Backhoe Dug up first stump

/ Dug up first stump #1  

chinton

Tractor
Kubota L3901DT
Dug up an old stump that's been annoying us for some time and drawing termites too close to the house.
This took approximately 5 hours on the tractor's gauge to dig up and drag away. It was heavy enough that the FEL wasn't able to lift it, even after spending some time clawing the dirt off the rootball. I was unable to roll it out of the hole with the BH too. I ended up just pulling it out of the hole and off a way before pushing down a hill to other stuff to be burned.

Stump's on it's side. Paused while clawing dirt from root ball:
View attachment 474223

Pulled out of hole:
View attachment 474224

I'll be paying somebody to grind the stumps in the front yard.

/ Dug up first stump #2  
You have to try before you know the capability of the tractor and the value of your time.

I'll be paying somebody to grind the stumps in the front yard.

Now you know. Good job.

/ Dug up first stump #3  
IMG_1349.JPGGreat job , couldn't lift this one either.

/ Dug up first stump #4  
Soft white poplar stumps that size that I dug out took days, since they were fresh-killed and the roots too much for the mini-BH. Wish I'd had the ripper tooth back then, but I'd have been switching to/from the std bucket a lot. That said, it'll shred some rotted roots/stumps.

Different approach, but I just got the DR 14hp stump grinder and did a dozen from 4"-~14" (across) at three locations, on < a gallon of gas, and in one afternoon. As much or less hand digging on the stump grinds as stick twiddling with the BH IMO, and the awesome <200lb grinder trailers/travels a lot more easily. (IMO decaying roots may settled more over time that a typical post-dig back-fill.)

Anyway, nice work on those stump(s), guys. :thumbsup::thumbsup: You never know what you'll get into.

btw and a little OT, the 'ripper' gets roots up pretty well w/less ground disturbance than BH bucket on say 4" & smaller trees and most shrubs (IE: overgrown autumn olive with 1/2 doz+ arm-sized 'trunks'.) Stuff the Brush grubber can't just yank (saplings) comes out after a few strokes to loosen roots. (Often times I'm just tamping vs back-filling a hole, too.) The big guys, esp in the yard, well .. they're gonna be a mess no matter how you get 'em out, but won't be missed.

/ Dug up first stump #5  
That is a big stump. I hate digging stumps - least favorite backhoe/tractor task there is. There's just no good way to do it.

/ Dug up first stump #6  
I've dug up a few to large for the loader or the hoe to lift out of the hole .... used a chain and drug them out. Once out, most can be shoved along with the FEL if you are careful .... otherwise, just drag it behind with a chain or burn it where it sits.

/ Dug up first stump #7  
Lots to be said for the old methods. :)

Bruce

/ Dug up first stump
I did watch some youtube videos of some guys blowing up dead snags with tannerite. Looks like a good way to get on the news, especially since this stump was < 50' from the house.

/ Dug up first stump #9  
Anyone seen a "stump planer" ? For smaller tractors like the BX, I would think this would cost less and work with the HP better. I haven't found one yet though. Here's a vid on youtube showing one: Bomford Stump Planer - YouTube

/ Dug up first stump #10  
Interesting tool. But obviously the unit shown is way bigger than a BX could handle. The 2 tractors shown in that video are many times larger than a BX. You'd have to redesign it so that it didn't have a long boom, but sat near to the 3ph. The weight alone of the unit would tip a BX over in a heartbeat. It also was hydraulically powered and I doubt any SCUT would have enough capacity to turn the unit effectively once you sunk it into the wood.