Tire Pressure Questions

/ Tire Pressure Questions #1  

40_acre_mule

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L4701
I've got an L4400. The manual says 20 psi for the R4 tires, but the sidewalls show much higher max pressures.

question 1...will running the tires at such low pressures make it more likely to break to bead when running over big rocks or small stumps?

question 2...what are the problems associated with running higher pressures?

/ Tire Pressure Questions #2  
I've got an L4400. The manual says 20 psi for the R4 tires, but the sidewalls show much higher max pressures.

question 1...will running the tires at such low pressures make it more likely to break to bead when running over big rocks or small stumps?

question 2...what are the problems associated with running higher pressures?

20#s of air should keep tire beads seated. Higher tire pressures results in rougher ride and less traction due to "smaller tire footprint".

/ Tire Pressure Questions #3  
The max pressures shown are probably "while seating bead" during tire mounting. If you have ever used a tire hammer to unseat a bead you will have greater faith the bead will never unseat with 20 PSI on it.

/ Tire Pressure Questions #4  
With the grapple on the FEL I've run the front tires up to 30psi. I have the rears right around 20psi.

/ Tire Pressure Questions #5  
Put on your average set of implements. Inflate/deflate until the tread touches the ground all the way across the width of the tire. Done.

That gives you the best traction & most even tire wear.

/ Tire Pressure Questions #6  
The maximum pressure on the tire is usually for obtaining the maximum load rating for the tire. If you're not any where near that load, which you probably aren't, use the pressure suggested by the OEM or use the "ground contact" method as mentioned.

/ Tire Pressure Questions #7  
And if you pick up heavy loads on either end, you'll want more pressure than checking tread contact to avoid crushing the tires. Will result in slightly over inflated tires & increased wear in the center, but that's better than crushing the tires & blowing the bead.

/ Tire Pressure Questions #8  
And if you pick up heavy loads on either end, you'll want more pressure than checking tread contact to avoid crushing the tires. Will result in slightly over inflated tires & increased wear in the center, but that's better than crushing the tires & blowing the bead.
I believe the OP stated to put on your typical implement to obtain max weight management then inflate tires till all the bars are touching. You wont be "crushing" the tire at that point. Fronts being smaller require more air pressure than rears. 20 PSI in the rear tires would be plenty for any weight that the tractor could lift. I find that generally speaking inflating to about +or -2/3 in rear and +or-3/4 front of the max rating handles any load for tractor tires .

/ Tire Pressure Questions
Thanks for the replies, y'all.
I feel smarter already.

/ Tire Pressure Questions #10  
I put about 45 psi in the fronts and 15-20 in the back. The front tires have a slow leak and they start looking noticeable flat with no load on the loader at about 20 pounds. I don't stress non highway service tires. I usually just air them up until they don't look flat and call it good.

Last edited: