Brushcutter and BXtractor

/ Brushcutter and BXtractor #1  

Nik

Gold Member
Tractor
B3030 Kubota HST
I have a B2410 with 4'Woods brushcutter. It works well. I was wondering how the BX tractor does with a brushcutter and in particular with a Woods estate cutter or similar subcompact rotary cutter. Is the ride rough since subcompacts are smaller and have smaller wheels. Is it hard to raise the cutter because of the limited lift of the 3 point hitch? Lastly, do they cut well even though they have slightly shorter blades? My dealer feels the 4' brushbull cutter is a liitle too big for the BX series and recommends the 42" cutter.
Thanks.

/ Brushcutter and BXtractor #2  
I have borrowed a friend's BX2200 and his 4' Woods Brush Bull. (Now that I have the B9200 I just need to borrow the Brush Bull /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

1. The BX2200 strains when starting the mower. Really bogs down. Once is gets up to speed though you don't know the mower is back there. I've mowed weeds (no brush) that were taller than the ROPS. It does a very good job of mowing. I think the ride on the BX is rougher than on larger tractors because of the small tires, but it depends on how rough the area you'll be using it is. My food plot is fairly rough in spots.

2. The BX2200 isn't tall enough to lift the mower wheel off the ground. This may or may not be an issue for you. It will lift the mower, just not very high.

/ Brushcutter and BXtractor #3  
I have a BX2200 with a 42" Gearmore brushcutter. Because BX PTO clutches engage so abruptly, I engage the clutch at low RPM, then bring the blades up to speed. The combination will cut anything; you could almost use it as a stump grinder. As the tractor and cutter are the same width, I am able to make precision turns and cuts between trees and bushes. It's true that the cutter cannot be lifted to a great height. I can, however, lift it quite adequately to roll my homemade dolly beneath the cutter for easy on/off manipulation.

/ Brushcutter and BXtractor #4  
Another thing I like about the BX2200 with the 42" Gearmore cutter is that the BX has a very low center of gravity. I have some sculpted mounds & berms in places where I need to cut weeds. I can take this BX onto roller coaster terrain-places most other tractors would have tipped way before I get even slightly nervous on the BX.