BX blew hydraulic steering line - suggestions for those experienced with the failure.

/ BX blew hydraulic steering line - suggestions for those experienced with the failure. #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
My BX blew one or more steering line(s) this weekend. I've been keeping an eye out for drips on the mower deck, since leaking steering lines is a well known design flaw, but never saw anything. Suddenly - POOSH - I'm loosing 2-3GPM and leaving a stripe of hydraulic fluid behind me 4" wide. Good thing I was close to the barn or I would've never made it. The entire underside of the tractor was drenched with fluid - coming up through the floor, etc. Yeech - what a mess. It's a good thing I have a big tractor (L) that can lift the little tractor or I would've been screwed.

Anyway - I'm wondering what the thoughts are to fix these things. I'd normally pull the mess apart and replace the one that failed, but I wonder if the other 3 are ticking time bombs. Apparently there is a significant problem with the engineering involved with these lines - are they undersized or something? They don't appear to be getting chaffed. Is it the same line that always fails? Should I replace the line with another Kubota factory line, knowing that it is going to fail again, or change it (or all of them) with better (and far cheaper) hydraulic lines?

Lastly - how do you remove the 3pt hitch lowering speed and cutting height adjusting knobs (without breaking them)? Thx.

/ BX blew hydraulic steering line - suggestions for those experienced with the failure. #2  
What model & year tractor? I don't think this has been a problem since the 2007-2008 models. I would believe if yours falls into the early BX2200 builds, Kubota has likely fixed the issue with better replacement lines. Talk to your dealer, or email Kubota directly with your unit model and serial. They'll advise on updated parts and maybe will step up on the parts.

/ BX blew hydraulic steering line - suggestions for those experienced with the failure.
FYI - ALL BX2200s are pre-2007. They were made from 2001 to 2003, then they became 2230s in '04.

/ BX blew hydraulic steering line - suggestions for those experienced with the failure. #4  
Have the lines made locally and replace them all!!

I did that several years ago with no issues since.

/ BX blew hydraulic steering line - suggestions for those experienced with the failure. #5  
Have the lines made locally and replace them all!!

I did that several years ago with no issues since.
I agree. Not sure what "all " means here, but the two power steering lines are so hard to get at that if one breaks you want to replace both of them. Not much more cost than replacing one. I had mine done at a dealer after one of them broke open. Dealer said that the orig Kubota hoses were notorious for failure and he would expect the replacement lines to last much longer. The other 3 ??? I don't know what the extra lines are unless you include the loader lines. [Oh, maybe there are 2 lines to and 2 lines from the steering control valve?? Sorry I have not looked at that.]

Removing those adjusting knobs: I removed mine by breaking the blasted thing when trying to adjust deck height while it was hydraulically lowered. It needs to be UP for adjustment. Looking at the broken knob it seems to be force-fit with no set screw. I think you just get under it with a good pry tool. You might have to provide a fulcrum and pry it off with a flat nail puller or something like that. Be careful to pry straight upward to avoid breakage.

/ BX blew hydraulic steering line - suggestions for those experienced with the failure. #6  
My 03 BX2200 still has the original hoses and look fine after over 1400hrs.
I have has a couple of loader hoses leak but never blow.

As to the knobs they slip on and pull straight out to remove.

/ BX blew hydraulic steering line - suggestions for those experienced with the failure. #7  
Trust me. If you have one of those steering hydraulic lines leaking, go ahead and take all the lines off, don't forget to take pics of routing and which line goes where. There are 4 lines. 2 going to steering ram and 2 going to hst just inside left rear tire. Take them to a place that will make up hydraulic lines, some auto parts stores do. They will be bigger in diameter and much heavier duty, which will make it harder to rerout, but you won't have to worry bout it again. It was tough getting the larger diamiter lines through the hole in the firewall but it can be done. Depending on the size of the lines you might have to enlarge the hole. And you may have to leave off the bracket that helps turn the hoses up, just left of the battery. Do Not just replace just one. Unless you are selling it, but the poor guy you sell it to will have to go through this process. My first blown hose, I just replaced one, a few months later another hose started leaking. This time I did the rest. You might want to add about an inch to each hose length for routing.

/ BX blew hydraulic steering line - suggestions for those experienced with the failure. #8  
My BX blew one or more steering line(s) this weekend. I've been keeping an eye out for drips on the mower deck, since leaking steering lines is a well known design flaw, but never saw anything. Suddenly - POOSH - I'm loosing 2-3GPM and leaving a stripe of hydraulic fluid behind me 4" wide. Good thing I was close to the barn or I would've never made it. The entire underside of the tractor was drenched with fluid - coming up through the floor, etc. Yeech - what a mess. It's a good thing I have a big tractor (L) that can lift the little tractor or I would've been screwed.

Anyway - I'm wondering what the thoughts are to fix these things. I'd normally pull the mess apart and replace the one that failed, but I wonder if the other 3 are ticking time bombs. Apparently there is a significant problem with the engineering involved with these lines - are they undersized or something? They don't appear to be getting chaffed. Is it the same line that always fails? Should I replace the line with another Kubota factory line, knowing that it is going to fail again, or change it (or all of them) with better (and far cheaper) hydraulic lines?

Lastly - how do you remove the 3pt hitch lowering speed and cutting height adjusting knobs (without breaking them)? Thx.
I have experience with the BX1500, but probably the same as yours. The line that failed was the one that ran back on the left frame rail and connected to the HST unit just above the left axle. It developed a pinhole a few inches from the fitting @ ~ 2khrs with no outward sign of damage. -- I believe this is the pressure supply line and the other one is return and is likely to last. The supposed pressure line is kinda special on the back fitting and you might have trouble duplicating it non OEM. Also, routing is not easy and a true dup will be easiest. ... The new OEM hose I got had a higher pressure rating.:thumbsup: ALSO, I was able to slip nylon sheathing over the new hose in the area of failure where it could possibly chafe or pulsate against any hard part. ... I dont want to deal with this again.

,,,,,While I had the platform off I painted its bottom side white to favor routine inspection.

/ BX blew hydraulic steering line - suggestions for those experienced with the failure. #9  
I was able to rough the lines to the rear without taking off the fenders or floorpan. I did take off the deck. The newer hoses that kubota should be better, but not as heave duty as you can get at a place that makes them. I remember they had to adapt the fittings as the kubota fittings would not fit the ends that they put on hoses. Reken why they had kubota fittings in stock in a small one house town??? Anyone hazard a guess???

/ BX blew hydraulic steering line - suggestions for those experienced with the failure. #10  
Well it happened to my BX2660 this past week. Just so I am prepared, the steering system is driven off of the HST or it has it's own closed system driven off of the motor? Can custom hoses be bopught at auto supply shops, or are the fittings unique to the BX? I will replace all, so any advise is welcomed.