Why the BX is Popular

/ Why the BX is Popular #1  

TresCrows

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, Kubota B2410
Well, it is true I have been making a lot of BX posts lately and some other guys too. One reason is that in many parts of the country BX sells have been more than all B units combined! Kubota hit a real price/utility point when they developed the BX. It does not cost much more than some high dollar lawn mowers/GT's and yet is not intimadating or out of place on small acerage like larger B series units. To top it all off it is a quality unit. The BX fills a void in the market for a small "real" tractor. Really, if you can be objective and go look at a BX, a 7400/7500 and a 2410 you will notice that the only "real" difference is that the BX has smaller wheels--really--that is the big difference and that difference provides the stable wide stance. Horsepower, torque, pulling ability, ruggedness, weight etc are all really very comparable with the BX being much cheaper. Think of all the guys riding around on their 18th Murray and then they see a BX for the first time flush with cash from the big .com sell off! There will be a lot of BX's out there real soon and with numbers will come new implements, options, respect and unfortuanately when guys get an appeitite for tractors then in a few years some will trade up to a L3010 to mow their 2 acres I fear resale prices might suffer just a bit unless the demand for BX's remains so high as it is now that enough cannot be delievered. Soon JD will intro their sub-compact--I can hear the clash of tiny titans across the greenbelt as they rattle their armor and dual with their FEL's. I can even see BX and mini tractor ralleys--heck--maybe even get together in Daytona and build giant sand castles and ride around with bikini babes hanging off the ROPs. Yep, could happen! Why, it could even be an alien plot, Invasion of the Mini Tractor in Orange. Need to go check the oil in my UFO, see ya. J

Attachments

• 2-37560-Kubota.jpg
    2-37560-Kubota.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 115
   / Why the BX is Popular #2  
What I have been trying to find out for some time now is, how many units? In the Kubota
Fiscal 2001 Consolidated Interim Financial Results (http://www.kubota.co.jp/english/c-data/fr/title.htm), the summary notes: In North America, mainstay compact tractors enjoyed brisk sales. The new concept subcompact tractor with 18 and 22 hose-power engines was exceptionally well accepted by consumers enabling the Company to increase its market share.

But what's the actual number, or percentage of units sold? I just checked for the 2001 Annual Report… not out, but it should be soon (it's that time of year for companies).

TresCrows… Is <font color=orange>many parts of the country BX sells have been more than all B units combined </font color=orange> a dealer statement, speculation, gut feeling, or did you find some other reference?

Roy

/ Why the BX is Popular #3  
Roy,
Hard to believe that the BX has yet to catch on in my area,even the dealer little puzzle also has plenty in stock.

Maybe like one person said its the 3 season we have up here. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Why the BX is Popular #4  
thomas,not true in southestern N.H.when i bougt my BX Mears tractor had a waiting list, Chapell tractor had just got ashipment but they were going fast. I bought mine on a saterday and not knowing it till later,the D8 dozer operator at work bought one on tuesday.he's 72yrs.old now and been on equip.since scool.He said its a working little bugger,he loves it,cuts about 5 acers.3pt tiller 48" the tractor dos'nt know its even working.

/ Why the BX is Popular #6  
Cup,that ole boy must have that BX licenced and street legal with all the mirrors and lights.

/ Why the BX is Popular
Roy, the statement you questioned was made to me by a regional rep for Kubota. It may have pertained only to his region though I took it as North American sells. It may have been some bravado on his part and pride also. Nonetheless BX sells have really taken off in some areas and it is strong across the board. Just as I mentioned I saw 4 new BX's in my area I found out today a guy who I know in another department bought a BX--we had never spoken, so that is five in the last few weeks I know off and in the last year I have no neighbors, friends or work friends who have bought a B series.--might that be typical. I was also told by the rep some dealers had waiting lists but production is up and that should soon be a thing of the past. Kubota clearly wants to grab as many early sells as possible before competition trys to move into the same market niche. Think about it, realy, is it so shocking that BX's might outsell all the B series combined? Look at the price and what the BX tractor can do and then look at the potential move up market from lawn tractors. Most of these people would never purchase a compact, but the BX is very easily justified though it is a muscular utility tractor it looks like a giant GT and that is comfotable with that market segment and that market segment is potentialy huge! You may think of the BX as to small but to guys using department store lawn tractors and brand name lawn stuff it is a giant leap forward in power and utility. J

/ Why the BX is Popular #8  
You can tell it's not a NA 'Bota, it's a convertible model, no ROPS. Where does the canopy go to keep out those English rains? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I have my own 'gut' feeling about the BX sales. For suburban areas, within spitting distance of major metropolitan areas, the BX is may be a dealer's biggest sellers; the mini-estate markets. Owner's who didn't need a bigger tractor, but wanted more than a GT to cut the lawn. That is my own case. I looked for years. Couldn't see putting the $$$ for a GT. If I added attachments, I was paying a Compact price. Couldn't rationalize a compact (and I test drove, priced many of 'em during that period) for my needs, to big. Until the BX came out, was in a mental infinite loop. That is why I feel in love day one that I saw the prototype. It fit my nitch-market need.

Now, in truly rural areas, don't see a demand for them.

I happen to live in a very highly diversified area; suburbia meets rural. We have the large commercial farms, one-acre homes, developed clusters (community wells and sewage) with ¼ acre lots, horse farms, several multi-million dollar estates, five acre hobby farms, etc, etc, etc. I happened to ask my dealer recently how sales were last year. He said 2000 was utterly fantastic, demand across the line, but it was their bigger tractors that really sold well (didn't specify a model or a line).

Now, as a tractor owner, I really don't care how many BX's were sold. Same for Kubota in general. As a consumer and tractor aficionado, I want Kubota, JD and NH to all stay viable. Competition spurs innovation, and keeps prices down. (Stopped by both Kubota and NH dealers the other day to shoot the breeze and have a look. The NH guy keeps trying to get me to give up the BX for a TC! Maybe one day. Heck, their sales are doing great too, and I understand why. Like Kubota and JD, good product lines.) Shoot, Kubota didn't give me the tractor for free, so why should I be over hyping BX's per-gratis?

My interest is in market trends. What is selling, and where is it taking business away? This is the investor side of me. Currently, I don't directly own stock with any equipment manufacture. I move my investments very, very slowly for the long term (shortest holding period was 2.5 years). But I keep looking for trends to determine what movements I may be making in the future.

Roy

/ Why the BX is Popular #9  
TresCrows; I took too long to compose my last post (too many coffee breaks). I hit the 'post' button, and then I see you added something.

I have to put credibility to your resource, thanks for identifying. If he had said that they were selling more than JD 400's, then I would be skeptical (would sound like salesmanship). But in this case, he is making a statement about 'Bota's verses Bota's. No matter which one sells, he gains. And I am sure that he knows what is putting money into his pocket. If he had a big grin on his face, then it's not that they are stealing from their own pocket (taking away B sales), it's that they have gained a new market share. From the Financial Report, that is what I strongly expect.

Roy

/ Why the BX is Popular #10  
Tim,
The B2410.B2910,L3010 are the most purchase in this area...maybe its do to the stumps and rocks up here. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif