L4740 is Dead

/ L4740 is Dead #1  

Rockin' G Ranch

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4740 HST with FEL
Used the tractor all day. Shut down to take a break for about an hour. Went to start back up and - nothing. No dash, no lights no nothing. Checked the battery and it had 13V. Even tried jumping it off. Nothing. Checked the fuses near the battery and all are good.
What the heck happened? Any ideas what else to check?? Thanks.

/ L4740 is Dead #2  
Used the tractor all day. Shut down to take a break for about an hour. Went to start back up and - nothing. No dash, no lights no nothing. Checked the battery and it had 13V. Even tried jumping it off. Nothing. Checked the fuses near the battery and all are good.
What the heck happened? Any ideas what else to check?? Thanks.

Lights turn on?

Battery cables tight? Checked the ground side too?

Safety switches checked?

/ L4740 is Dead
Checked the wires coming off each post ( not just the battery posts) Of the battery and got 13V.
The dash lights, headlights, turn signals do not work either so I don't think it is a safety switch.
Thanks for the response.

/ L4740 is Dead #4  
Fusible link? I seem to recall there is one in the wiring near the starter, but don't quote me on that. If the battery is good, and you get no power to anything, that tells me a primary feed wire or connection is broken or a fuse/fusible link is toast. Key switch might be another possibility, so check for voltage there.

/ L4740 is Dead #5  
Check voltage right at starter. I'll bet fuseable link gone.

/ L4740 is Dead #6  
And when you measured for voltage on all positions of the fuse block you found what? I am going out on a limb here and say you found no voltage on any fuse. In that case you main fuse is open. They are usually wrapped up in the wiring harness near the starter. Another possibility is one of the battery cables is open.. As you know a wire must be a "dead short" for a wire to work.

/ L4740 is Dead #7  
Working fine before lunch break; dead after lunch... that happens to me sometimes also! Seriously, it's possible a main fuse (or link), has gone, but it sure sounds like one of those dang safety interlocks has tripped. Check your owners manual for all the applicable interlocks on your 4740. Seat switch, pto switch, clutch, HST neutral, etc., etc. Good luck finding it!

/ L4740 is Dead #8  
I had the same issue a month ago. After hours of tearing the dash apart & tracing odd voltages with a volt meter I finally went back to the battery cable. Started unscrewing the bolt holding the cable to the frame & my hazards started clicking after a quarter turn. No signs of corrosion paint or anything, bolt was nice & tight. I looked at it first, but it was clean & tight, so I passed on to other stuff. Dumb hour wasting mistake. ALWAYS look at the ground cable first, it's usually the problem.

/ L4740 is Dead #9  
I had the same issue a month ago. After hours of tearing the dash apart & tracing odd voltages with a volt meter I finally went back to the battery cable. Started unscrewing the bolt holding the cable to the frame & my hazards started clicking after a quarter turn. No signs of corrosion paint or anything, bolt was nice & tight. I looked at it first, but it was clean & tight, so I passed on to other stuff. Dumb hour wasting mistake. ALWAYS look at the ground cable first, it's usually the problem.

A few quick measurements will usually tell the tale.. Put negative lead on frame of tractor. Place positive lead on the large bolt on the starter where the positive cable from battery terminates. Have assistant turn on the lights. How many volts do you read? If you read 12 or greater, your cables are likely good, and making good connections. Did the lights come on? If not and no other electrical device works or lights up, go find the large main fuse in the wiring harness. Get back to us on what you found.

/ L4740 is Dead
So far I have pulled the cables off the battery, cleaned the posts and cable connectors and reinstalled. Then I unbolted the ground wire from the frame, cleaned the frame and cable terminal and reconnected it. The tractor then started up as usual.
Ran it for a while then shut it down to put all the panels back on the tractor ( have to remove panels to get to battery). Now the dash just flickers on and off. Using the blinkers seem to make the flickers worse. Still no lights. Must be something in the dash or key switch not making good contact.