Tie down advice

/ Tie down advice #1  

Engine Mike

Tractor
Kubota B2320
Ok I purchased my trailer to haul my Kubota 2320. Now I need advice on tie downs. I am thinking of 4 straps but also considering chains. Can anyone suggest straps or chains and where to purchase them? And what to expect to pay? Thanks.

/ Tie down advice #2  
Strong D rings attached to trailer by welding or grade 8 bolts. Good chains and boomers. Boom her down tight, no slapping, jerking chains. Haul with confidence

/ Tie down advice #3  
A million ways to do this. Ratchet straps, if rated sufficiently, will work fine for a smaller tractor like that. I find I like chains and ratchet binders. Flexible and easy to use plus really great load capacity and no risk of them rubbing through like straps. They all have their place and I use straps on some things, but chains on bigger, heavier items. Also depends on your trailer and what it has for tie-down points. Check in the Towing & Transportation subforum for more discussions.

/ Tie down advice #4  
I prefer chains, but straps will work. For a tractor this size two 10,000 pound straps ( which usually have a working load of 3,300 pounds ) will be sufficient. If I was using straps I'd use 4. If I was using chains I'd use 2.

/ Tie down advice #5  
I use chains when I haul tractors. I do use 2" 3,333# working load limit ratchet straps on the loader and whatever is on the back. Remember, you have to tie down your implements too.

/ Tie down advice #6  
I just find chain binders and a cheater bar to tighten easier on my aching arthritic thumbs than straps big enough to secure, for me. I can grip a binder with my hand easier than I can pry a strap release with my thumb. Use both but chains on the B2320 itself. ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1471232656.533924.jpgImageUploadedByTractorByNet1471232703.273067.jpgImageUploadedByTractorByNet1471232717.496872.jpg

/ Tie down advice #7  
I've used the 4" straps, two of them, one front and one back for 10 years. I've hauled up to a L3240 HST FEL Boxblade. I have chains but I use them for lifting "stuff". Harbour Freight or Ebay or maybe Amazon will send them to you.
I hook the end to the lower edge of the trailer and ratchet it down tight.

/ Tie down advice #8  
Subscribed.

/ Tie down advice #9  
I like straps for my tractor and chains for the Skidsteer. If I'm correct, DOT wants one on each corner.and one over any implement weather it's attached to the machine or not.

/ Tie down advice #10  
You can't go wrong with chains. Harbor Freight often has good deals on them, and binders as well. Some states can be pretty strict about trailer tie downs, if you come into their radar. And a trooper in a bad mood can ruin your day with a laundry list of fines. No personal experience, but I know guys who have learned the hard way to check the rules and play by them. Tomtint's observations above are a pretty good starting guide. You especially don't want your load moving forward during braking or worse.