Kubota L4240 Engine Temp Question.....

/ Kubota L4240 Engine Temp Question..... #1  

duckhunt

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240HSTC
Hello Everyone,

I'm a new owner of a L4240HSTC, bought her used with about 95hrs 2 months back. So far so good, but I have been noticing that the engine temp gauge shows exactly 50% all of the time. (after warmup). The gauge has 8 boxes that will illuminate, mine always has 4. I didn't think much about this until yesterday while mowing, nothing demanding, and 5 of the boxes were lit. That means I was running about 63% of the gauge.

Does this check out with everyone else's tractors? I checked the coolant, and washed out the radiator fins, they were a little dusty but nothing out of the ordinary. I just want to make sure I'm running normal and nothing needs to be addressed.

Thanks is advance.
Jonathan

/ Kubota L4240 Engine Temp Question..... #2  
Looks like to me it is working fine...
Your temps in Louisianan are hot in the summer like here in NC...
My heat hand will move up some when brush hogging...
I have to watch it in heavy stuff for the radiator getting clogged up...
Typical of brush hogging...
If you are overly concerned you can get an infrared heat gun to check the temps...
I think you are fine...

HDE Non-Contact Infrared IR Temperature Gun Digital Thermometer: Science Lab Digital Thermometers: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

/ Kubota L4240 Engine Temp Question..... #3  
It's normal mine is the same way. The only way I can get it to 5 bars is by beating it wide open over the road on an 80 degree plus day, and that's with the turbo install on L3940 HSTC.

Kubota engineered the cooling system quite wisely, Fred

/ Kubota L4240 Engine Temp Question.....
Thanks for the replies!

That is what I was hoping. It has been about 96 with the heat index of 105 = Been Loving That Cab!

/ Kubota L4240 Engine Temp Question..... #5  
Both my old 3540 and newer (to me) 5240 both will get elevated (bar 5 even 6) when running wide open (PTO 540) all day in high heat when I'm really dusty or brush hog conditions. This is not the case all the time but if it happens, it usually due to a couple things as mentioned.

If on the job, use a leaf blower to blow out engine compartment of built up crap and wipe off the two removable screens.

Remove the outer air filter and bang it out do get the dust out.

When I get home, I have a cool air compressor attachment that works phenomenally. I think it was $30 at Amazon but could be made for much less. Worth every penny to me and I use it to blow out filters and radiators all the time.

I'll get a photo of it and post it.

If the tractor can breath it will stay cool all day. Even with the AC blowing cold in the cab.

/ Kubota L4240 Engine Temp Question..... #6  
When my L3130 goes above the 4 segments, I stop and clean the openings on the hood and clean the screen in front of radiator. I make a mental note to blow things clean with air. This takes care of it.

/ Kubota L4240 Engine Temp Question..... #7  
image-2452427676.jpg

I used to use the top one which essentially is a air wand....

This is until I found the lower one which works head and shoulders better

/ Kubota L4240 Engine Temp Question..... #8  
image-186699238.jpg

Notice the holes on the side of the wand, the end is capped.

/ Kubota L4240 Engine Temp Question..... #9  
View attachment 474384

Notice the holes on the side of the wand, the end is capped.

Thanks!

Looks like I have another project in the works.. with a regular blow gun it's hard to get directly behind/between the fan blades and the rad, as I'm sure you already know.

/ Kubota L4240 Engine Temp Question..... #10  
Thanks! Looks like I have another project in the works.. with a regular blow gun it's hard to get directly behind/between the fan blades and the rad, as I'm sure you already know.

Exactly! This fits in nicely in between everywhere you it too. Again, so much nicer than a standard blow gun for radiators. The blow gun obviously still has its many uses, just not the the radiator anymore (for me).