Oil & Fuel SAE or Synthetic

/ SAE or Synthetic #1  

johndam

Tractor
Kubota BX2370
I know that the Kubota manual states that engine oil is as follows: Below 0ーC (32ー) SAE 10W, 10W-30 or 15W-40. Does anyone use synthetic oil instead of SAE type? Is there a benefit to using synthetic oil?

/ SAE or Synthetic #2  
Based on the theoretical claim that synthetic lasts longer, synthetic oil makes practical sense in applications where you are using the machinery for hours and days and weeks of continuous operation. If you use it like most people and have to change the oil because of changes in season, it's just not economically practical. I say save your money and use the dino oil, diesels have been running on it for more then a century.

/ SAE or Synthetic #3  
Diesels get the oil dirty, no getting around it. If you run your machine lots for hours on end then syn. is the way to go. If you use it sometimes then sae if fine. The best thing to remember is filter! Always use good quality filter and change it every time.
Rob

/ SAE or Synthetic #4  
I use syn. in my BX for both engine and hyd/trans fluid. Much smoother operations. Works much better in cold weather. Runs quieter.
I use small quantities so cost difference is minimal.

As Rob111 said, Filter, Filter, Filter.
Filters are cheap and the cost difference between the cheap filters and the best is also minimal when you are protecting an expensive machine.

/ SAE or Synthetic #5  
My theory is that synthetic oil flows better at lower temps and I use it in my Kioti, Jeep and generator. The Kioti gets 0W40 Rotella T 6, the Jeep Castrol 5W30 and the generator as well.

/ SAE or Synthetic #6  
I use 0w40 Rotella T6 in about everything now. Engines start easier in the winter, and I make up some of the extra money I spend on Synthetic by having only one oil type on the shelf (no wasted partial jugs). I use the T6 in my two Grasshopper mowers that have Kubota diesels too, and they run all summer, full throttle.

/ SAE or Synthetic #7  
+1 for Rotella T6 full synthetic 0W-40 in all my diesels (truck, tractor, gator, etc...). During start-up it is desirable to have oil flow as quickly as possible and this becomes worse at low temperatures. The price is fairly reasonable compared to conventional oil and discount places like Walmart.

/ SAE or Synthetic #8  
I use nothing but synthetics in systems that have high change intervals like transmissions, differentials, etc but use good quality 'dino' oils in my engines because of the frequent change interval requirements.

/ SAE or Synthetic #9  
I was using reg Rotella and switched last fall to syn Rotella 5w40. I can tell a difference, easier start up. Cost is minimal.

/ SAE or Synthetic #10  
I ran the Kubota 10W30 in it for the first two oil changes. Now I run Rotella T6 synthetic in it, same as all my other stuff. I don't extend my drain intervals, I just like that it is way easier to start and smoother running in the cold climate I get here.