BX2200 Gator Blades

/ BX2200 Gator Blades #1  

goOrange

Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
I was wondering what mower blades you guys were using. A few years ago I switched to the Gator blades, which seemed a little heavier that the OEM blades. I didn't run them last year and just put them back on tonight. I do see a difference in the cut. I have the regular 54" deck. I notice that the middle blade was not cutting level with the other two on two or three different passes. I used the OEM bolt, hex washer, and two spring washers. It seems that with the middle blades there is a little less thread to grab.

Has anyone had this problem and if so, what can I do to fix the issue. Does Kubota make thinner spring washers?

Thanks in advance

I am also having an issue with the light switches and blowing a fuse. It has been this way since I bought it (used) five years ago, but I'll deal with that another time when the grass is snow covered!

Jeff

/ BX2200 Gator Blades #2  
I just bought a set of blades for my BX2200 60" deck last week. I considered buying Gator blades, but ultimately went with the original blades as I never had an issue with them. I haven't had the level issue you describe. Because the 3 blades are staggered, you might want to check the level of your deck (front to back) and side to side. I suspect that's your issue, rather than the blade heights themselves.

The light switches on the BX's suck. Mine don't even work anymore and I routinely have lights on/off or flashing. There's probably an improved switch you could buy through Messicks's or your local dealer.

/ BX2200 Gator Blades #3  
After my first set of blades wore out, I decided to upgrade to the Gator bahia high lift mulching blades with the special hardness on the edge. I forget the name for sure, but Fusion sounds kine of like it. They cut fine, but not great. I deal with them and thought it was just how tough my grass was. Lots of Bahia and I tend to let it get longer then most between cuttings.

This year I rethought what I was doing and what I wanted. I did a lot of reading and realized that I was using the wrong blades. I'm not mulching and there is no need for high lift blades. They take more power to cut and the finish isn't as good. A lot of the professionals said this, but I wasn't listening. This time I was, and I went with the standard lift, factor blades made from marbain metal. It's faster, lighter and cuts a lot better!!!!

My results are night and day better with the factory blades. I overthought it, and learned my lesson.

/ BX2200 Gator Blades #4  
After my first set of blades wore out, I decided to upgrade to the Gator bahia high lift mulching blades with the special hardness on the edge. I forget the name for sure, but Fusion sounds kine of like it. They cut fine, but not great. I deal with them and thought it was just how tough my grass was. Lots of Bahia and I tend to let it get longer then most between cuttings.

This year I rethought what I was doing and what I wanted. I did a lot of reading and realized that I was using the wrong blades. I'm not mulching and there is no need for high lift blades. They take more power to cut and the finish isn't as good. A lot of the professionals said this, but I wasn't listening. This time I was, and I went with the standard lift, factor blades made from marbain metal. It's faster, lighter and cuts a lot better!!!!

My results are night and day better with the factory blades. I overthought it, and learned my lesson.

/ BX2200 Gator Blades #5  
I was wondering what mower blades you guys were using. A few years ago I switched to the Gator blades, which seemed a little heavier that the OEM blades. I didn't run them last year and just put them back on tonight. I do see a difference in the cut. I have the regular 54" deck. I notice that the middle blade was not cutting level with the other two on two or three different passes. I used the OEM bolt, hex washer, and two spring washers. It seems that with the middle blades there is a little less thread to grab.

Has anyone had this problem and if so, what can I do to fix the issue. Does Kubota make thinner spring washers?

Thanks in advance

I am also having an issue with the light switches and blowing a fuse. It has been this way since I bought it (used) five years ago, but I'll deal with that another time when the grass is snow covered!

Jeff

I have a ZD21 that uses the same blade bolt and when I got it, there were two longer bolts and the center was short. Some of the threads were pulled out of the outter spindles and they had the longer bolts. I rebuilt the spindles and used new short bolts.
Kubota has two different length blade bolts, if you have the short ones, ask for the longer replacement bolts.

/ BX2200 Gator Blades #6  
I run gator blades for years, they usually last two seasons on my 60" MMM, they cut well enough for our property, I dont maintain golf course:)

/ BX2200 Gator Blades #7  
I run both Gator and OEM blades on the current LandPride 72" as I have on the last LP 60 incher. IWith a few different sets, it's easy to put 3 sharp blades on in a matter of minutes.

I am sure that at times each did better than the other. I guess it could be the seasonal changes in composition of the grass. At times it is more lush and juicy, other times dryer and not as thick. I notice more of a difference in windrowing rather than cut quality.

/ BX2200 Gator Blades #8  
I found out just like Eddie factory blades worked the best on my 2200. Gator blades for me did not have enough lift to give a clean cut. Also over my years with 2200 I found the mower blade shaft, bolt, washer's are easy to miss align causing bolt to be tight but blade can slip. It is easy to get one upside down that will cause un level cut. New Kubota mowers have a much better system.