Fluid filled rear tires

/ Fluid filled rear tires #1  

Tractorrr

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx 2370-1
This is a random question, but I have been wandering lately how often the fluid can leak out of rear tires?

I keep the tractor in the garage and sometimes think I am going to go down there one day and find all the fluid in the tire in the floor of the garage.

Has anyone had problems with the fluid leaking out of their rear tires? I have yet to have any problems, but think it would be a pretty nasty clean up if they did leak.

/ Fluid filled rear tires #2  
As long as you don't run over an object that will put a hole in tube you should be fine.

/ Fluid filled rear tires #3  
Be sure to check the air pressure in all tires, whether filled or not. Low pressure can allow the bead of the tire to let loose...along with all your fluid!

/ Fluid filled rear tires #4  
If there is calcium Chloride in the tires. It will eventually corrode any metal and some plastics and cause valve or stem seepage. After seepage starts the paint is removed and metal rapidly deteriorates. As the leakage is often from the inside to outside. By the time a little bit of minor surface corrosion is observed visually , there is lots rotten down between the tube and the rim.

/ Fluid filled rear tires #5  
I had CaCl in my previous tractor for 25 years. Every year the valve stems would start dripping and I would need to replace the cores. It was a real PITA.

Sooo- - I had rimguard put in the new tractor - that was seven years ago - and not a drip in all those years.

/ Fluid filled rear tires #6  
This tractor I bought had calcium chloride aka salt. Before I bought one of the stems had leaked and destroyed the wheel. I put on a new rim and filled them with windshied washer solution.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    937.5 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.5 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    18.1 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    606.8 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 260
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 191
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    781.4 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    686.9 KB · Views: 169
   / Fluid filled rear tires #7  
Personally, if I ever had to load another set of tires, I got one word for you: foam!

/ Fluid filled rear tires #8  
Personally, if I ever had to load another set of tires, I got one word for you: foam!

I agree ! Our family's 1954 MH Pacer had salty fluid in the rear tires for roughly 35 years before one of the rims rusted thru. Most people ignore it buying a new tractor because they never intend to keep the tractor that long, but then tractors are NOT part of the throw-away society so foam is a darned good idea.

/ Fluid filled rear tires #9  
I have foam in my manlift tires and that is good because you won't tip because of a flat. But it does not add enough weight for pulling a scraper box, and if you own a skid steer it a can be very costly cutting the old ones off and foaming again. It has it's place but not for everything. That wheel came off of 32 year old tractor but it had tube in it when I got it, probably had many tires before.

/ Fluid filled rear tires #10  
X2 Windshield washer fluid. 12 yrs no problems. It is easy and cheap.