Damaged block installing block heater L5240

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #461  
It should already have a vent, sounds as if its stopped up.

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #462  
I checked again last night and I see another oil drip forming on the clutch drain. Not pleased. I am trying not to get too worked up about it. I still have a hunch that the front axle pinion seal is the culprit and that the oil is running down the driveshaft cover into the clutch housing.

Last year, I had oil dripping from the driveshaft cover and in the clutch housing. I monitored all oil regularly, and the only place I lost oil/fluid was in the front axle. It was regularly 2+ quarts low. I never saw oil drip anywhere on the axle seals. Just on the outside of the driveshaft and in the clutch housing.

Whenever I would check it, the fill plug would hiss as if it had built up a few pounds of pressure. Fingers crossed that this is my problem. My first order of business is to take the plug out, and drill & tap for 1/8" NPT. I'll put a 90deg hose barb and vent up into the engine compartment to see if that helps.

When I checked mine last, there was a slight pressure built up.. Is the axle supposed to vent?

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #463  
So, will you leave the snow chains on for winter since it's coming up soon? :D
They could be muddin chains.

I had a hard time not making a comment when I wrote that! If you notice, I wrote "take the plug out and drill & tap". Just think, if I had only removed the frost plug BEFORE I drilled through it, how much easier my project would have been!
And if you had many of us would have had to look elsewhere for entertainment.

WE NEED A VIDEO!! With SOUND!!

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240
How do I upload a video? When I look in my photos, I can see the video, but when I try to attach, I can only choose from photos.

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #465  
How do I upload a video? When I look in my photos, I can see the video, but when I try to attach, I can only choose from photos.
You have to upload it to Youtube (or some other video site) and link it to here.

Aaron Z

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #466  
Is everything all wrapped up on this? What about that oil drip? Any retrospective words or comments on the entire adventure?

Is everything all wrapped up on this? What about that oil drip? Any retrospective words or comments on the entire adventure?

Everything is still good. I have not looked into the oil drip. I have not seen any new oil in a while. I am still convinced that it is the front axle seal and will go away once I vent it and switch to gear oil.

I've got almost 10hrs on it so far with no problems. Dad managed to break one of the tail lights last week while I was at work. He was coming down the mountain with a load of lumber from the sawmill and it wasn't strapped down tight enough on the trailer. I am not thrilled about him using the tractor right now as I am very cautious about monitoring the coolant, oil, temperature and hydraulic oil. With that said, every time we use it and nothing goes wrong, I become more confident in it.

He wanted to cut hay with it, but I just couldn't get it over there before he was ready to cut. Then his IH544 started acting up again (I call it ol' scrapiron), so we may bale some hay with my tractor before the summer is over..

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #468  
Sounds like a happy ending. My experience is that if anything was going to go wrong it would have done it in the first few minutes.

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #469  
Good to hear it is working correctly. I've baled with my 5240 once so far and I was very happy with how it handled.

Was bringing some lumber down the mountain from the sawmill yesterday and I looked at the hour meter. I have logged 51 hours on the 5240 since the rebuild. Time for the annual oil change... Everything still works well. I do need to attend to the front crankshaft seal (lost about a quart of oil in the last 10 months). Also, no more leaks from the transmission output shaft seal either.

I was over at my dads house on Easter Sunday looking at his new MX5100. Thought it was funny that the dealer chose to ignore the instructions when they installed the block heater. They put it in the most easily accessible frost plug location. Huh, maybe I should have done that!