has greater range.

/ m7040 kubota
I have made all adjustments to the lift arms and top link and still will not raise high to work implements. If I tried real hard might be able to hook up a set of disc, but will not be able to travel without disc dragging on the ground.

/ m7040 kubota #4  
I agree the 3PH on a M7040 does not lift high enough for my tastes either. But there are some things you can do.

>There is a lift limiting linkage that can be adjusted so the 3PH will lift until the hydraulic pump goes into relief.
Here is a photo of it. It is at the top of the left side lift arm. Adjusting it shorter will allow more lift. If it is too short then the pump goes into relief with the 3PH all the way up and the FEL doesn't work correctly until the 3PH is lowered. The idea is to adjust it just so when the 3PH is all the way up the pump and FEL works correctly. I gained about 6" of lift after adjusting mine.

M7040_3PH_adj01.jpg

>Also, you can get a second adjustable 3PH vertical lift arm (w/turnbuckle) so both lift arms can be shortened to the minimum length.

I have a hydraulic "tilt" for the right lift arm and transferred the right adjustable to the left side. Now both sides can be adjusted. That also increased the ground clearance. But you'd get the same effect with two mechanical vertical lift arms. Although a bit expensive, it would save the exorbitant cost of a hydraulic "top and tilt". (Although I highly recommend the T&T. Then when traveling you can shorten the hydraulic top link from the seat and the rear gang of disc pans easily clears the ground...like by 3 feet, or so.)

>You can cut down the solid vertical lift arm so it matches the adjustable arm in its shortest configuration and then weld it back together. That is probably the least desirable since adjustments would be limited.

Just to double check. The lower horizontal lift arm should be set at the hole farthest from the tractor and the vertical lift arm pin should be set in the top hole to get maximum height. Sound like you have already tried this.

/ m7040 kubota
Thanks for the info., just bought another adjustable vertical lift arm (with turnbuckle) going make both as short as possible. When I get back to my tractor I will give the lift limiting linkage a try. Looked in owners manual and saw nothing about that, thanks again !!!!

/ m7040 kubota #6  
I agree the 3PH on a M7040 does not lift high enough for my tastes either. But there are some things you can do.

>There is a lift limiting linkage that can be adjusted so the 3PH will lift until the hydraulic pump goes into relief.
Here is a photo of it. It is at the top of the left side lift arm. Adjusting it shorter will allow more lift. If it is too short then the pump goes into relief with the 3PH all the way up and the FEL doesn't work correctly until the 3PH is lowered. The idea is to adjust it just so when the 3PH is all the way up the pump and FEL works correctly. I gained about 6" of lift after adjusting mine.

View attachment 451345

>Also, you can get a second adjustable 3PH vertical lift arm (w/turnbuckle) so both lift arms can be shortened to the minimum length.

I have a hydraulic "tilt" for the right lift arm and transferred the right adjustable to the left side. Now both sides can be adjusted. That also increased the ground clearance. But you'd get the same effect with two mechanical vertical lift arms. Although a bit expensive, it would save the exorbitant cost of a hydraulic "top and tilt". (Although I highly recommend the T&T. Then when traveling you can shorten the hydraulic top link from the seat and the rear gang of disc pans easily clears the ground...like by 3 feet, or so.)

>You can cut down the solid vertical lift arm so it matches the adjustable arm in its shortest configuration and then weld it back together. That is probably the least desirable since adjustments would be limited.

Just to double check. The lower horizontal lift arm should be set at the hole farthest from the tractor and the vertical lift arm pin should be set in the top hole to get maximum height. Sound like you have already tried this.

I've got T&T on an M7040...but also R4 tires, which lowers everything just a bit. I've noticed the 3pt not raising as high as I would like, but adjusting which holes the side links go to on the arms has pretty well taken care of it. And simply shorting the top link helps a great deal. T&T spoils you.

Having said that...I am not familiar with that lift linkage. Adjusting it shorter? From the pic I don't see how that's accomplished. I suppose it's in the manual, but I've never noticed it nor do I have it at hand. How is the adjustment done?

/ m7040 kubota #7  
loosen the jam nut on turnbuckle, start tractor, raise lift all the way up, I think you shorten it ( i lift doesn't raise lengthen it ) till the engine loads, then back off a hair, tighten jam nut back up. won't find this in manual

/ m7040 kubota #8  
loosen the jam nut on turnbuckle, start tractor, raise lift all the way up, I think you shorten it ( i lift doesn't raise lengthen it ) till the engine loads, then back off a hair, tighten jam nut back up. won't find this in manual

Thanks. I'll check that....perhaps on a warmer and drier day.

/ m7040 kubota #9  
I've got T&T on an M7040...but also R4 tires, which lowers everything just a bit. I've noticed the 3pt not raising as high as I would like, but adjusting which holes the side links go to on the arms has pretty well taken care of it. And simply shorting the top link helps a great deal. T&T spoils you.

Having said that...I am not familiar with that lift linkage. Adjusting it shorter? From the pic I don't see how that's accomplished. I suppose it's in the manual, but I've never noticed it nor do I have it at hand. How is the adjustment done?

I have an M7040 with factory cab on r4 tires.
I also have the workshop manual which my dealer provided on a USB stick when I bought my tractor.
The linkage being referred to is called the position feedback rod and its function has to do with providing a signal to the draft control.
I am not happy with the lift height in spite of using the high lift hole of the lift arms.
However, I would be reluctant to start messing with the feedback rod.
If you will park your tractor on a hard level surface and measure the height above ground with the lift arms down and up, I will do the same and then you will have a comparison.
Suggest we agree to take the measurements to the center of the implement attachment hole at the end of the arm.
Dave M7040

/ m7040 kubota #10  
I have an M7040 with factory cab on r4 tires.
I also have the workshop manual which my dealer provided on a USB stick when I bought my tractor.
The linkage being referred to is called the position feedback rod and its function has to do with providing a signal to the draft control.
I am not happy with the lift height in spite of using the high lift hole of the lift arms.
However, I would be reluctant to start messing with the feedback rod.
If you will park your tractor on a hard level surface and measure the height above ground with the lift arms down and up, I will do the same and then you will have a comparison.
Suggest we agree to take the measurements to the center of the implement attachment hole at the end of the arm.
Dave M7040

OK....I'll do that tomorrow and let you know. I'd like it a 'little' better but I'm not having issues like game warden who started this thread. Just seems it should be higher. I had another M7040 in Texas with R1 tires, and I didn't even once think about the height the 3pt came up....so I kind of dissed it off as being an R4 tire thing. But I'll measure and post back.