Traction How steep a Hill?

/ How steep a Hill? #1  

guylevasseur

Tractor
2016 Kubota BX25D
I know it's a tough question to ask, and even more to answer, but how steep a Hill can the Kubota BX25D with the loader and backhoe installed can take before it gets dangerous?
I know, you will tell me that any Hill is dangerous if you put the loader up high and you turn during ascend or descent, but i am more looking for advises from experienced user on determining what is safe and what is not.
Any advise will do.
Thanks,
Guy

/ How steep a Hill? #2  
If it's steep guy and you have a backhoe attached you go up in reverse and the soil conditions will determine how steep you can climb until you run out of traction.

/ How steep a Hill? #3  
I have gone up some very steep hills to the point of losing traction.

The problem is not going up and down it's if you somehow get sideways...

I did foam fill my rear tires which has helped by putting more weight down low.

Lose gravel will be different than well compacted.

When I am in doubt, I will back up the hill... this leaves me in a good position to reverse course.

/ How steep a Hill? #4  
It depends. And that's about the most informed answer I can give based on the information provided.

/ How steep a Hill?
I am asking this question because i had the cut-off switch stop the tractor as i was going down a hill going forward that i didn't think was that bad. So it got me doubting of the tractor capacity. But if grip is mostly the issue, then i am still far from what this baby can do i guess

Last edited:
   / How steep a Hill? #6  
Rely on your wanker-meter. If it starts to curl inwards, you're getting into steep territory. Trust it.

/ How steep a Hill? #7  
Same happens to me if I raise up off the seat to get a better view going downhill...

My guess is the seat sensor?

/ How steep a Hill? #8  
I have a very steep back yard. I can mow it sometimes with the rotary cutter, and sometimes I can't. it depends on how dry the vegetation is. It is traction limited in 4wd. i believe it is about 35 degrees. It is planted in a ground cover called Vinca. But I like to mow the tops off of the weeds when I can. It is about all I can do to walk up and down it. Sometimes I slip. If you can walk up your hill easily then your tractor wont have any trouble in 4wd as long as the tires are ok. if you can't walk it without slipping, your tractor is probably not going to make it.

/ How steep a Hill? #9  
Interested in this thread. I had a Kubota L series that would go anywhere I needed with the backhoe on. Now I have a MF GC1720 and it starts to get a little sketchy around 20 degrees going forward with the backhoe attached.

I assume the backhoe is just a lot of weight out back for these little tractors. Your gut will likely tell you before it gets to steep but what you need to keep in mind is once the front gets light and you loose responsive steering a slip of a rear tire can get you in a bind quick.

/ How steep a Hill? #10  
I use Aqua's method a lot. I have hilly terrain to traverse most of the time. When I first got my BX I experimented a lot before taking it onto the hills sideways. Backing up is better than driving up as it gets steeper. I have had mine 3 wheels off the ground many times but have practiced that maneuver and the recovery techniques. FEL and BH can assist much when in trouble to keep from going over. I use the BH as a moving ballast, always keeping it swung to the uphill side. Put the outriggers out a few inches off the ground. Keep the FEL real close to the ground. 1500 hours now and have not turned it over. I am old but still maintain the situational awareness the military taught me. I never drink alcohol on the tractor or before operating and do not use audio devices. There are some sounds you need to identify when practicing so response is automatic. Practice till responses are automatic.

Ron