Damaged block installing block heater L5240

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #1  

Adiredneck

Gold Member
Tractor
2006 Kubota L3400DT, Kubota L5240
I had two things to take care of tonight.

1). Install a block heater.

2) replace the rubber suction hose that connects to the hydraulic pump. It's cracked and sucking air, causing power steering problems.

Instructions on the block heater call for removing the hydraulic pump to access the frost plug closest to the flywheel. No problem. Area is very tight with the remaining hydraulic lines (steel) surrounding the area of the frost plug. I had the loader removed, but the quick connects were also in my way.

I then took a long Phillips screwdriver and tapped against the edge of the frost plug. It went in maybe 1/8" and stopped. Took my cordless drill and drilled a hole to see if I could pry it off with a pole barn nail or something. Drilled a couple more holes. Finally got the frost plug to spin and was able to grab it with some needle nose pliers. Looked and saw what I had done and freaked out for a minute. The water jacket was maybe 5/16 deep and there is metal right there!

Freak out time over, I collected my thoughts and took a small nail and felt around in the small holes I had drilled.. They are maybe 1/8" deep, 3 of them. Around 5/32" in diameter. No way I could have damaged Anything I tell myself. Block is likely very thick.

Cleaned up the block, installed block heater, re-assembled hydraulic pump, filled with coolant. No leaks. Good deal.

Start up the tractor. Power steering is acting right. Then I notice oil coming out of the exhaust. Rev it up a little, more oil. Shut it down, Freak out again and check the engine oil. $&@k!. Oil is white. Sick to my stomach. 9:30 at night, call dad to explain the symptoms. "Not good". He says.

I'm at a loss for words now. I'll take everything back apart tomorrow and get the exact depths with my caliper. Maybe the only saving grace may be that that the holes are only down in area just below the cylinder sleeve. Seems like it would not have drilled so easily. I couldn't put much pressure on the drill because of everything in my way.

Just sickening...

Any suggestions on how or if there is a fix for this would be greatly appreciated. Maybe it could be accessed from the inside by removing the crank? Does anyone know on this engine what is directly behind the 1st frost plug on the right side?

Luckily I still have my L3400, so I'm not without a tractor.

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #2  
Wow. I feel for you. Sounds like something I would do.

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #3  
I wish I had some help to offer, but I do not - only condolences. I have done plenty of biffs myself, but this one could be very painful to fix. Sorry man...

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #4  
There are certain frost plugs intended for block heaters. The good heater manufacturers list which plug to use. Keep us posted.

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240
The block heater is from Kubota. It's the one listed for my machine. Now that I've had a chance to think this over, There is no way I can be into the cylinder sleeve. Seems like compression would have blown a radiator hose or something. Tractor sounds normal when running, nice & smooth.

I hope.... That I am just dealing with an oil to coolant leak. Thinking that I may just need to patch the hole up with something (JB Weld maybe). If it's bigger than that, we'll have to drop the oil pan and get in there with an inspection camera to see what's up.

Staying positive... Worst thing that could happen is It that we have to replace the block. I've got an uncle that does a lot of excavation work. He does his own work on everything, trucks, excavators, dozers, etc.

Dad is coming over this morning. Heavy equipment operator also. Unfortunately this is the first thought in my mind when I woke up today.

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #6  
Hang in there. Issues like this can seem ominous at the time but not so much as time passes.

I am learning that the V2403 engine was used in a lot of applications. Complete rebuilt engines are going for $4000.00. Sucks, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I wish I could look at a bare engine block to see what is behind the frost plug.

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #8  
Is there any way to could tap the holes and put a short set screw in with some red loctite?

/ Damaged block installing block heater L5240 #9  
Try to stay as positive as possible. You helped me out quite a bit with advice on the widening of my tires and wish I could return the favor now;but I have little to offer on this one. If your Dad and Uncle are unable to offer a less costly fix, perhaps a call to the local service department or Kubota for input may help. Hang in there and keep us posted.

What are the chances KTAC might cover this? Even though I bought it used, it was from a dealer and the insurance was included. Or would this be considered neglect or misuse?