? about HST/Hydraulic Oil for L3901

/ ? about HST/Hydraulic Oil for L3901 #1  

totouchantler

Bronze Member
Tractor
None
I believe I will be removing my FEL loader when I finish mow (wide open 2 acre lawn). Today I practiced (several times) removing it.... Im quite good at it now :). Each time I disconnected the four hoses I noticed a minute amount of fluid escaped.... My 1st question?: Will frequently disconnecting the hoses cause problematic air to enter the Hydraulic and/or HST pump system? 2nd question?: Is it possible to overfill the Hydraulic and or HST resevoir? (rear fill cap) Or does the system work as a reservoir only taking oil as it needs it if low? I do check the HST/Hydraulic fluid regularly via the dipstick. Im just wondering if its okay to top off the oil at the fill port at the rear of the tractor? Thanks for any replies. I'm just trying to be proactive without being pro destructive..... If I continually disconnect the loader to lighten the tractor to mow the yard.... I can see fluid loss maybe being a problem? Yeah yeah yeah.... I know I should probably just buy a dedicated zero turn mower :)

Chris

/ ? about HST/Hydraulic Oil for L3901 #2  
I believe I will be removing my FEL loader when I finish mow (wide open 2 acre lawn). Today I practiced (several times) removing it.... Im quite good at it now :). Each time I disconnected the four hoses I noticed a minute amount of fluid escaped.... My 1st question?: Will frequently disconnecting the hoses cause problematic air to enter the Hydraulic and/or HST pump system? No. 2nd question?: Is it possible to overfill the Hydraulic and or HST resevoir? (rear fill cap) Yes you can overfill. Or does the system work as a reservoir only taking oil as it needs it if low? I don't understand what you are thinking here. I do check the HST/Hydraulic fluid regularly via the dipstick. Im just wondering if its okay to top off the oil at the fill port at the rear of the tractor? Yes, this is where you top off if needed, however taking the loader off and on dozens of times won't amount to much fluid loss. Thanks for any replies. I'm just trying to be proactive without being pro destructive..... If I continually disconnect the loader to lighten the tractor to mow the yard.... I can see fluid loss maybe being a problem? Not a real problem in my opinion.. just check it once in a while at the same level location with all implements in the down position. Yeah yeah yeah.... I know I should probably just buy a dedicated zero turn mower :)

Chris

See my replies in red above.

/ ? about HST/Hydraulic Oil for L3901
Wow thanks! What I mean by over filling is: If I top off HST/Hydraulic intake fill with oil occasionally.....even though the dipstick is satisfied.... will it do damage to the machine? I know its bad too overfill an engine with motor oil....is it bad to overfill an HST/Hydraulic reservoir with oil? Apologies for over thinking this :)

Chris

Where do you guys buy your filters and fluids?

kOua... apologies... I believe you answered my question with resounding efficiency!

Chris

/ ? about HST/Hydraulic Oil for L3901 #6  
I take my loader off six to eight times a year. I have never had to add fluid and have never had an issue with air in the lines or fittings starting to leak. Oil from Walmart and SUDT and filters from the local dealer(we have a good dealer here).

/ ? about HST/Hydraulic Oil for L3901 #7  
To answer your second questions about fluid and filters. I use one of the 3 recommended fluids for my Kioti. I use MobilFluid 424. My filters all come from my local dealer. If you have a Kubota, and especially if it is a HST, which I believe yours is, I would recommend you stay with either the SUDT or SUDT II fluid. Many have experienced more hst whine and slightly reduced performance from their hydrostatic transmission when using a generic fluid. If it is not a Kubota, then I would stay with a brand that the manufacture recommends. If it is a gear machine, I don't think these requirements are as stringent. Opinions will vary on this, as they do on almost every subject, but these are my recommendations. :)

I understand your concern with fluid levels as a new owner, but one other thing you did not mention was greasing the tractor properly, and checking wheel nut/bolt tightness and loader bolt tightness. This is of more concern to me than hydraulic fluid levels, especially on a new tractor. Wheels and loaders often have loose fasteners until at least 100 hours as paint under the heads wears off. Greasing every 10 to 15 hours on the loader and 50 hours on the tractor chassis is also important. In my opinion.:)

/ ? about HST/Hydraulic Oil for L3901 #8  
My loader is off except when I'm using it for something. It does see frequent use, and I'd bet it doesn't lose more than a few ounces of fluid in a year. Too small an amount to consider. I mow with my L3200 (the loader removed) using a 6' rear discharge RFM and love it.

/ ? about HST/Hydraulic Oil for L3901 #9  
If you consider the amount of hydraulic oil in your system - probably north of 10 gallons - a few drops or even a few tablespoons full isn't even a drop in the bucket. I'd prefer to see some oil leak out, rather than losing none, which would imply that air might be getting in. Since you're fairly new to loader removal/reinstall, here's a hint that I learned the hard way: throw a tarp over the loader when it's off to keep the sun from baking it. If the loader gets too warm, the fluid that's left in the cylinders will expand, building up pressure & making reattaching the hoses a real frustrating experience.

/ ? about HST/Hydraulic Oil for L3901 #10  
....2nd question?: Is it possible to overfill the Hydraulic and or HST reservoir? (rear fill cap) Yes you can overfill.
Depending on any design changes between L3901 vs. L3400 (and L2800) that I may not be aware of. There was a kit to raise the hydraulic oil level (riser on the rear port and convert the sight glass to a dip stick) that was made to submerge the pto cams in oil. This was done to make them quieter.

Only thing I don't know is how much extra oil they were adding... yes you can also over fill it but I've gone over maybe a gallon ??? (sight glass covered, even when tractor was on a hillside) with no changes on how the tractor operated.

I've gone the other direction, blew a hose to the cooling fins, lost 4 gallons and was able to drive it back to the house with no problem. Someone else mention in another thread about being very low on oil, too (with no problems).

There is plenty of capacity in the reserve so the oil can cool down (and expand when it's heated). If oil starts shooting out under the seat (that's where the air vent is) then you have too much... (last part is just a joke!!!)