NEED YOUR INPUT

/ NEED YOUR INPUT #1  

cutter49

Tractor
JD ZTRAK 915
I am considering buying a Kubota L250 1DT - 2 wheel drive with FEL pkg. and a tow finishing mower. I will only be doing light dirt work and mowing property with trees that are easy to get around. I'll admit I am a senior on a fixed income and I am thinking about this tractor from a financial POV - least output of $$. What are my potential headaches, if any with this tractor?

Thanks in advance,

Cj

/ NEED YOUR INPUT #2  
Kubota L250 or L2500?

tractordata.com shows no Kubota L250 model.

/ NEED YOUR INPUT #4  
TractorData.com Kubota L2501 tractor information

A very fine tractor/loader.

4-WD is recommended for loader work, but not essential. It takes quite a bit of traction to fill a loader bucket. Without 4-WD you will be transporting a lot of 1/2 full buckets.

HST transmission model L2501s come with quite a few upgrades, in addition to the transmission, but cost $1,000 more.

Most feel Hydrostatic/HST transmission is more reliable than basic clutch/gear tractors because few people can operate a clutch/gear tractor competently today. Clutch rebuilds are $1,200. Will anyone other than yourself operate the tractor/loader? If the answer is yes, spring for HST.

If you buy a 4-WD + HST model you will likely recoup all your incremental investment at resale time, if that is a consideration.

A very fine tractor/loader good for twenty+ years at the minimum. Order it optimally outfitted for twenty years.

Last edited:
   / NEED YOUR INPUT #5  
A new 2wd small frame tractor with a loader is almost worthless for Front End Loader work. It will also take an extreme hit if you try to trade it in for a 4WD tractor after you are totally disgusted with its performance as a loader tractor. A large utility tractor with lots of weight can be useful as a 2WD loader tractor, but not a small light 2WD loader tractor. They are mowing machines only and should not even be fitted with a loader. If you dealer is selling you this package, he is doing you a disservice.

The L2501 in 4WD with Hydrostatic transmission would make you an excellent loader tractor. I know the money doesn't grow on trees, but what is the purpose of going 3/4 of the distance only to have a piece of equipment you loathe and cannot do the jobs you need done?

/ NEED YOUR INPUT #6  
I agree with the sage advice that James and Jeff have provided. If at all possible, go with a HST model with 4wd. I actually just got a quote for this exact tractor. I don't know how much the 4wd option costs, but like those guys said, you'll get it all back when you sell it. Also, Kubota is offering 0% financing for five years. How much would those options add to the payments?

One last thing, also got a quote on a Kioti ck2610, which is a direct competitor to the L2501. The quote came in about $3500 less. Something to consider...

/ NEED YOUR INPUT #7  
A new 2wd small frame tractor with a loader is almost worthless for Front End Loader work. It will also take an extreme hit if you try to trade it in for a 4WD tractor after you are totally disgusted with its performance as a loader tractor. A large utility tractor with lots of weight can be useful as a 2WD loader tractor, but not a small light 2WD loader tractor. They are mowing machines only and should not even be fitted with a loader. If you dealer is selling you this package, he is doing you a disservice.

The L2501 in 4WD with Hydrostatic transmission would make you an excellent loader tractor. I know the money doesn't grow on trees, but what is the purpose of going 3/4 of the distance only to have a piece of equipment you loathe and cannot do the jobs you need done?
k0ua pretty much summed it up. When I bought my first tractor I was the opposite. I bought a l3200 4wd without the fel. when I decided that a fel was a necessity I had one installed with no loss. in your case it's not possible without a trade-in. do yourself a favor now and in the future and get the 4wd.

/ NEED YOUR INPUT #8  
I am considering buying a Kubota L250 1DT - 2 wheel drive with FEL pkg. and a tow finishing mower. I will only be doing light dirt work and mowing property with trees that are easy to get around. I'll admit I am a senior on a fixed income and I am thinking about this tractor from a financial POV - least output of $$. What are my potential headaches, if any with this tractor?

Thanks in advance,

Cj

As a senior on a limited income with a B7610 (just a tad smaller than the L2501) it reads like you've picked a sweet machine.

However more info on your situation would help us advise you better.

How flat is the property? Are there drains and muddy or swampy areas to move through? This would be where 4WD would help greatly.

How much acreage?

That FEL, though expensive, may come to be used for far more than "light dirt work". I've used mine for about everything but carrying groceries in.

However if you are really only really needing it for mowing a ZTR is a better tool and renting a tractor for the times you nee to do dirt work.
Also look at used and auctions, especially public surplus auctions.

/ NEED YOUR INPUT #9  
I agree with the sage advice that James and Jeff have provided. If at all possible, go with a HST model with 4wd. I actually just got a quote for this exact tractor. I don't know how much the 4wd option costs, but like those guys said, you'll get it all back when you sell it. Also, Kubota is offering 0% financing for five years. How much would those options add to the payments?

One last thing, also got a quote on a Kioti ck2610, which is a direct competitor to the L2501. The quote came in about $3500 less. Something to consider...

Agreed, if you have a nearby Kioti dealer the ck2610 would be a good tractor to consider and might fall more in line with you budget. I sure like my Kioti DK35se

/ NEED YOUR INPUT #10  
I'd consider going to a smaller model, like in the "B" line with HST etc. It should cost less and could use a MMM if you prefer.