Dolly for Backhoe?

/ Dolly for Backhoe? #1  

Indian MC

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
Searching here, YouTube and everywhere else for ideas on a BH Dolly for my B2601.
I can't wait to remove the BH.. Not Really.
It has to be done before the Snow Comes, I will be purchasing a 3-point blower.
Do you folks think my Motorcycle lift would work for removal and storage of the BH?
She's 2' wide and 7' Long and is rated to lift 1150lbs. 2' wide stays just within the operator control panel - stabilizer mounts.
I can lift and lock starting at 4" and at 2" increments.
What do you all think?

Attachments

• Handy.jpg
    Handy.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 666
   / Dolly for Backhoe? #2  
Is there a reason it cannot just rest on the floor? For my winter storage, I plan on parking mine on a stall mat with jack stands under the operator control and the stabilizers up. Does your BH self -support on the bucket?

/ Dolly for Backhoe?
Is there a reason it cannot just rest on the floor? For my winter storage, I plan on parking mine on a stall mat with jack stands under the operator control and the stabilizers up. Does your BH self -support on the bucket?

No idea. I'm new to this.

/ Dolly for Backhoe? #4  
Searching here, YouTube and everywhere else for ideas on a BH Dolly for my B2601.
I can't wait to remove the BH.. Not Really.
It has to be done before the Snow Comes, I will be purchasing a 3-point blower.
Do you folks think my Motorcycle lift would work for removal and storage of the BH?
She's 2' wide and 7' Long and is rated to lift 1150lbs. 2' wide stays just within the operator control panel - stabilizer mounts.
I can lift and lock starting at 4" and at 2" increments.
What do you all think?

BXpanded makes a backhoe dolly. I use three mover's dollys - two on the frame and one under the bucket.

/ Dolly for Backhoe? #5  
No idea. I'm new to this.
I have considered getting one of those motorcycle platforms as a basis for a backhoe dolly. Built a simple wooden dolly instead of spending the dough.

If you do not need to move it, setting it directly on the ground is fine. You attach the hydraulics when it is time to reinstall it, so using the stabilizers and bucket you can raise and position it for attaching. I need to move mine, hence the dolly with wheels. pksebago's three mover's dollies is good... basically that is what I have with crossmembers so they are tied together.

/ Dolly for Backhoe? #6  
1471284592338.jpg1471284621189.jpgtractor supply wheels and steel from the local yard

/ Dolly for Backhoe? #7  
You could try using your motorcycle lift to remove the hoe but I'm not sure why you would want to. When lowered to the floor, the lift does not appear to be moveable and will stay in one position. You also can't use the lift for anything else. As coldsteelva suggests, why not use the stabilizers to remove the hoe (I assume it's a BH70) and set it down as per the removal instructions. Either way, you won't be able to move the hoe once it is removed.

If you have a concrete floor for it to roll on, a dolly is fairly easy to make. I made one for my BH92 hoe using a 5' 6X6, a 3' piece of 6 channel and 3 cheap swivel casters from Northern Tool:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660568_200660568

I bolted the channel to the 6X6 in a "T" shape and then bolted a caster on each leg. You'll need to use shims to fit the frame of the hoe.

Pic A.jpgPic B.jpgPic C.jpgPic D.jpgPic E.jpg

To put the hoe on the dolly, lower the stabilizers, pull the mount pins and move the tractor ahead a few inches until it just clears the frame. Leave the hydraulic hoses attached. Using the stabilizers, raise the hoe until there is enough room to roll the dolly underneath. Retract the stabilizers until the hoe rests on the dolly and shims. Disconnect the hydraulic hoses and you're in business.

I've used this dolly on 3 different hoes so far and it works well. Make sure to immobilize the boom using the attached pin or hook to keep the hydraulic cylinders from bleeding down over time. Failing to do this could cause the hoe to slip off the dolly. The stabilizer cylinders will also bleed down making the dolly difficult to move. To avoid this, I chain the stabilizer feet together.

Pic F.jpgPic G.jpg

/ Dolly for Backhoe? #8  
BXpanded makes a BH dolly. I have one and it works like a charm. I have limited flat covered space and need to put as many of my tools, tables, etc on wheels to manage them and shop space.

Here is a youtube vid on what it looks like and how it works. You might want to build a similar one yourself.
Backhoe removal demonstration using BXpanded Backhoe Dolly - YouTube

/ Dolly for Backhoe?
I was just looking to set it easily and safety on something I have available. One Bike usually sits on the lift all Winter. The bike is easier to roll around and I'm running out of room. I'll figure out something.

/ Dolly for Backhoe? #10  
I was just looking to set it easily and safety on something I have available. One Bike usually sits on the lift all Winter. The bike is easier to roll around and I'm running out of room. I'll figure out something.

Be sure to check the weight rating. My backhoe weighs in at around a half ton. I've been told to sit them down on an old pallet rather than the ground but I recently dropped mine on the ground, gravel, and remounted it a few days later. I had some help getting it lined up though.
I built a dolly but need to make some changes before it will work. Design review required.