advice 4 New 3710 owner

/ advice 4 New 3710 owner #1  

jyaeks

Tractor
Kubota 3710 gear
My 2001 3710 is being delivered Monday. 196 hrs, Woods 1012 FEl and a scrape blade. All for $14K. a few dents and dings, but the rear PTO appears to have never been used and it was stored indoors. Sweet machine.
I'm seeking advice for felling tall virginia pines to uproot them, pulling stumps from ones already cut, and moving the logs and brush. Most of the pines are less than 12" thick, but are 70-80' tall. The scrape blade will work my 700' driveway and finish work on un-landscaped yard and where the trees are cleared. Open to any suugestions or advice for an excited beginner that knows to take it slow at the start. THANKS! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ advice 4 New 3710 owner #2  
jyaeks

Welcome to TBN. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hope you are able to get some sleep before Monday. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue"> pulling stumps from ones already cut </font>

Using a BH works well.

Check out this thread. Click Here

<font color="blue"> moving the logs </font>

Some of the TBN members use a Logging Winch to move logs that size.

<font color="blue"> and brush. </font>

Using a Grapple works well for brush.

/ advice 4 New 3710 owner
Thanks for the links RonJHall. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
All well and good, but unfortunately I broke the bank getting the tractor. It was an opportunity for a machine with the power to handle everything I need, but without all the best implements for the job. I'm hoping I can pick up some forks to help, but that's about the most I can hope for right now. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I was a bit surprised when the dealer rep told me I couuld work a tree to loosen the roots and push it over to uproot it. That would be great, but sounds dangerous.

/ advice 4 New 3710 owner #4  
While visiting my daughter during the early construction stages of her new home a few years ago, near Richmond, Va. I watched some of the construction folks using a good sized tractor with loader pushing some tall pines over similiar to the ones that you describe. They positioned the loader very high at first then as the tree began to lean over, progressively pushed lower and lower until it was down. The soil was very sandy ..probably similiar to your soil.

/ advice 4 New 3710 owner #5  
Pine trees are top rooted and can be pushed over using a FEL or a winch to pull them down. I popped about 10 out of my backyard quite a few years ago with a Ford 8N using the loader.

/ advice 4 New 3710 owner
Thanks for the reassurance Rosey & Jim,
Actually the upstate here is land of the red clay. When it's dry it's like brick. The ground is already cracking from lack of rain. I'll give it a start with some of the thinner trees and see how it works out. I've picked up a lot from searching the forums here. This site has probably saved a lot of LIVES, let alone headaches for many people. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks again to all for your input. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif