Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big?

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #31  
Nice pictures. It looks like a great machine. Congrats.

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #32  
I'm not sure I'd run the brush hog in 540e, seems like it would strain a little. But thats my opinion. I run that same deck with my 7060

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #33  
I do believe you have set the record for a kid with a new toy ! Glad you are happy with it and congratulations. About 5 years ago I bought a MF2660 brand new and expecting the same kind of euphoria. Instead I spent 3 years getting the bugs out of it -- really a LONG ugly story. Since it got the last (I hope) problem fixed in mid 2014 it has been a great tractor and I love it now. Recalling that experience, I'd like to see you keep a list of the bugs and problems found with your M5. Please share that list after say the first year's experience. It is the machine I would probably buy if I had continued Massey problems [though I can't use a cab model, it would have to be a platform style.]

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #34  
Beautiful machine and congrats again! Have you had anyone in the buddy seat yet, and how roomy is it in the cab?

Is the cab layout fairly standard, ergonomic?

Are you keeping your smaller tractor as well?

What transmission option did you get, and how is it going from a HST machine to power shuttle? I imagine for strictly mowing it's no issue, but do you do a lot of loader work or woods work?

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big?
I'm not sure I'd run the brush hog in 540e, seems like it would strain a little. But thats my opinion. I run that same deck with my 7060

It doesn't seem to strain at all. It has RPM management so the revs always stays at 1500. It has a switch where you can preset the RPM. I have A set to 2000 and B set to 1500.

I do believe you have set the record for a kid with a new toy ! Glad you are happy with it and congratulations. About 5 years ago I bought a MF2660 brand new and expecting the same kind of euphoria. Instead I spent 3 years getting the bugs out of it -- really a LONG ugly story. Since it got the last (I hope) problem fixed in mid 2014 it has been a great tractor and I love it now. Recalling that experience, I'd like to see you keep a list of the bugs and problems found with your M5. Please share that list after say the first year's experience. It is the machine I would probably buy if I had continued Massey problems [though I can't use a cab model, it would have to be a platform style.]

I remember reading about your problems with your MF. I will keep an eye out for problems. My L4600 has 130 hours and I haven't had any issues that weren't self inflicted.

Beautiful machine and congrats again! Have you had anyone in the buddy seat yet, and how roomy is it in the cab?

Is the cab layout fairly standard, ergonomic?

Are you keeping your smaller tractor as well?

What transmission option did you get, and how is it going from a HST machine to power shuttle? I imagine for strictly mowing it's no issue, but do you do a lot of loader work or woods work?

The cab is very big and roomy. Everything is laid out very well and in the right spot. The shuttle shift is electronic vs the mechanical setup in the older M series. It works very nice. I had my wife and sons in the buddy seat so far. I sat in it as well. It's not very comfortable for big guy and is suited better for kids. However Kubota states to NEVER let kids ride in the buddy seat due to safety. It has a belt but I guess the occupant is vulnerable if rolled.

I am planning on selling the smaller tractor.

The transmission is the 12 speed. So it has 12 speeds Forward and Reverse. The gears can be shifted like a truck (on the fly) but not the range. On the road the speed in 6th hi range is limited to 24.something MPH. The HST for mowing is a more user friendly transmission for mowing especially on hills and tighter areas. I like the fact that if you lift off the pedal on the HST, it stops. On the shuttle shift. You have to push the clutch in or put it in N and then brake. Having never owned a shuttle shift, it seems to me that it would benefit from having a neutral switch on the brake pedal. In other words, when you brake it places the trans in N and then engages when you let off. I've operated large forklifts that are like that. There must be a reason they don't make them that way. I can see this being a problem in you use a split brake but not when you have both brakes engaged. I don't do alot of loader work or woods work. It's mostly mowing.

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #38  
So your saying your mowing along in like 3rd gear low range and you can just power shift without clutching to 4th gear low range and never have to come to a stop? I've always been curious about running the PTO in economy mode with a DPF muffler. Looks like that would make the muffler clog much faster. Maybe with the DEF fluid it can be done without any bad side effects?

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #39  
89vette said: " On the shuttle shift. You have to push the clutch in or put it in N and then brake. Having never owned a shuttle shift, it seems to me that it would benefit from having a neutral switch on the brake pedal. In other words, when you brake it places the trans in N and then engages when you let off. I've operated large forklifts that are like that. There must be a reason they don't make them that way."

-- Oh Geez No! Surely not. You do not have to push the clutch in or put it in neutral before braking. What made you think that was required ? Never heard of one that worked that way (though of course I could be unaware of them.) I know my MF2660 with shuttle shift doesn't require doing anything (clutch or gearshift) before braking. Bush hogging clipping pasture on very steep ground I often start down into a steep spot in a low gear and aid the slow motion by braking. Then, if it gets bad enough, I will hit the clutch while already braking, brake harder, and ease the machine down off the steep spot creeping just using brakes. All sorts of applications occur but I can't think anyone would put up with a tractor that required you to use clutch or neutral before braking. I almost guarantee your new M5 isn't that way. The reason they don't make them with a neutral switch on the brake or some variation of that idea is that no one would want that. I'd consider it dangerous actually. One needs to be able to brake in-gear as an inherent basic capability of any tractor (in my view.) A forklift is a very different ballgame and I could see it there.

You've got a jewel of a machine there & should mean enjoyment for life.

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #40  
So your saying your mowing along in like 3rd gear low range and you can just power shift without clutching to 4th gear low range and never have to come to a stop?

Re-reading what Vette said, his M5 is synchromesh in all 6 gears of the basic transmission. Just like a stick shift in any synchromesh transmission vehicle. What is NOT synchromeshed is the range selector for high versus low range. The only time you have to stop to shift is for shifting Ranges. You certainly do have to use the clutch just like any stick shift going gear-to-gear in the 6 speed part of the transmission.

There also exists a shift-on-the-fly without even using the clutch called "Non-clutch Shift" on the 24 speed cab version of the M5-111 according to the spec sheet but that is not involved here.

BY THE WAY, this M5 has what Deere called "Power Reverser" 15 years ago and amounts to an electro-hydraulic shuttle for shifting forward vs reverse (NOT for shifting gears.) You can do forwards and backwards without the clutch. The newer MF 4600 series having been out 2 or 3 years has adjustments for the violence of the shift that occurs when you suddenly move the shuttle lever back and forth. My old JD4700 (2000 model) was just fine provided you weren't revving it high when you made the forward/reverse shuttle lever move. Great for loader work of course. A friend with a MF4608 was playing with his power shuttle when new and it was so horrific that when he threw the lever it would nearly throw him off plus he feared implement damage (!) His dealer adjusted that "violence" as I call it and it has been fine since.