Howard tiller

/ Howard tiller #1  

Maestro71

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota bx2660 loader mmm back blade woods rotary cutter
Hey all I just grabbed what appears to be a really old Howard 48" tiller, slip clutch model. It has a square drive shaft, it works perfectly, but I have never seen a shaft like this before. Any info on the howard brand would be great, we dont see many around northeast Ohio. It obviously wasnt designed for a sub compact but no problems with lift so far. Anything I should worry about using on a 2660?

/ Howard tiller #2  
The Howard's are great tillers. Were made in Harvard IL at one time. They were moved to Holland, I think, In the 80's.

My 60" has served with no problems since 1979. I still use it every year. I'm guessing getting parts may be a nightmare.

They are very heavy beasts for sure. Good luck with yours.

Attachments

• dm2-109.JPG
    dm2-109.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 547
  • dm2-109.JPG
    dm2-109.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 292
   / Howard tiller #3  
I think they still make tillers in the same plant in Holland. I am going to Holland tomorrow and I will swing b the plant and see. The last I knew they were making tillers for berry plants, which were 2 small tillers on one shaft so you could do narrow rows.

/ Howard tiller #4  
I have 3 Howards, they were made in France, now Poland...

They have made everything from pretty good home owners models, to the toughest industrial grade tillers made, and everything in between!

Here's the one I use for bigger jobs,

standard.jpg

Anyway, they don't have the dealer support they once had and parts are expensive, good thing they are built well, so you don't need many!

SR