Mowing Will my Kubota handle a 6' rear finish mower?

/ Will my Kubota handle a 6' rear finish mower? #1  

srs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030 HSDC
Will my Kubota handle a 6\' rear finish mower?

I have a B1550 Hydro (17 or 18 hp) and was wondering if it will handle a 6' rear finish mower. Property is mostly level with just a few small grades, approximately 3 acres total. I currently have a 5' belly mower and know of a 6' rear finish mower that a friend is selling. I know the benefits of a belly mower vs a rear finish mower but I'm getting tired of hooking it up and then removing it to do work with the loader. The 3pt hookup is certainly faster. Any thoughts appreciated. Thank you in advance.

/ Will my Kubota handle a 6' rear finish mower? #2  
Re: Will my Kubota handle a 6\' rear finish mower?

How easily does your tractor operate the 60" MMM?
If it works pretty easily, you can probably use the 72" RFM.

As an example, I run a 60" cutter through some pretty heavy brush. My 16 HP (at the PTO) tractor should use a 48" cutter.
I'm about 4 HP below the minimum recommended HP (per the cutter manufacturer, Land Pride).

Now, you may have to go a little slower then you do with your 60" MMM. And, you probably don't want that grass growing too high.

I would definitely ask him if I could give it a try with one mowing session.

/ Will my Kubota handle a 6' rear finish mower?

Thanks Roy, my B1550 handles the 60" belly mower without any problem. Of course in real high grass I just have to slow down a little and maybe take a narrower pass. I'm sure this would apply to most mowers. The rear mower in question is a Landpride 2572 (I think). Figuring that I'm just pulling it (not lifting often) it should work. Again thank you.

/ Will my Kubota handle a 6' rear finish mower? #4  

This is my experience. Years ago I had a B8200 Kubota with a 5', chain adjustable, rear finish mower. This mower cut very well and I was very satisfied with it. I eventually wore the mower deck out and had a hard time finding new spindle housings for it. So I bought a new 5', Bushhog brand, mower deck to go behind the B8200. The new mower was heavier and had wheels instead of adjuster chains. This combination did not work well together. The heavier deck and the light tractor made for fine control problems, it was like the tail wagging the dog. See if you can try the mower out or one similar before you make the investment.