L2950 PTO engagement

/ L2950 PTO engagement #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
Been doing some work at my parents. Brother in law brought his L2950 over. He was doing some mowing with a rotary mower; he had to turn the tractor off, engage the PTO, and then then start the tractor. I thought it was odd.

A couple days ago, I took my PTO chipper over, and hooked it up. I tried using the clutch to engage the PTO with the tractor running; all it did was grind gears. So I had to do same; shut tractor off, engage PTO

Is that normal? Previously i had a Kubota B8200HSTD. To engage the PTO, I put the clutch in with the motor running, engaged the PTO, then released the clutch to start the PTO running with my rotary mower or PHD. Worked great. My current NH TC40D does not have a clutch pedal at all; PTO is hydraulic clutched when you move the lever.

I think somethings wrong with the L2950?

FWIW, the L2950 was nice; there was not hydro whine. I really like HST, but my old B8200HST and my NH TC40D both whine...

/ L2950 PTO engagement #2  
Something is definitely wrong. Maybe the clutch is stuck, or clutch mechanism not working. Was this tractor stored for a long time? On many tractors, if you store it for a long time with the clutch engaged, the clutch can stick. They normally have a place for a block or a strut to hold the pedal down a little for long term storage.

/ L2950 PTO engagement
Everything else works fine. It's a gear tractor. Forward/reverse shift, range shift, and gear all shift fine with the tractor running. The tractor gets used frequently with a backhoe that uses a PTO pump.

I do not know if maybe it has a two stage clutch and the second stage isn't working maybe. BIL got it used; I don't know if it has been like this the whole time he has had it. He's had it at least ten years.

/ L2950 PTO engagement #4  
A quick test for a sticking clutch is put on a rotary cutter or other power-hungry attachment. Run with the clutch pedal pressed down and see if under load it breaks loose and stops turning. Then verify it stays stopped with no load.