Kubota BX22/23/24/25/25D/25D-1 Backhoe: How deep have you dug?

/ Kubota BX22/23/24/25/25D/25D-1 Backhoe: How deep have you dug? #1  

nikerret

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D-1
Yesterday, I did a job for a guy, he needed four holes dug to a depth of over 40 inches. He had rented a trailer post hole digger, but due to the underground rocks (looked like gravel) and the clay, the rented tool would only dig around six inches. I had walked the neighborhood (took a few hours a day for three days), handing out flyers. He called and I told him I would give it a whirl.

The first hole took the longest and ended up having the largest opening. My BH experience is pretty limited. I have used it to remove a stump, remove some plants, and did a job helping to remove a 16'x16'ish concrete slab. Other than that, I'm pretty good at getting it on and off.

The second hole went pretty good. The third went really well, compared to the first. The last hole was the most difficult, for a couple of reasons. I was contending with a slope that didn't allow the best leverage. Another issue was the hydraulic fluid was very hot. Everything was hot. I could feel the heat emanating from the lower parts of the tractor.

I was able to get the first twenty inches with the RPM's around 2,600-2,700. For the deeper, tougher digging, i had to ramp up the RPM's to 3,000. For the last hole, to combat the bad angle, I had to bump it up to 3,200 RPM. I have read, several times, that more RPM doesn't get more power, but I wouldn't have made it past three feet, without the last few hundred RPM.

How I did the holes was to start digging to around 22-26 inches. I then moved the tractor to the other side of the hole to dig at the same angle (of the opening), but to dig the opposite side of the hole. If I stayed on one side, I found I was digging a crescent shape. Going to the other side, I was able to make it a rectangle. The deepest hole was around 42 inches deep. Several times, I had the rear of the tractor off the ground.

Overall, I was pretty impressed. I had some doubts and even told the customer I would try, but if it didn't work, I would just go home, with my tail between my legs.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures as it was evening and we were already losing light.

In the end, it took me two hours and fifteen minutes. This time was from initial breaking ground to final dirt moved. It includes all the moving the tractor and repositioning. I think I could have shaved the fifteen minutes off, if I dug the first and last hole like I did the second and third. I also could have shaved off a bit of time, with moving the tractor, but not much. A few more good backhoe jobs, and I think I could have shaved off a full thirty minutes. I don't think I'll get any more time than that shaved off, with this equipment, in theses conditions.

The dirt we have has a lot of clay in it and it hasn't rained in a week. Every day since then has been in the high 90*F's. Digging conditions were not ideal.

So, How deep have you dug with your Kubota BXxx backhoe?

/ Kubota BX22/23/24/25/25D/25D-1 Backhoe: How deep have you dug? #2  
Definitely an art to it and I haven't had enough practice to get good at it yet. I feel I spend too much time positioning to dig... whether it is a hole, trench or stump removal but I'm convinced the BX is not the limiting factor for me so far. I know I am the weak link still. I haven't gone deeper than about 3 ft but it handled it well. Rocky glacial till with a little clay in spots. The clay seems to be where my underground springs appear. Thanks for posting.

/ Kubota BX22/23/24/25/25D/25D-1 Backhoe: How deep have you dug? #3  
I have dug roughly 6' deep with my BX22 burying a water line, but it takes a lot of moving short distances to do that and sure isn't effective time wise, but I got it done. We have clay here that gets about like rock when it dries up. I built a 9" wide bucket that works much better when it's dry and hard here. I think the more realistic maximum digging depth where you can be efficient is about 4'. When I move when digging a trench, I use the lock pin for the hoe to push the hydrostatic pedal without getting out of the seat. Saves a LOT of time. Maybe everyone else does that too.

Kim

/ Kubota BX22/23/24/25/25D/25D-1 Backhoe: How deep have you dug? #4  
When I move when digging a trench, I use the lock pin for the hoe to push the hydrostatic pedal without getting out of the seat. Saves a LOT of time. Maybe everyone else does that too.

Kim

That's a great Idea. I've always just reached down and pushed the pedal with my hand, but that would make it much easier and the pin is right there hanging on the BH.

/ Kubota BX22/23/24/25/25D/25D-1 Backhoe: How deep have you dug? #5  
BX25 is a 6ft backhoe with a 2' flat bottom. You can get deeper at points, but to maintain a 6' trench you need to reposition the tractor every 2' which is not the most productive.

/ Kubota BX22/23/24/25/25D/25D-1 Backhoe: How deep have you dug? #6  
To move the tractor when using the backhoe , I have a piece of PVC pipe and just push on the drive pedal

/ Kubota BX22/23/24/25/25D/25D-1 Backhoe: How deep have you dug? #7  
Unless your pump or maybe cylinder packings are worn & leaky, your machine should be able to develop max pressure at idle or low RPM. More RPM just equals more flow for faster operation.

/ Kubota BX22/23/24/25/25D/25D-1 Backhoe: How deep have you dug? #8  
i usually dig 4-4.5 ft with BX24, but i have dug down to 9 ft with BX. Now I can see the expression you guys are making right now ... :laughing: how can a BX that has boom limit of 4 ftish dig 12 ft? well -- thinking outside the box, i ran into this dilemma once. I was diging to the BX max and realized uh - oh i need to go deeper. MUCH deeper for a sewer line collapse. Since the trench was already dug, I just turned the tractor around and dug with the FEL until I was down 5 feet. It was alot of driving down a steep slope, backing out of trench with fully loaded bucket. good thing the trench was already dug in middle so that helps to break the soil easier. When I was down to desired depth with FEL, I just dug a side terrance for a place for dirt for BH can reach. Then i BH'ed the rest of depth needed. needless to say - i needed a bigger machine, but i got the job done with what i had that day.

/ Kubota BX22/23/24/25/25D/25D-1 Backhoe: How deep have you dug? #9  
When I move when digging a trench, I use the lock pin for the hoe to push the hydrostatic pedal without getting out of the seat. Saves a LOT of time. Maybe everyone else does that too.

Kim

That's a great Idea. I've always just reached down and pushed the pedal with my hand, but that would make it much easier and the pin is right there hanging on the BH.

To move the tractor when using the backhoe , I have a piece of PVC pipe and just push on the drive pedal

You guys need to watch a pro work, there is a FAR easier way to reposition, especially when trenching.

Leave the trans in neutral
Put the BH bucket on the ground at the close end of the trench.
Lift FEL and stabilizers.
Push the machine where you want it with the hoe and steering as needed
Put FEL and stabilizers down.
Dig
Repeat

You very quickly figure out that if you put the bucket in the right spot, it will move you exactly the right amount for the length of your reach.

I've done hundreds of feet of trenching, pulled stumps with multiple re-positions, dug post holes for 300 ft of fencing (hole every 12') and dug a 42' x 24' pond 4' deep without ever having to use the go-pedal. Just use the hoe to move yourself where you want.

Last edited:
   / Kubota BX22/23/24/25/25D/25D-1 Backhoe: How deep have you dug? #10  
Actually I've worked with pros. On a full size machine moving that way is a necessatity. I find on my little BX it is faster and more precise to use the hydrostatic.

Kim