Seed Spreader Bx2200

/ Seed Spreader Bx2200 #1  

bxbuster

Bronze Member
Tractor
BX2200
What are your thoughts on an electric spreader that would hook up to the three point? I was looking at tow behind models and they run close to 200 bucks for a decent one. I really wanted something pto driven but that was cost prohibitive. I found this one on ebay and looks straight forward. I'm thinking about buying one and was wondering if anyone had thoughts one way or the other on it. It comes with a full lifetime guarantee... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3668523835&category=1269

/ Seed Spreader Bx2200 #2  
I would think that these units are less durable than PTO driven units, however they are MUCH cheaper.

I used to have a tow behind spreader but I threw it away. Mine was an Agi-Fab. I used it to spread salt in the winter. It was light duty, it corroded quickly and beyond repair. I would not consider another tow behind for several reasons.

I am considering buying a 12 volt model similar to the one you identified on Ebay but I am looking to mount it to the FRONT BUMPER of a tractor to spread salt, while the snowblower is mounted on the 3pt hitch. My logic is I drive backwards to throw the snow, so I could spread salt from the front bumper because it is in the rear of my travel path.

I too would be curious about hearing from anyone who has any experience with the 12 volt spreaders.

/ Seed Spreader Bx2200 #3  
I had one that came free with a tractor that I purchased a couple of years ago. The previous owner was very good about cleaning it after each use and the motor didn't hold up very well to the salt. After two seasons use, the motor was very finicky about working and by the time I gave it away, it was useless. The hopper was still in great condition, but the salt got into the motor and destroyed it. A close examination of the design tells me that there is no way to avoid this problem because they are so low priced to start with. Save your money and purchase quality or just spread it by hand if you feel that you can't afford the proper tool for the job. To purchase on of these for $159 is like wasting money in my opinion, not purchasing a lesser tool that will do the job that it is intended for.
I shall digress here for a moment and tell the story about the antique car that I and a few friends found in NH back in the 1960's. It was still in the original packing crate. The original owners son related the story that the car had such a bad reputation for breakdowns, that his father didn't ever assemble it after it arrived because he already knew of the reliability issues and just purchased another car. They were a wealthy family and could afford it. A friend purchased the car and proceeded to assemble it. The first day, something broke. He took the part to the machine shop and a few days later, had a new part and was back to trying to drive the car. Then another part broke and the same thing was repeated. Back to the machine shop and back on the road a few days later. This went on for about 5 or 6 times, when in desperation, one night he said, "I don't know what to do with the car". We all said "Sell it, before something else breaks!". That is what he did. The following week, he placed an ad in the N.Y. Times and the car sold for a lot more than he paid for it. The new buyer came with a trailer and took it away. I am certain that that car was not driven very much, but must have been trailered to car shows quite a lot. Some things are not reliable from day one. This car was one of them and these spreaders aren't very far behind in my opinion.

/ Seed Spreader Bx2200 #4  
I believe you can get a Herd model M96 PTO driven--3-point spreader for under 350 dollars or such that will last a lifetime. It is great for seeds and pellitized lime, fertilizer etc. Not so good for fine powdery stuff and salt. Love mine. J

/ Seed Spreader Bx2200 #5  
I've been using the Herd M96 for four years now. It's excellent with the BX and you don't have to fool around with the electricity to use it...just engage the PTO and go!

/ Seed Spreader Bx2200 #7  
On the same idea, but going one step further, is there such an animal as a spreader/power seeder, as in cuts the little rows, and covers them, for the BX2200, or has someone on the board designed one that really works, that you would care to post photos of.

I am redoing my whole yard and will need it for a few seasons

thanks in advance

/ Seed Spreader Bx2200 #8  
"Can you use weed and feed fertilizer in the Herd unit? "

It depends, many well know weed and feed brands such as Scotts are very fine with a lot of dust. These small granules do not spread well with the M96 or most other such rotary spreaders. There are some weed and feeds that will work OK. I just put some stuff out I got at a local farm store--Weed and Feed and it did fine. Pellatized materials and seeds do best in the M96. Love mine.
By the way, it will spread fine granules--just not very well, I put out about a 100 lbs of Diazonon granules as a tick barrier. It spread them but I occasionally hadd to stop and slap the side of the spreader to get them to continue feeding toward the bottom. Still, I did in an hour what would have taken all day by a hand push drop spreader. J

/ Seed Spreader Bx2200 #9  
....Diazonon granules as a tick barrier....

TresCrows - have you done this in the past? How effective has it been? How much area did 100 lbs. treat? Do you have chiggers in your part of the country? Many thanks!

/ Seed Spreader Bx2200 #10  
Well, yes, the stuff I use is stated to kill ticks. The 100 lbs spread thinly can cover a large area. In the past I used Diazonon and Dursban but know I used something that was from Spectrocide labled as a Diazonon replacement. What I do is lay down a perimeter. I also make a few passes into the woods. Yes, it has been effective. I cannot recommend it for you or anyone else but it does seem to stop them from getting into my property to a great degree. I have several brushy areas and a wooded place by a creek we call the park. I run in and around those areas. I also use a perimeter around my house and shop. It seems to make a difference for the good. Be careful about affecting runoff and use the stuff per labled directions. I don't think it harms the wildlife at the low dosage I use. J