Tire Question

/ Tire Question #1  

Steve_S

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF GC2300
My BX2200 has an issue with air leaking from the left rear. I didn't purchase filled tires as I got wheel weights instead. My question is, since I can't find the leak, can I use some sort of alternative method like fix-a-flat or something? Or can't I use that in a tractor tire? I just don't want to have to go buy a new tire cause they are a little salty. I have the bar tires. The only thing I haven't done yet is try the soapy water method of finding leaks, which I will try this evening. I am just thinking that I have used fix-a-flat or similar product in my trucks before and it worked great. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

/ Tire Question #2  
Easy solution... Find yourself a deep water puddle, back the tractor's left rear tire in the middle of it, let stand a few minutes and wait for the bubbles... try different positions of the tire and you'll find it.

You can get some tire plugs under $1. and do it yourself... as long as it not leaking at the rim or sidewall.
Good luck, you'll do it!

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

P.S. How many cans of that "tire goop" do you think you'd need to fix that leak?

/ Tire Question #3  
Where did you get the weights? My dealer said that they weren't available... Then again, I have turfs, so maybe that still holds true...

/ Tire Question
Well, when I bought my BX about 2 months ago, by dealer gave me the option. He just simply asked if I wanted filled tires or wheel weights. I guess he ordered them from Kubota but I can't say for sure. They are Kubota orange. Turfs shouldn't make a difference. The "wheel" size stays the same whether it is bar or turf tires on it. The weights attach to the wheel, so I would ask your dealer again. Or try another one.

/ Tire Question #5  
If the leak is because of a nail or something in the tread area, the fix-a-flat stuff might work OK. However, I wonder how much of the stuff you might have to put in there?

OTOH, if it's leaking through a leak in the rim/sidewall, you'd probably have to put a couple dozen cans in there to get it to seal up (or however many it would take to fill up the tire that high.

I would go for a big trough filled with water and look for the bubbles. Another way would be to mix up a batch of soap & water in a spray bottle and spritz it around the rim, etc. Again looking for bubbles.

The GlueGuy

/ Tire Question #6  
I was told by a "tire guy" once that the "fix-a-flat" products (the ones in the aerosol cans) are temporary fixes only. On the other hand, a product called "Slime" (It's green and you can get it at Northern Tool / Harbor Freight and other places) is a permanent "from the inside out" sealer.

18-32378-billanim.gif

/ Tire Question #7  
You should demand the dealer fix it or replace the wheel. I had a GT once that had the same problem. I finally after years of dealing with it removed the tire from the rim and rewelded the joint between the wheel halves--leak went away---you have a bad wheel with a pinhole in the weld somewhere--make them fix it. Wheel weights are available for the BX--tell your dealer you want them--if that is what you want. As much as the BX costs you should not have to deal with a leaking wheel--as to my GT, I gave it to my dad and it is still going strong and someday I will probably reinherit it. J

/ Tire Question #8  
The soapy water method is the best I know to find the leak; check both tire and wheel. I definitely would NOT use the aerosol fix-a-flat stuff; however, there are a number of products on the market that can be put in the tires to "prevent" or seal small leaks. I've had good luck with one called AmerSeal that I used to get at Tractor Supply Co. But you usually put a couple of quarts in small tires and up to a gallon or more in larger ones.

Bird

/ Tire Question #9  
Forget the aerosol stuff. A friend of mine had the same problem as you and had great results with green Slime. Only problem was it lost its viscosity in the winter. Will let the group know if it returns to the slimy state once the weather warms up.

Pete
www.gatewaytovermont.com

/ Tire Question #10  
Friend of mine try that fix a flat and got into a mess..yep stop the leak but somehow the product got into the valve stem and he couldn't add air.
Maybe if you took the tire on the rim to a tire center they should be able to fix it in a snap,{hope you didn't dent your rim}and should be the end of your leak.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif