Is a grapple worth it?

/ Is a grapple worth it? #21  
Or - just give k0ua or me your shipping location and we'll have Travis at EA ship it COD. That way there'll be no turning back and you'll have someone else to blame!

With friends like us, he is all set, and good to go!:)

/ Is a grapple worth it? #22  
Upon delivery just tell her that the contents of the crate will help your husband increase his all round productivity.......... I'll handle the rest from there.... :D

/ Is a grapple worth it? #23  
That EA 50 inch graple looks like a good match for my L3901.... My bucket weighs 270 lbs aprox. It certainly could handle the rose spirea and bush honey suckle that I have already uprooted using my conventional bucket. Great.... Can you guys let my wife know! :)

You will find used for one that you haven't thought of!
Next to the cup holder, this is the most used part on my L3301. EA compact 50".

Image1461722574.182000.jpgImage1461722612.709069.jpgImage1461722716.919019.jpgImage1461722785.994102.jpg
Lenny

/ Is a grapple worth it? #25  
I've always wanted a grapple and with the new bigger tractor I was finally able to get one that could do some fairly heavy work/lifting. I went the whole nine yards -WR Long third function valve, upgraded joy stick and Land Pride SGC 1560 grapple.

Since I've had it - two years - I've never put the bucket back on the FEL. Its used for brush, trash, logs, big rocks and to back drag to smooth land thats been tilled. Its made a lazy man out of me but its also the most used implement I own.

/ Is a grapple worth it? #26  
There's only one thing better than a grapple;

And that's two grapples;

Then you'll want a tree / post puller;

Yep, we did that too, handy, handy, handy.:thumbsup:

/ Is a grapple worth it? #27  
After the front loader, the grapple is the best attachment out there!!!! Trees die, they lose branches, and sometimes you just need to remove some timber. Having grapple is the only way to do this in a productive manner. Being able to pick up the branches and stack them on a burn pile means cleaner burns,and less dirt to deal with when it's all burned up. Knowing what I know now, I would willingly pay twice what I did for my grapple. It's something I couldn't live without.

Before I got my excavator with hydraulic thumb, I used my HD grapple a lot. Look at it this way. A grapple is less money than an excavator. I still use my grapple occasionally, if I'm doing clean up work with both machines.

Attachments

• L39_W_Max_RockS_10-21-07.JPG
    L39_W_Max_RockS_10-21-07.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 265
   / Is a grapple worth it? #28  
I didn't have a huge need for one but a 66" (edit) Bobcat 2-lid came up on Iron Planet, I put in a low-ball bid of 600 and was the only bidder. It weighs about 800 lb - the L48 & L5450 handle it well, too much freight for the smaller L's. I use it quite a bit. Great deal on a handy tool. There was a nifty big excavator on Iron Planet too - but it is in Dubai.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• front 2.JPG
    front 2.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
   / Is a grapple worth it? #29  
Did you mean 84"? Didn't know Bobcat had anything that narrow.

I like that style. It will also do bucket duty.

/ Is a grapple worth it? #30  
They are pretty handy, I don't use mine every day either, but when you need one, everything else is a compromise. I stacked little bits of brush in my bucket for years, and later when I got forks, I used them, but a grapple beat the heck out of both for handling brush, and tree limbs and logs. I used the forks today to move several pallets of bricks after stacking them on the pallets.

Nothings beats forks for moving pallets. Nothing beats a grapple for moving brush and limbs. It is hard to say how much you would use it, as everyone's tractor usage is different, but I am glad I have mine.

Quoting for emphasis. 100% right.

The dealer I worked with when I got my first tractor said "forks are great for hauling brush". Well, I thought forks would be handy for pallets and stuff too, so I did that. He was wrong. Forks are better than a bucket for brush, but you HAVE TO manually load them or it all just falls off if you try to scoop up a random pile. That is very slow. Grapples allow you to scoop here, scoop there and make a big enough wad that it is worth driving over to the burn pile. Same with moving logs, especially long ones. On forks, they need to be perfectly balanced (good luck). The grapple gives you some wiggle room to be a little off center and still lift and haul it. Now mind you, you must be extra careful doing this as this puts new tipping forces on your rig which could send you rolling over in the wrong situation or bend your loader arms, so the key point is "a little" off center.