Kubota L4060--Lifting the Seat for PTO Use

/ Kubota L4060--Lifting the Seat for PTO Use #11  
While I agree the response from kubota is disappointing it would be pretty easy to wire a switch into the circuit that would accomplish the same as flipping your seat. Essentially a switch to bypass the safety only when you are chipping.

/ Kubota L4060--Lifting the Seat for PTO Use
While I agree the response from kubota is disappointing it would be pretty easy to wire a switch into the circuit that would accomplish the same as flipping your seat. Essentially a switch to bypass the safety only when you are chipping.

Can't argue with you on that point...just one of those things that seems like would be part of the upgrade package. This winter when things cool down I will probably tackle the project (although I hate messing with things like that when still under warranty).

/ Kubota L4060--Lifting the Seat for PTO Use #13  
I don't disagree with you at all, kubota or the dealer at a minimum should have taken care of this when installing the seat or at least go back and fix it now.

/ Kubota L4060--Lifting the Seat for PTO Use #14  
How about using the seat belt to hold the seat down while using the chipper? I have done that when I need to check out a running implement, front or back when no one else available to sit in the seat. Beware like others warn the safety issue of doing this. Jon

/ Kubota L4060--Lifting the Seat for PTO Use #15  
Corporations are not going to stick their neck out, too much to lose. We just need to use common sense and work around the configuration while working safe.

I don't disagree with you at all, Kubota or the dealer at a minimum should have taken care of this when installing the seat or at least go back and fix it now.

I suggested that to Kubota but I doubt if I will hear back from them. As far as my dealer...I decided to keep my money local and I got a pretty good deal on my Kubota but I will never buy from them again. They all seem to be good people but the service is lacking so wouldn't expect to get much sympathy from them or an offer to do anything about the situation.

How about using the seat belt to hold the seat down while using the chipper? I have done that when I need to check out a running implement, front or back when no one else available to sit in the seat. Beware like others warn the safety issue of doing this. Jon

I'll have to take another look at the seat belt to see if that will work on mine. For now, a towel and a log works.

Corporations are not going to stick their neck out, too much to lose. We just need to use common sense and work around the configuration while working safe.

You are absolutely correct...that is why I think they should have incorporated in a Kubota-approved safety feature for these seats. If corporations are good with flipping seats up to override the deadman switch I don't think it is a huge stretch to come up with a solution to THIS problem that the lawyers can all live with.

/ Kubota L4060--Lifting the Seat for PTO Use #19  
Like Oosik, my larger M135GX with air suspension seat standard starts beeping when you get out of the seat with the PTO running and never shuts down. Wonder why this isn't okay with the smaller tractors. It may be a size consideration. There are regulations that if a machine controls are lower than X, there must be a means to prevent actuating the control with the operator standing on the ground. One of my last lawsuits before retiring, an operator was standing while driving, was observed to hit a rock that pitched the machine sideways. The operator lost his balance, fell off and was crushed. His spouse sued due to our not having an operator presence device that automatically stopped the machine when the operator stood up. Due to its height, this machine did not require a operator presence device. Due to the regulation, the case was dismissed by summary judgement - machine in compliance, operator used bad judgement in operation. Still I feel that if the operator needs to be seated when engaging the PTO but then only gets a warning alarm when getting off, the machine should be in compliance just as much, if not more than flipping the seat. Flipping the seat on my L5740 is a nuisance as my cousin has had both hips replaced and cannot get out of the seat and flip it forward quickly enough.

/ Kubota L4060--Lifting the Seat for PTO Use #20  
The seat switch is a double-edged sword as it is from a liability point of view. The manufacturer recognizes the need for versatility while using a PTO generator, pump, or logging winch. The real danger starts to show up when using other implements like a post hole digger, even a chipper depending on the competency of the operator.
I've known of at least one person locally that's been killed after getting tangled in a rotating PTO shaft, and he's not the only one.
The post hole digger auger is every bit as dangerous as the PTO shaft, more so since they aren't/can't be shielded from contact.
Both my near neighbours have newer larger tractors (85 HP JD and 90 HP MF), neither have any kind of operator presence shutdown on the PTO. It's easy to get in the habit of getting off the seat and assuming the PTO is stopped after using my smaller Kubota.
Surprise! Everything is still turning because it didn't have to be disengaged before getting off the tractor. No seat flip, nothing..
I can sympathize with the OP, it's a PIA to have to use a log to hold the seat down. With an aftermarket supplier like Grammer I'm guessing that Kubota either didn't want to pay for full integration of the seat and their existing safety system, or Grammer simply wasn't interested in providing it.
Regarding bypassing the seat switch, it's always an option but is it worth the risk? A friend rolled their garden tractor a few years ago, it ended up on top of her for a little while before she got help. It shut down the engine as designed, since the PTO was engaged and she was out of the seat. Would she have been at greater risk of injury had it remained running? I'd have to say yes.