Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big?

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big?
I have not had any problems with the M5. I only have 62 hours on it. All I do with it is mow. I use my open station L4600 3:1 over the M5. With a grapple, forks, bucket, rake, spreader and box blade, the L4600 is better suited.

The M5 is a great machine. I'm still on my first tank of DEF fluid. The only thing I don't like about it is the transmission. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it and it has plenty of gears. However for mowing, I prefer an HST. In fact, I am considering trading the M5 for an Grand L6060. I have to look at one and compare. The M5 is also big and mine has Ag tires so it's high. Gives the feeling of being top heavy even with 34" cast iron rims and rimguard. An HST is easier to maneuver for going up and down hills.

I would highly recommend this machine if someone has the need for the power and size and has more things to do with it other than mow.

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #52  
I have not had any problems with the M5. I only have 62 hours on it. All I do with it is mow. I use my open station L4600 3:1 over the M5. With a grapple, forks, bucket, rake, spreader and box blade, the L4600 is better suited.

The M5 is a great machine. I'm still on my first tank of DEF fluid. The only thing I don't like about it is the transmission. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with it and it has plenty of gears. However for mowing, I prefer an HST. In fact, I am considering trading the M5 for an Grand L6060. I have to look at one and compare. The M5 is also big and mine has Ag tires so it's high. Gives the feeling of being top heavy even with 34" cast iron rims and rimguard. An HST is easier to maneuver for going up and down hills.

I would highly recommend this machine if someone has the need for the power and size and has more things to do with it other than mow.

When I was looking I test drove the 91 and 111 I think. I didn’t care for how the gears where spaced for running a batwing. Was at the top of one range and bottom of the other was to fast. Real nice tractors besides that. I do miss having a smaller one though so it was a great idea to keep your smaller one too

Brett

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #53  
Thank you for this info. I believe we will buy one of these M5 tractors, probably smaller one. Does anyone know how do they get those extra hp on a M5111? Brochure shows both models have the same engine...so it's achieved through electronics..?

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #54  
Could be numerous differences other than or in addition to electronics. Injectors, waste gate setting, rail pressure, piston cooling jets, etc

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #55  
True, but at least with truck engines it is primarily electronics and software. The "electronics" covers a multitude of things controlled by the software/programming inside the chips, etc. That includes what oldsters would call timing, and especially the amount of fuel injected per cycle. There are a lot of small companies in business to boost the performance of truck engines and the majority of what they are doing is putting in different chips which contain more aggressive control software.

Back to BFreaky's post, I would think the main concern over there would the level of support for the product in your location. I do not own an M5 but was considering one to replace a similar sized MF (whose problems have been corrected.) I was very impressed with the M5 during inspection and studying them at a dealer. Very nice machine. And I like the beefy looking loaders.

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #56  
The seller claims they have good supply of parts, and if not they can get the part in few days. There is a Kubota factory in France and they make only large tractors so I assume there is some sort of parts stock over there... I'm hoping nothing goes wrong. You know what they say, expect the best, be prepared for the worst :)

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #57  
I was on the fence between the M7060 with 12' wing mower and M5111 with 15' wing mower. Afer lots of comparing, I decided to go with the M7060.

Now that I've got some time in it, I'm very pleased with my decision. The M7060 feels big compared to our L5740. I can't imagine how big the M5111 would have felt. It is somewhat intimidating at first. The wing mower takes some getting used to. If I had gone with the 15' it would be more difficult for most of our mowing. Only real advantage would be when cutting the big fields. We only do this 2x/year as the CRP won't allow cutting from April 1 - July 15.

My dealer recommended I get the wing mower plumbed so that each wing is operated independently. This requires three remotes. On the first cutting I understood his wisdom. I can lift one wing to miss a culvert, keep it out of the pond and even miss suspected (or real) obstacles.
I'm sorry to hear about your CRP, hope you get better soon!. here is some info that may help you avoid that problem!. C-Reactive Protein Normal Range, Elevated Symptoms & Treatment I, myself, have a bad back injury, and haven't had a good nights sleep for 4 years!. everytime I turn over, I wake up in pain!. and there are some things I just can't do anymore too!. I blame this on the war on Opioids, Doctors are afraid to prescribe it now, I just have to bear with it, and just get drunk for some temporary relief..

Last edited:
   / Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #58  
I'm sorry to hear about your CRP, hope you get better soon!. here is some info that may help you avoid that problem!. C-Reactive Protein Normal Range, Elevated Symptoms & Treatment I, myself, have a bad back injury, and haven't had a good nights sleep for 4 years!. everytime I turn over, I wake up in pain!. and there are some things I just can't do anymore too!. I blame this on the war on Opioids, Doctors are afraid to prescribe it now, I just have to bear with it, and just get drunk for some temporary relief..

Thanks for your thoughts but I'm not suffering from any medical issue.

"CRP" is "Conservation Reserve Program". It is basically the U.S. Govt. renting your fields. The contract was in existence when I bought the place and I had to agree to continue it to maturity.

Here is more information about CRP: Conservation Reserve Program

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #59  
Thanks for your thoughts but I'm not suffering from any medical issue.

"CRP" is "Conservation Reserve Program". It is basically the U.S. Govt. renting your fields. The contract was in existence when I bought the place and I had to agree to continue it to maturity.

Here is more information about CRP: Conservation Reserve Program
glad to hear that!, and the only info on google was CRP was a medical condition.. "Conservation Reserve Program" seems absurd, though..

/ Want a bigger tractor. M5-091 too big? #60  
Anytime you deal with the government it will seem like there is a disease involved...