tracterbynet oil video - comments on video

/ tracterbynet oil video - comments on video #11  
MHarry seems to have a handle on this thread... hadn't thought about HP fuel injection systems, but good point! May those 60's autos had optional oil filters because they had their oil changed every 2500-3000 miles? Don't think I have ever had a vehicle without an oil filter, though. In the 60's, my "big" Healeys had canister type filter cartridges, pretty big, but then those were really not intended sports car engines to begin with.

/ tracterbynet oil video - comments on video
Yes, Mharry has his foot on the pedal on this one.

As I stated, if you change your oil [meaning, drain it, then replace it] all w in the same general timeframe, there's going to be enough oil still w in the system to lubricate until the filter is full and all is a go. Also, you're not trying to break the record for the 1/4 mile upon start-up either, more like just idle that has the lowest stress put on the engine moving parts. I will agree that pre-filling a filter that is upright cannot hurt...just make sure your hands and/or the filter is free of oil so it cannot be dropped...as far as horizontal installs, they're going on dry....fuel filters I would not even mess w. In fact, the Kubota Op's Man states a process for bleeding the air out of the fuel filter after changing anyway....safe to all

/ tracterbynet oil video - comments on video #13  
Have never ever pre-filled an oil filter. You can do it on properly-designed ones that are on top an engine. The oil would just pour out or drain out, depending on whether screw-on or type that goes into a fixed can on the engine.

Also, I never use the drain plug now that I have an oil extractor. Tried it on my 4010 first by opening the drain plug after using the extractor. NOTHING came out of the drain hole.

Ralph