BX deck gear fluid & engine oil synthetic ??

/ BX deck gear fluid & engine oil synthetic ?? #1  

r0GuE

Veteran Member
Tractor
ex-Bota Owner
Hi all!
I’m thinking of doing some maintenance this weekend and one of the things I think I need to address is the gear box on my 60” deck.
Any recommendations on brand and type of fluid for the gearbox?

Also, I’m thinking of going to synthetic oil in the tractor.

Is 110 hours enough time on regular oil before making the change to synthetic?
Can synthetic be run for 1 year if the average hours per year are only 60 or so..?

/ BX deck gear fluid & engine oil synthetic ?? #2  
Rogue...
I just changed my gearbox oil the other day.....used generic 85-90 wt. gear oil that I bought at advance auto...don't believe that expensive synthetic is really necessary as long as you maintain the deck according to the maintainance schedule. As far as the engine oil I used Shell Rotella which is diesel acceptable...saw it recommended on one of the forums and have been satisfied. Do a search on the "Lubrication" forum reference motor oils, etc. for your BX for more info.

/ BX deck gear fluid & engine oil synthetic ??
Cool thanks!

The Shell Rotella is a deisel acceptable synthetic?
What filter did you decide on?

/ BX deck gear fluid & engine oil synthetic ?? #4  
Shell Rotella is NOT synthetic.....but is a good quality oil (you can find it at your local Wallyworld) ....went to my local NAPDA auto parts store and bought a WIX filter....don't have the part # handy but again if you do a search on filters you can get the info....about 6 bucks for filter.

/ BX deck gear fluid & engine oil synthetic ?? #5  
There are two different Rotella oils..... Rotella dino and Rotella Synthetic... Rotella site. .. the only thing that they have in common is the name Rotella. The NAPA part number is 1064... I have also crossed this over to these other brands. Purolator PER-4620, Kubota 70000-15241($4.65), Kubota, 15241-32090 ($4.65) Fram PH-3593-A (replaces PH 2849A)Motorcraft FL-799, AC PF-57, Lee LF-2808, NAPA 1064,
Baldwin B179, Wix 51064

/ BX deck gear fluid & engine oil synthetic ?? #6  
"Is 110 hours enough time on regular oil before making the change to synthetic?
Can synthetic be run for 1 year if the average hours per year are only 60 or so..?"

Oil is something nobody agrees on. I use synthetic in everything--always have. The Rotella products, synthetic and conventional are decent products it seems. I would prefer Mobils diesel specific product or their Delo 1300. Isn't the oil change interval 100 hours? If so why change at 60 hours? Why wouldn't you be able to go a full year unless you exceed 100 hours?
It looks to me like you need to run your tractor more. How long you had it? and only 110 hours? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif J

/ BX deck gear fluid & engine oil synthetic ?? #7  
I filled my last 455 deere with syntheic fluid and will do the same with my Bx22 mower. Fill it once, fill for life.