Cannot Load Tires without Unseating Bead

/ Cannot Load Tires without Unseating Bead #1  

kubotacres

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560 HST
So a very long story shortened. Several weeks ago when I bought my l3560 the first thing I decided to do was load the rear tires. I have done this several times on my previous tractors and it's fairly easy....Until now. What I thought was to be a 1 hour job for both tires ended up being 4-6 hours of trying to get the bead reset on one tire.

After removing the valve core on the right rear tire to install the water/air fitting the tire bead popped completely off the rim. I've never encountered this before especially on larger R4 tires. To make it worse, in the midst of trying to get the bead set, I broke off the valve stem and had to drive a 1 hour round trip to find one(I have several spares now). 6 hours later I managed to get the bead seated to the rim after lots of grease,air, and a tight winch cable around the circumference of the tire. However I'd still like to load them, although I'm not going attempt this again without gaining a little information. I wonder after a little time driving and whatnot the tires will "loosen up" and finally adhere to the rims? Worse care scenario I can leave it like it is, but I prefer the extra stability when moving round bales. The valve core has to be removed, so the there's no way around not letting out the air. No I don't want weights, so that is out of the question.:thumbsup:

Suggestions?

/ Cannot Load Tires without Unseating Bead #2  
Wrap the cable around the tire circumference while you remove the valve core, fill the tire, air it slightly, save final pressure adjustment for after you remove the cable.

/ Cannot Load Tires without Unseating Bead #3  
Is the wheel still on the tractor or did you remove it? If you are leaving it on the tractor, try jacking it up to remove the tractor weight.

/ Cannot Load Tires without Unseating Bead #4  
Make sure the tire is just barely touching the floor to start with. No real weight on the tire, Also when you remove the valve stem, and attach your adaptor don't let all the air out. attach the adaptor while air is till coming out of the tire, I added a simple plastic ball valve after the adaptor to control this air flow. Then put on the garden hose from the liquid pump. Also this valve will keep air from coming back out and thru your pump.

You cannot leave too much air in the tire or your pump will not be able to pump against the air head, but you need enough so that the bead will not unseat. Start pumping in the liquid and as your pump "labors" against the air pressure head, you will need to stop the pump and burp some more air out. But don't let out too much. You always want some air pressure in the tire, and you want the bottom of the tire just touching the floor so that the weight of the tire and liquid won't distort the tire and possibly break the bead.

I hope this helped.

/ Cannot Load Tires without Unseating Bead
Is the wheel still on the tractor or did you remove it? If you are leaving it on the tractor, try jacking it up to remove the tractor weight.
Tried that initially and It unseated. Tire/Wheel was still mounted but ended up taking it off to get bead seated.

Make sure the tire is just barely touching the floor to start with. No real weight on the tire, Also when you remove the valve stem, and attach your adaptor don't let all the air out. attach the adaptor while air is till coming out of the tire, I added a simple plastic ball valve after the adaptor to control this air flow. Then put on the garden hose from the liquid pump. Also this valve will keep air from coming back out and thru your pump.

You cannot leave too much air in the tire or your pump will not be able to pump against the air head, but you need enough so that the bead will not unseat. Start pumping in the liquid and as your pump "labors" against the air pressure head, you will need to stop the pump and burp some more air out. But don't let out too much. You always want some air pressure in the tire, and you want the bottom of the tire just touching the floor so that the weight of the tire and liquid won't distort the tire and possibly break the bead.

I hope this helped.

I think that the first thing I did wrong was having the entire tire/wheel suspended in the air. However this worked fine on the other tires I've loaded, though these R4's are twice as large. I thought the same thing about adding another valve and will probably do so before I attempt again...

I'm gonna try to get up the nerve to try again this weekend. I'll keep yall updated. Thanks for the advice.

/ Cannot Load Tires without Unseating Bead #6  
If I recall correctly R-4 tires don't seat on a bead the way a regular tire does. They kind of just lay against a flange similar to tubeless highway truck tires. Good luck.

/ Cannot Load Tires without Unseating Bead #7  
I wound up breaking a valve stem when I filled my tires. I had to break the bead (done with the backhoe). The ONLY way the tire got re-beaded was using starting fluid. Terrifying, but successful!

ac

/ Cannot Load Tires without Unseating Bead #8  
Normal thing is to use a hydro inflation tool that allows you to partially deflate the tire, fill through the tool, deflate some more, and continue until you get the proper fill. I googled it and found available from many places, Gemplers was first on the list.

/ Cannot Load Tires without Unseating Bead #9  
DSCF0326.JPG

This is the one I used. I got it at Tractor supply as I remember. Also shown is the shut off I attached to the fill adaptor to manage air and fluid flow. This valve can keep the air pressure in the tire from escaping back thru your pump when it is turned off and you are refilling your bucket with fluid.

/ Cannot Load Tires without Unseating Bead
View attachment 471699

This is the one I used. I got it at Tractor supply as I remember. Also shown is the shut off I attached to the fill adaptor to manage air and fluid flow. This valve can keep the air pressure in the tire from escaping back thru your pump when it is turned off and you are refilling your bucket with fluid.
I have both these valves. The only issue I see will be pumping the antifreeze into the tire.I normally pump with a small hand pump and the end of the hose stuck over the valve stem. In this case I won't be able to do so in trying to keep air in the tire. I should be fine on putting the water in with the addition of the valve.