Kubota BX2200 with LA112 Front Loader

/ Kubota BX2200 with LA112 Front Loader #1  

warment

Silver Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet RZT54
I recently purchased a Kubota BX2200 with LA112 Front Loader and 60" MMM for $7500. The tractor has slightly over 400 hours and I just changed the air filter, front axle fluid and hydrostatic fluid/filter. I removed and cleaned the strainer during the hydro change. I also greased the loader grease fittings and pedal fitting. I plan on changing the motor oil and 2 fuel filters in the near future, along with greasing the MMM and possibly replacing the MMM blades.

Is there any other things that I should do?

Also, are there any problem areas that I should be concerned with?

/ Kubota BX2200 with LA112 Front Loader #2  
I think you have covered the major items. My BX2200 has 1380hrs on it and has had no issues beyond a seal and some hoses.
Might adjust the toe-in and pivot bolt. Make sure the HST cooling fan is in good shape. Grease the u-joints on the drive shafts.

/ Kubota BX2200 with LA112 Front Loader
Thanks for the response. I did notice that the boots are split on the outer tie rod ends (or whatever the correct name is). Looks like you can't simply buy new boots. Is that correct? If not, I will eventually replace both ends/boots.

HST cooling fan looked good/clean. However, the radiator was quite packed with dirt. I removed and cleaned both the screen and the other screen closest to the radiator and blew the radiator out after removing the battery. Coolant level was slightly low, so I got that within range.

/ Kubota BX2200 with LA112 Front Loader #4  
The boots have a part number that is not published in the parts manual. It is K1253-01660. They're about $10.35 ea. Seem to tear pretty easy. I have been considering building a cover for them to protect them from the brush I drive through.

/ Kubota BX2200 with LA112 Front Loader #5  
Sounds like you are a perfect owner for a BX2200. You've probably done more maintenance than most tractors get in their lifetime. Be sure to keep it up at the factory recommended intervals.

If you search this forum for BX2200 problems you'll come across some areas to keep an eye on. Your MMM will generally protect the transmission (HST) fan but a guard, either homemade or purchased, would be a good investment.

Hydraulic hoses are a problem after time so keep an eye out for leaks, especially under the center of the tractor. The lines from the pump to the power steering are a bit lightweight and prone to failure IMO.

Check to see if your air filter bracket is broken and the air filter flops around. If so, that will need attention. The engine shakes like a belly-dancer at low RPMs and when shutting down so a direct bracket replacement will be prone to failure also. Try to fab up something stronger.

One way to take the stress off the machine is to increase the idle until the engine smooths out. Warm-up goes quicker and the shaking is minimized.

The switches on the dash REALLY don't like to get wet and will short out causing lights to flash and a dead battery the next morning after parking it. The lights go on whenever they please as if haunted. You can pop out the switches and disconnect the pigtail. The lights are pretty useless anyway unless traveling down a road or working on the shoulder.

If you are doing something heavy duty and the HST seems to stall, switch to low range. It is much stronger.

Enjoy, and, if problems arise, check back here. Lots of members have used that model and have worked out fixes.

/ Kubota BX2200 with LA112 Front Loader #6  
One thing to watch for is if the rear axle seals look like they're leaking it may be the plastic mounts the seals are in. On mine seeing the leak at about 1150hrs I was not looking forward to tearing the trans down to get them replaced. Closer inspection revealed it was the plastic housing leaking at the axle housing. My fix was to drain the trans then remove the tire and slide the housing out a few inches, clean both mount and axle housing then apply RTV sealer and reassemble. It has held for several years now.

The hyd. hoses running under the deck have not leaked yet. The hoses on the FEL coming from the control valve have started leaking in the last 300hrs and needed replace.

/ Kubota BX2200 with LA112 Front Loader #7  
Do you know what year it is. I have a 2003 with only 650 hours. One of the hydraulic hoses under the dash (going to steering) started leaking on mine at about 500 hrs. The other hose looked pretty crappy so I replaced both at the same time. It's a DIY job. All three cylinders on the FEL started leaking at the wiper seals (within a month of one another) at about 600 hrs. I had a local shop repair the cylinders for about $90/ea. Otherwise, I don't know of any known issues. The earlier units (pre-2003) had some issues with the steering cylinder and the fuel level sending unit.

/ Kubota BX2200 with LA112 Front Loader #8  
Check the air cleaner mounting bracket. The original mounts occasionally developed cracks due to engine vibration after a few hundred hours. There was a re-designed bracket offered by Kubota but many owners, including me, made their own homebrew reinforcements. Mine never developed the cracks but I reinforced it anyways.

Make sure the linkages for the controls at the side of the seat (pto selector, pto engage, 3 pt lift, 4wd, cruise, hi-lo range selector), are clean and lubed underneath. Accumulated crud and lack of use can cause them to bind up.

Make sure all the assorted mounting bolts are tight to specs.

When operating, BX's want to have the engine revved up to produce hydraulic flow. Contrary to what's posted in other threads about other brands operating at lower rpms, this is a feature, not a bug. None of these small diesels take well to putt-putting around at low rpms. A diesel wants to run in its power band for maximum longevity. Getting off soapbox now. :D Enjoy your BX and welcome to the club!

Thanks for the tips guys! I will def look for leaks and check out the airbox. I have no idea what year the tractor is. I assumed something around 2003. How would I tell for sure? Model/Serial number plate?

And I should have said LA211 loader...lol...