Lovin' My new MX5100

/ Lovin' My new MX5100 #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Got to really test her out today. Havent done much other than pilfer around the house with it since I got it. Had a 6 acre mowing job to do today Real thick grass. Was a retired hay field. So I figured I'd offer up my thoughts.

First two things I need to do are 1.....I need a steering wheel spinner knob. 2nd, I dont know if it is how cruise works, or if mine just needs adjusted, but full speed on cruise, is NOT as fast as full pedal. M range is supposed to top out at 7.3 MPH, but full cruise was probably 5-5.5 MPH. This was a nice smooth field and most of the time I was running 7 MPH+

The cutter is an IM600. (IMC or world agri corp). But its only 67" cut as the blades are too short. The IM600 is "supposed" to have a blade carrier that has bolt holes 13.5" OC, and 31.5" blades (29" from hole center). So 29 + 29 + 13.5 should be a 71.5" cut.

Well, the blades that were on it were shot. Looking up specs, KK 6' mowers also have 13.5" stump jumpers. So I assumed the blades would also interchange, and rural king stocks them and at a good price. So I bought a set. But they are 30" blades (27.5" effective). And to make matters even wose, its NOT a 13.5" pan, its only 12". So I am only cutting 67". But even with the right blades would only be 70". Not sure what I am gonna do thought. But I wonder....how does KK get away with calling it a 72" mower when they have a 13.5" pan, and a pair of 27.5" (effective length) blades.

But in either case, it cut well and plenty of power at full go. I really need to find me an 8' twin:licking:

Was surprised at my efficiency too. It took 33 laps around the field that was 340' wide (measured). So I was covering almost 62" each pass. Got all 6 acres cut in 2 hours on the money. Not bad for a ~5.5' cutter. Figures to an average overall speed of 4.8MPH. But that was stopping twice clearing the grill, includes turns, Going slow along the edges to duck under limbs, and stopping for ~5 min to talk to the owner and get paid as he had to take off.

Fuel.....Seems its quite a bit thirstier than my old L3400. Which only ever sipped 1-1.25 gal per hour. I wasnt 100% topped off at the start, but darn close. and it took 6.5 gal to fill her to the brim. I'll get a better handle on fuel usage with more time. But its seeming like 2.5gal per hour is probably where it will be. Certainly loving the added power, larger tires (smoother ride), and HST compared to the L3400.

Here are some money shots

IMG_20160616_090653645-1600x900.jpgIMG_20160616_075609121-1600x900.jpgIMG_20160616_075619744-1600x900.jpg

/ Lovin' My new MX5100 #2  
Is your cruise control a lever on the left side by the range? If so, there should be no difference in speed between the top cruise control and HST pedal. It should by a direct connection and may be in need of adjustment.

I sure understand the need for an 8' twin spindle, if I didn't have a 10', I'd be looking for one too.

/ Lovin' My new MX5100
Is your cruise control a lever on the left side by the range? If so, there should be no difference in speed between the top cruise control and HST pedal. It should by a direct connection and may be in need of adjustment.

I sure understand the need for an 8' twin spindle, if I didn't have a 10', I'd be looking for one too.

Yep, left side. Outer lever (closest to fender) is cruise, inner closest to seat is L-M-H range selector

/ Lovin' My new MX5100 #4  
My L5030 was the same setup and there was no difference in the speed, sometimes I even used it in stead of my HST pedal.

/ Lovin' My new MX5100 #5  
Nice job mowing LD1. I would love to have property that nice to Hog.

/ Lovin' My new MX5100
Nice job mowing LD1. I would love to have property that nice to Hog.

This was certainly one of the better ones. No holes, no ruts, nice and flat. My last pass put me at the clear back. Just the way it worked out. After shutting down the cutter, it was high hear and almost full speed across the field on the way out. 10x's smoother than alot of our country roads out here.

/ Lovin' My new MX5100
My L5030 was the same setup and there was no difference in the speed, sometimes I even used it in stead of my HST pedal.

I actually didnt mind using the pedal. Even it it went full speed forward with cruise, Everytime I want to slow down, or back up to turn, gotta get a hand on that lever rather than just using my foot, which is already on the pedal.

For tilling a garden, running down the highway, running a seed spreader or sprayer....yea, I would be using cruise to maintain a constant ground speed. But for mowing with lots of speed and direction changes....my foot works perfect

/ Lovin' My new MX5100 #8  
I too, am envious of that field....no doubt that was an enjoyable couple of hours. I have had the same experience with the CC on my L3901; it is exactly as you describe. Turns out there is a cable that can be adjusted. I have the instructions from Kubota on how to do it, I just have not done so yet. Main reason is that I have found the use of pedal preferable for brush hogging my pastures.

/ Lovin' My new MX5100 #9  
The cut looks very good for how thick the grass looks and the speed you were running, makes me think I need to put a edge on my blades. Fuel usage is probably about right, I don't use quite that much with my 5240 but I'm usually not running that fast either so it's less load. Most light load jobs and finish mowing I seem to use .8 - 1.4 gph and heavier loads are around 2 gph.

/ Lovin' My new MX5100 #10  
I actually didnt mind using the pedal. Even it it went full speed forward with cruise, Everytime I want to slow down, or back up to turn, gotta get a hand on that lever rather than just using my foot, which is already on the pedal.

For tilling a garden, running down the highway, running a seed spreader or sprayer....yea, I would be using cruise to maintain a constant ground speed. But for mowing with lots of speed and direction changes....my foot works perfect

So, um... could you maybe be getting pretty close to being a hydrostat lover?:D not that I am asking or anything....