New to tractors and heard a rumor about Kubota

/ New to tractors and heard a rumor about Kubota #1  

Wishing2play

Tractor
N/A
I am looking into tractors for a farm/apple orchard I want to start (80 acres or so). I liked how the Kubota seemed to have more features/implements for different operations than advertised with other brands. The rumor I heard is that Kubota equipment is not usable on other tractors due to a different connection system. So if I were to get a second tractor of a different brand, I wouldn't be able to use any of the implements from the Kubota. Is this fact or complete fiction?

As for implements, I will be getting a loader, disk, planter, and hay equipment. All on the smaller side so that I can run them between the rows of apple trees. Is this feasible or should I just resign to the fact that I may be buying multiple units or a completely different tractor? I was asking about the Kubota because of their work with veterans to farmers program. I have a father and brother-in-law who claim Kubota are hard to kill so it made me curious as well.

Thanks

/ New to tractors and heard a rumor about Kubota #2  
I am looking into tractors for a farm/apple orchard I want to start (80 acres or so). I liked how the Kubota seemed to have more features/implements for different operations than advertised with other brands. The rumor I heard is that Kubota equipment is not usable on other tractors due to a different connection system. So if I were to get a second tractor of a different brand, I wouldn't be able to use any of the implements from the Kubota.

Balderdash.

Tractors all have the same, standardized connections to implements, called a (Ferguson) Three Point Hitch. All compact tractors have the same, standardized Power Takeoff as an integral part of the standardized (Ferguson) Three Point Hitch.

Before 1955, when Ferguson's patents expired, this was not universally true. Since 1955, tractors all over the world have the (Ferguson) Three Point Hitch. No one has been able to invent anything superior which the market will accept.

Disregard input from whoever fed you this totally incorrect information.

Last edited:
   / New to tractors and heard a rumor about Kubota #3  
As for implements, I will be getting a loader, disk, planter, and hay equipment. All on the smaller side so that I can run them between the rows of apple trees. Is this feasible or should I just resign to the fact that I may be buying multiple units or a completely different tractor? I was asking about the Kubota because of their work with veterans to farmers program. I have a father and brother-in-law who claim Kubota are hard to kill so it made me curious as well.
Thanks

The higher volume tractor brands offer narrow Vineyard & Orchard tractors configured for narrow rows and hills. Vineyard & Orchard tractors are a small segment of the tractor business. If you desire a narrow, low center-of-gravity/extra stable tractor you will pay 25% to 35% more per unit of weight and horsepower for tractors in the Vineyard & Orchard category. Vineyard & Orchard tractors often have specialized components for high volume spraying.

You can use a standard width tractor if you plant your trees spaced appropriately. Most 25-hp to 45-hp tractors sold today leave the dealer with a loader. Disc Harrows are offered by nearly every implement maker. Lower weight/horsepower tractors are narrower than heavier, more powerful tractors.

Generally speaking:

25-hp tractors = 48" wide.

30-hp to 40-hp tractors = 60" wide

45-hp to 50-hp tractors = 72" wide.

Haying equipment is specialized and requires multiple implements. It is impossible to raise hay profitably except on a scale larger than eighty acres if buying new equipment. Forget the idea of eight or twenty acres of hay AND profit.

Prudence and experience of the operator determines how hard tractors are to kill. Tractors operated by owners have fewer repairs and fewer operator injuries than tractors operated by employees. Kubota and Deere are renowned for parts continuity and availability ~~ but that is a different issue.

You should spend some time on one of your family's tractors. You will learn more in one day actually operating a tractor, under supervision, than in months here.

As you may or may not know, Kubota has a national distribution facility under construction in Kansas. Kubota is in the process of buying Land Pride implements, a high volume, broad line, implement manufacturer located in Kansas.

Last edited:
   / New to tractors and heard a rumor about Kubota #4  
Second this for sure from Jeff9366.On the front of the tractor(FEL)you can get the Skid Steer(SS) and use any implements that use this connection(not the hydraulic driven stuff) buckets,forks,grapple ect.You wouldn't have enough hydraulic flow to run say a post hole digger(front).

/ New to tractors and heard a rumor about Kubota #5  
I am looking into tractors for a farm/apple orchard I want to start (80 acres or so). I liked how the Kubota seemed to have more features/implements for different operations than advertised with other brands. The rumor I heard is that Kubota equipment is not usable on other tractors due to a different connection system. So if I were to get a second tractor of a different brand, I wouldn't be able to use any of the implements from the Kubota. Is this fact or complete fiction?
There is specialized "Kubota equipment" but for the most part implements rely on rather "standardized" connections IF you plan in advance.
One that IMMEDIATELY comes to mind is the Kubota quick attach for the smaller tractors.
To quote James:
Now some of the smaller B series Kubotas have a proprietary Quick Attach bucket. That is more in keeping with their reduced lifting specifications. <snip>

IF you choose Skid Steer Quick Attach (SSQA) you will be compatible with much of the rest of the universe.

Thanks
You should resign yourself to getting more tractors :) With 80 acres you might even end up with three :)

There are several other brands worth looking at and for the most part all "modern" tractors in the size you need can pretty much interchange implements within their size class.

/ New to tractors and heard a rumor about Kubota #6  
The grey market tractors have reverse rotation pto. I'm betting his "rumor" has to do with that.

/ New to tractors and heard a rumor about Kubota #7  
It is called FUD. Fear Uncertainty Doubt. A common sales tool. Utilize FUD to create a conflict in the customers mind so that you can sell them something else. "no you don't want them, they utilize non standard implements".. uh huh... nevermind...

/ New to tractors and heard a rumor about Kubota #8  
Balderdash.

Tractors all have the same, standardized connections, called a (Ferguson) Three Point Hitch. All compact tractors have the same, standardized Power Takeoff as an integral part of the standardized (Ferguson) Three Point Hitch.

Before 1955, when Ferguson's patents expired, this was not universally true. Since 1955, tractors all over the world have the (Ferguson) Three Point Hitch. No one has been able to invent anything superior which the market will accept.

Disregard input from whoever fed you this totally incorrect information.

Hogswallop! :) And I agree... however,

The information was probably referring to the Front End Loader (FEL) connection 'system'. I know that my JD FEL uses a JD specific configuration and my attachments for it are configured as such. But, JD (as others) offer a SSQA.

Anyway, welcome to TBN Mate from Downunder.

/ New to tractors and heard a rumor about Kubota #10  
Hogswallop! :) And I agree... however,

The information was probably referring to the Front End Loader (FEL) connection 'system'. I know that my JD FEL uses a JD specific configuration and my attachments for it are configured as such. But, JD (as others) offer a SSQA.

Anyway, welcome to TBN Mate from Downunder.

Deere is unique in demonstrating the level of arrogance necessary to cling to proprietary coupler systems. They aren't even compatible with different series of their own loaders. I was involved with a farm that had 540 and 741 loaders. Not compatible. When we bought a 3720 the sales guy insisted we could not get SSQA on that loader until I gave him the bundle number for the ecoupler. Then I had to buy a bucket elsewhere as nothing suitable was offered by Deere.