re-doing my yard

/ re-doing my yard #1  

astor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota Bx2230
Hi, I posted this on the "projects" area also, but fellow Kubota owners have been very helpful to me so far, so I thought I would ask this here /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I had several large trees removed last Fall and the company,(no fault of theirs) put a lot of ruts in my lawn and yard. I want to level these out and put down some top soil and grass seed. I started with my BX2230,using the rear blade and FEL. It has been a challenge to not dig in too deep or sometimes not enough. I was wondering if a landscape rake attachment would help out or some other attachment. Any help would help a lot. Thanks!

Steve

/ re-doing my yard #2  
I assume by your post that you have a straight rear blade( for moving snow etc...). If that is the case you really need a box blade. The BB will scrape up a shallow amount of dirt, collect it in the box and then fill in the low spots as you work over the top of them. It will also assist you in spreading the top soil when you get ready for that part of project. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ re-doing my yard #3  
astor,

take my advice on this: till or disk your yard as deep as possible, and then use a drag to level it out. It will self level, and eliminate the whole idea of you trying to manually level with a box blade. You'll be amazed at how well this works. I learned this the hard way, like you!

/ re-doing my yard #4  
I agree with the tiller recommendation. I just did some "repairs" to a mess that I made last year in an old garden plot with my 8N and Ferguson plow. A few days ago I tried smoothing it out with my BX23 and BB without much luck. Then I tried the BX23 and tiller, and was very pleased with how smooth it left things. I thought I might have to use the BB for final grading, but the tiller was all that was needed.

There is a similar discussion in one of the other Forums right now ("Attachments" maybe, not sure -- I think the title is "Box Blade v. Tiller," or similar.). You might want to take a look at that discussion for additional ideas.

/ re-doing my yard #5  
You don't need pure top soil. Just buy enough compost to put about 1/2" onto the ground. Then till it in as deeply as possible.

Pure clay can be turned into top soil if you mix in 4-12% mulch or compost. Ideal soil has about 5% mulch material. If you figure on 10" depth, that's 1/2" that you need. The hard part is getting clay tilled down very deeply if it's very dry.

Ralph