MX5800, first 16 hours

/ MX5800, first 16 hours #1  

sea2summit

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1860->25D, MX5800, M4D
I'm very impressed so far. I was looking at 5200's but after shopping and getting Barlow's pricing I got the 5800. When I got to the shop it had 2.1 hrs on it and by the time I tied it down it had an even 3. First day I played around with it but nothing serious and got it up to 9.1 hrs and topped it off with just less than four gallons, thought it was because I didn't do anything that hard with it. Day two of operation I kept the RPMs between 1650 and 1800 doing a lot of backhoe work for a little more than 7 hours, topped it with about 4.75 gal (sorry all I have is a five gallon can to measure). Pretty impressive considering my BX doesn't use that much less and the MX does a whole crap ton more work. We'll see what happens at the higher RPMs for PTO work etc but for right now I'm tickled pink.

Obligatory tractor pic.

/ MX5800, first 16 hours #2  
Very nice! It sounds like it is more efficient than the MX5100.

/ MX5800, first 16 hours #3  
Not throw cold water but my fule usage goes way up at or above PTO speed. Still not horrible IMO
Of course im not turbo charged so YMMV (literally).

/ MX5800, first 16 hours #4  
Great looking tractor, and beautiful little girl. I just love my 5100, I haven't done a days work with it in three years, all fun...

/ MX5800, first 16 hours #5  
Not throw cold water but my fule usage goes way up at or above PTO speed. Still not horrible IMO
Of course im not turbo charged so YMMV (literally).

Yeah, that's true, it will go up at PTO speed. I do a lot of loader work at around 1800-2200 rpm, and hours of log splitting at 1600 rpm.

/ MX5800, first 16 hours #6  
Yep - my fuel usage goes way up when I brush hog. I do work in some heavy weeds and on some steep hills so that may not help the fuel usage. But no matter what it sure beats using a weedwacker!

/ MX5800, first 16 hours #7  
So, what kind of fuel useage do you guys get with MX5100s? Near as I can tell, mine uses about 2 gallons/hour when working it.

/ MX5800, first 16 hours #8  
Im right around there also. If I am running full power doing heavy brush hog work I seem a bit closer to 2.5 gph.

/ MX5800, first 16 hours #9  
Noticed you said you did hours of log splitting>>>I have tghe MX5100 and have been trying to evaluate whether to go hydro on a log splitter using the tractor. What do you use?

/ MX5800, first 16 hours #10  
i think you made a great choice on that model. i once had an earlier version of the series. personally, i wouldn't worry a bit on fuel consumption on a quality machine like that. it might even get better after the break in. enjoy the excitement of your new ride. :)