BOLTING hooks to the FEL bucket

/ BOLTING hooks to the FEL bucket #1  

Kenneth in Texas

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 4wd, FEL
I have 2 large chrome hooks that bolt on. I understand the best place to put them on the bucket is the top lip of the bucket just in front of the hydraulic cylinders. Ok that lip is small, theres room to drill one hole for the front bolt on the hook, the back bolt is flush with the edge of the back lip. On the back bolt it looks like i can use a large round flat washer or even a small piece of flat 1/4" metal so it will get a bite onto the bucket lip. Anyone done it this way? I know welding it on with a plate under the lip would prob be best but i dont own a welder, have access to one or know anyone that welds and have no trailer to take the tractor to a welding shop, so bolt on in my only option.

Anyone done this? Any pics?

/ BOLTING hooks to the FEL bucket #2  
I would go for it. If you find that things don't work out, then you can get it welded. A lot of good welders carry their unit in the back of their truck and are mobile.

Last edited:
   / BOLTING hooks to the FEL bucket #4  
That lip will not support lifting any heavy loads, especially with the leverage of those large tow hooks sticking out the front. When lifting with the hook, the rear hole will have the most upwards force on it-not only is that the weakest part of the lip, it's also where your hole is compromised.

/ BOLTING hooks to the FEL bucket #5  
   / BOLTING hooks to the FEL bucket #6  
Ken's hooks look great & people who have them seemed to be very satisfied. My generic hooks came from Tractor Supply, before I had heard of Ken's. The bolt on hooks see a lot of use - prefer to work with rope instead of chain, whenever possible, and the hooks make this very convenient. A pair of grab links also lets me use chain, whenever the need arises.

IMG_2592 (1024x768).jpg

Some observations:
Chill before you drill ... curl your bucket all the way back and make sure you will have clearance between the hooks and the cylinder/pivot parts. By the power of dumb luck, mine have a smidge of clearance.

IMG_2589 (1024x768).jpg

That bucket steel will harden on you if you don't keep the bit making chips at a good rate, so use a sharp, high quality bit in a powerful drill and some Tap Magic or similar cutting fluid to help manage the heat. My installation included some hefty backing washers and liberal use of anti-seize on the threads, just in case I ever need to remove them.

IMG_2591 (1024x768).jpg

Good luck, and happy hooking.

-Jim

/ BOLTING hooks to the FEL bucket #7  
Jim,
This issue for the OP is the turned up lip on his bucket, it is a complete different design from the one you have. Here is picture of the same loader/bucket combo I believe he has:

Mike T 8 (Small).JPG

There is limited room behind that lip to mount those large tow hooks, and the lip is narrow and will not support the weight the loader can lift-plus the leverage thing I mentioned before.

/ BOLTING hooks to the FEL bucket #8  
Ken,

LOVE how you've overcome the obstacle presented by the "curled back" lip on top of many of the Kubota buckets--like the one on the LA403 on my B3000.

Also, your installation videos are GREAT, and I like how you make seem like "no big deal" of a job.

But I do think Baby Grand has a point with his statement here:

Baby Grand said:
Some observations:
Chill before you drill ... curl your bucket all the way back and make sure you will have clearance between the hooks and the cylinder/pivot parts. By the power of dumb luck, mine have a smidge of clearance.

That is something I would have missed myself, and I wonder if you've put in any warnings in your instructions, to avoid any interference between the hooks' locations and the cylinders/rams/mounts (then again, you seem so thorough, I'm guessing it might already be in your instructions? LOL).

Anyway, you're videos have sold me--I'll be a customer, when the weather warms up. :thumbsup:

You make it look easy--keep up the good work!

My Hoe

Last edited:
   / BOLTING hooks to the FEL bucket #9  
Ken,

LOVE how you've overcome the obstacle presented by the "curled back" lip on top of many of the Kubota buckets--like the one on the LA403 on my B3000.

Also, your installation videos are GREAT, and I like how you make seem like "no big deal" of a job.

Thank you sir!

But I do think Baby Grand has a point with his statement here:

Yup, he has a great point for sure-But this is a non-issue with our setup, there is plenty of clearance:
Mike T 1 (Small).JPG

Anyway, you're videos have sold me--I'll be a customer, when the weather warms up. :thumbsup:

You make it look easy--keep up the good work!

My Hoe

Some eye candy while you wait out the cold:

Frank-3 (Small).jpg

Frank-4 (Small).jpg

Frank-5 (Small).jpg

/ BOLTING hooks to the FEL bucket #10  
I added some additional stock to the top and inside of the bucket when I bolted a hook on to my BX bucket.

Attachments

• lifting hook1.jpg
    lifting hook1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 605