Oil leak

/ Oil leak #1  

JacobV

Tractor
Kubota ZL 1 315
Hello, friends ! Have this small problem, can anyone elaborate about the seriousness of the problem and probable cause? ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1463692049.744114.jpg kubota l 315 Thanks!

/ Oil leak #2  
My L3400 was leaking on the bevel gear shaft housing, but your leak appears to coming out board near the rim. First thing I would do is eliminate bearing failure, jack the wheel up and grab it at 12 and 6 and see if you can move it and follow the oil trail back. How many hr. has the gear oil been in use before last changed, mine had 400+.

/ Oil leak
This has been changed recently, because I bought it 2 weeks ago. Could it be caused by an impact to the tire? I have somewhat rough roads I have to work on.

/ Oil leak #5  
You might have to replace some seals if the bearings are alright, temp fix is thicker gear oil with some stop leak additive, I used (ATP AT-205 Re-Seal).
I could't find much info on your tractor, over here it's on the Kubota Gray Market Tractor List, what ever that is.

/ Oil leak #6  
Grey market are imported used from other countries. Kubota has some info on grey market on their site.

/ Oil leak #7  
Exactly how mine looked with failed outer wheel bearing. Seal can't withstand the offset resulting from the failed bearing. Mine was about one hour to fix and $90 worth of parts - seal, 2 bearings, and the o-ring seal between the case parts when you take it apart. You can check for this by raising the wheel (I lowered the loader) and wiggling the tire. At least this is the common failure on Kubota's fronts. My dealer told me that one customer who does a lot of loader work and has a lot of these failures I bolts the entire housing and drops it off at the dealership for repair but this sounds harder than doing it yourself.

/ Oil leak #8  
Exactly how mine looked with failed outer wheel bearing. Seal can't withstand the offset resulting from the failed bearing. Mine was about one hour to fix and $90 worth of parts - seal, 2 bearings, and the o-ring seal between the case parts when you take it apart. You can check for this by raising the wheel (I lowered the loader) and wiggling the tire. At least this is the common failure on Kubota's fronts. My dealer told me that one customer who does a lot of loader work and has a lot of these failures I bolts the entire housing and drops it off at the dealership for repair but this sounds harder than doing it yourself.

Did you need snap ring pliers, if so how big and what kind, and was any other special tools required?

/ Oil leak #9  
I am trying to recall. The WSM called for a special puller to remove one of the bearings, which concerned me, but it slid off with gentle double pry bar pressure. There are 2 half round clips that look like a snap ring in the breakdown but actually are just that - semi-circles that are trapped in their groove by a recess in the gear. It created much more anxiety in me than it warranted. My only concern afterward was why the bearing failed - but then I learned it is not uncommon.

/ Oil leak
Thanks for sharing this load of info with me! For now the leak has stopped, but still I will try and check the seals. Thanks again!