Always need to clean up the grass after mowing?

/ Always need to clean up the grass after mowing? #1  

Rob 80

Silver Member
Tractor
B2650
Anytime i mow the grass there is always piles of it laying all over the place. It does not seem to matter how tall it is, i usually cut it once a week and have to sweep it up afterwards is there a way to avoid this headache?

Do i need mulching blades or something? I have a 60" kubota deck RCK60-30BA

/ Always need to clean up the grass after mowing? #2  
Yep... I installed mulching kit on my Kubota Z122 little Zer0 turn and it works work great... even in long grass! No bagging or messy side discharge. Also great to put the mulched grass back in the soil. Maybe there is a kit for yours?

/ Always need to clean up the grass after mowing?
Yep... I installed mulching kit on my Kubota Z122 little Zer0 turn and it works work great... even in long grass! No bagging or messy side discharge. Also great to put the mulched grass back in the soil. Maybe there is a kit for yours?

I'm not sure if there is one. I looked on messicks.

/ Always need to clean up the grass after mowing? #5  
Don't mow your grass,
That was my first thought. :D But letting it go will be another big headache down the road. Seriously I would research for mulching blades and give them a try.

/ Always need to clean up the grass after mowing? #6  
Mulching blades didn't make much difference for me, might be different with the discharge chute blocked? Holding the grass deflector up helps a lot but that's dangerous if there are any projectiles in your yard or someone around when you mow. The only sure fire solution is a bagger which requires regular dumping and some way to dispose of the clippings.

/ Always need to clean up the grass after mowing? #7  
I know when i switched to gator blades the clippings were much small than the OEM blades.. Also I have the deflector pulled up so the grass doesnt get windrowed

b

/ Always need to clean up the grass after mowing? #8  
The problem with a 4' and 5' finish mowers is discharge.

When you step up to the 6' mower you get rear discharge.

Therein lies your solution.

I mow around the house with my 52" Z.

Then it's all 6' mower after that.

/ Always need to clean up the grass after mowing? #9  
Is this a lawn? Or a pasture?

At a golf course on the wet and foggy Pacific Coast, the clumps of grass on the fairways are the size of groundhogs. Course maintenance goes over the fairways with a drag made of chainlink fence attached to a board in front of the chain link. It seems to work well to spread out the clippings.

/ Always need to clean up the grass after mowing? #10  
Mulching blades plus a chuck blocker will NOT give you the same results as a full mulching kit (with mulching blades). The mulching kit will create 3 separate chambers in your deck, and the mulching blades chop up the grass. Since the grass has nowhere to go but down, it goes downward onto the lawn.

Just using mulching blades with a chute blocker will only result in a trail of cut grass piled up in a long row along the right side of your mowing path. The open deck design shoots the clippings from left to right to go out the chute. When you block off the chute, all of those clippings wind up clogging up the right chamber of the deck and leaving a mess behind you.