First Oil Change at 32 hrs?

/ First Oil Change at 32 hrs? #1  
Tractor
Kubota L4600 4WD w/loader
Just bought a used 2013 L4600 tractor with 32 hours on it. Feel like I should change the oil, but didn't want to drain out any "special" break in oil that may be in there. Am I thinking to much into it or should I just change the oil?

/ First Oil Change at 32 hrs? #2  
Just bought a used 2013 L4600 tractor with 32 hours on it. Feel like I should change the oil, but didn't want to drain out any "special" break in oil that may be in there. Am I thinking to much into it or should I just change the oil?

I would change it earlier than the 50 hour service if it was me. Cheap insurance.

/ First Oil Change at 32 hrs? #3  
My 1st oil change was at 18 hours to get all the bad stuff out! Nothing special in there;) Then I put in my favorite 5w-40. Philip.

Attachments

• UOA18 for external.pdf
    410.4 KB · Views: 168
   / First Oil Change at 32 hrs? #4  
If it is a 3 year old tractor with original oil in it, I would for sure drain it and replace it with a good diesel service motor oil. I personally use Shell T6 full synthetic because it is certified for diesel service and also carries a SN rating for gasoline service. I use it for all my engines, diesel and gasoline.

/ First Oil Change at 32 hrs? #5  
My 1st oil change was at 18 hours to get all the bad stuff out! Nothing special in there;) Then I put in my favorite 5w-40. Philip.

An actual oil analysis....I'm impressed. :thumbsup:

/ First Oil Change at 32 hrs?
Thanks for the replies.
Went to the local dealership today and bought a filter for $10 and a Owners Manual for $19. Surprised at the reasonable cost, plus they gave me some bolts that I found missing from the loader support that mounts to the rear axle. They must have never been tightened.

/ First Oil Change at 32 hrs? #7  

Thinking way too much. Change it now, and then again at 50hrs. A filter and a couple gallons of oil is cheap insurance.

/ First Oil Change at 32 hrs? #9  
I disagree with changing again @ 50 hours. Why?

Change it because it's been too long since new. I changed the original oil (rocks in my head) on my 4010 @ 13 hours. So, 32 hours is not bad, especially after 3 years.

Ralph

/ First Oil Change at 32 hrs? #10  
This is something I've pondered w/out coming to any solid conclusion...

Back in the days of break-in oil it made sense to leave it in for the specified time until first change. Now that break-in oil isn't commonly used it's a different deal. But...

My concern with changing early, and not again until the next prescribed change is this: can I be sure that the lubricated parts are done shedding their wear-in crud at that arbitrary early change time? If the first change is due at 50 and I change at 13 out of an abundance of caution, and then the parts shed more junk into the oil until 40 hours, and I don't change until 100 - have I done more harm than good?

Me, If I change early I'm also changing at 50 or whatever the specified break-in change is. But that's just me...

Not sayin', just askin',
Z.