Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle

/ Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
What is the biggest you guys have ran?

I am in need of a disc. Dad always had a disc, and we always used it quite a bit. He actually just had a couple, and always see these little 6-8' discs pretty cheap. So he fixed his up and sold it and planned to buy an other in need. But the craigslist well seems to have dried up.

I dont use a disc for farming or anything. Sometimes we plow the garden and then just once over it with the disc before tilling just so its not so rough to drive over with the tiller. But I use a disc more for construction type work. Leveling/smooting uneven areas, dressing up around trenches dug with the backhoe, breaking up the hardpack to sow some grass seed, etc.

Got a potential job for a neighbor....if it pans out....to put a few thousand feet of sodway back in her field. Discing would be great before running the broadcast seeder, then cultipacker.

Long story short.....local farmer I have know all my life has a transport disc for sale. Just think it may be too big. I am sure he would let me try it first, but wonder what the TBN collective's thoughts were.

Its a JD210.....I think its considered a 12'. Not sure how much it weighs, or pan diameters/spacing. All I know is its a JD210, needs some work (bearings), and he doesnt use it anymore as he has upgraded to larger stuff to match his ~140hp 7230 deere premium tractors. The tractor that he always pulled this disc with was a 2355 4wd. 6600# tractor with much larger tires and 15HP more. But he said it hardly worked that tractor.

I know the 7.5' 3PH disc w/16" pans and the 6.5' 3PH disc w/18" pans were nothing at all behind by L3400. Both were angle frame discs. Thats the extent of my discing experience. We used to have an old rusty tow behind disc....maybe 10', and not very heavy. Pulled that with an 8n. But this 210 disc looks HEAVY.

/ Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle #2  
A wheeled Disc Harrow has hydraulic power to raise the pans, relative to the frame, so you can adjust the tilling depth, therefore draft force, much more than with a non-wheel Disc Harrow. Do you have rear hydraulic ports on your MX5100?

I do not believe I have personally seen a wheeled Disc Harrow with pans less than 22" in diameter, which is when Disc Harrows can reasonably used for some primary tillage, as opposed to secondary tillage.

Twelve foot width seems like it might be cumbersome for your tasks ~~ ??

Taking apart old Disc Harrows can be tough. Agri Supply has more Disc Harrow pans and bearings in stock than any other vender.

~~ I will hold your beer.......

/ Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle
A wheeled Disc Harrow has hydraulic power to raise the pans, relative to the frame, so you can adjust the tilling depth, therefore draft force, much more than with a non-wheel Disc Harrow. Do you have rear hydraulic ports on your MX5100?

I do not believe I have personally seen a wheeled Disc Harrow with pans less than 22" in diameter, which is when Disc Harrows can reasonably used for some primary tillage, as opposed to secondary tillage.

Twelve foot width seems like it might be cumbersome for your tasks ~~ ??

Taking apart old Disc Harrows can be tough. Agri Supply has more Disc Harrow pans and bearings in stock than any other vender.

~~ I will hold your beer.......

Yes I have remotes. You must have missed that thread;)

I couldnt find any specs online for the disc regarding weight, pan diameter, or spacing. I'll have to stop and look at it sometime.

Aint gonna do anything at least til crops are harvested. That way I can hitch to it and test it out in the field before deciding. But even if I dont like, I still may buy if price is right.....fix and paint....then resell.

/ Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle #4  
Just from memory right now, but think the manual for my 4800 says 84" disc max. I will check later to confirm.

/ Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle
Just from memory right now, but think the manual for my 4800 says 84" disc max. I will check later to confirm.

I ignore the manual. Too conservative. But yes, it lists a max 880# 84" disc. Something my L3400 would pull with ease.

Manual also says 1000# 84" bushhog is max. So my 96" 1620# cutter is too big.
IT says 72" max rear blade also. I have an 84" and currently looking at a 96"

I didnt buy a 51HP 4wd tractor to be limited to implements an 8n ford can run.

/ Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle #6  
That's a lot of disc. If you're pulling it with an agressive set up in a deep plowed field you will know it's behind you but if you're using it like you mentioned for smoothing out or roughing up a pasture it should pull great.

For what you'd be using it for this is not the best smoother JD built. I use an 8' Blanton 3ph for smoothing and a cheap ugh... light weight Howse for cutting. The Blanton is a heavy disc and it and the JD 210 is built with a simular design only mine is 3ph. It's not the best smoother Blanton made either but it works better now that I played with it and moved stuff around.

I've got the back 2 sections turned backwards I guess you'd say. Instead of the cutting into the ground with the concave facing forward they are facing backward. I know the disc aren't designed for this but hey you don't know till you try. Anyway it smoothes better but you wouldn't want to drag it across the pasture that way but it's fine on loose dirt.

The ideal situation would be to have the disc sections where you could easily turn them around.

At first glance it looks like a normal disc but look closely how the back sections are mounted. I have the front sections set up about 1/2 aggressive and the back only slight aggressive.

Attachments

• Blanton.jpg
    Blanton.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 209
   / Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle #7  
I've got the same tractor minus a few horsepower. There's no data on the drawbar HP for these machines, but based on the data from the IH hydro tractors of days give past, drawbar HP seems to be around 3/4 of PTO HP, maybe a little less. So I think you're looking at a drawbar HP rating around 30-35 for your MX. With 4wd and loaded rears, I don't think you'll run out of traction, especially with some weights or the loader up front, but you may not have the power to pull the disc at the correct speed to do the job correctly in some cases. As Jeff mentioned, you can reduce the depth to adjust the power needed to pull, though. Personally, I'd give it a shot. You can always make it smaller if need be.

Out of curiosity, though, why not just use a rototiller?

/ Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle #9  
There are so many variables, that without actually seeing the areas to be disked, all anyone is doing is guessing. Type of terrain, type of disk, size of pans, overall weight. 3pt, wheel, old pull type, desired angle, desired depth.

I have a 75hp, 12,000lb tractor that I use to disk with as well as a small dozer and an old Cat D6. We have 6', 8' & 12' Kielfer offset pull disks. With my conditions, the 8' disk with new 22" pans weighs in around 3000lbs. On the 2nd disking (9" deep) there are areas where it is all the tractor can handle. Your tractor would not budge it. I can pull the 12' disk on flat ground only and only a single pass, won't do it at all on a second pass.

So for those people that are always saying that there tractor can pull such and such and it seems big, need to get ALL the details. Here's a picture of a smaller 13' disk that requires something like 400hp to pull around. :rolleyes: Oh, each of those pans puts over 900lbs of pressure to the ground.

I remember some guy that use to be on here quite often that was going on about his 60hp 6000lb tractor pulling a 14'-16' disk.(I don't remember now) Really? I asked for pictures several times, never got any. Seems like that would be a hard pull even with small pans, but I don't really know, all I've ever pulled are 22" pans.

Again, lots of variables that should be considered.

Good luck with your decision. ;)

Attachments

• P2130002.JPG
    P2130002.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0207.JPG
    IMG_0207.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 135
  • P2090029.JPG
    P2090029.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 156
  • P2090017.JPG
    P2090017.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 338
  • P1010012.JPG
    P1010012.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 106
   / Biggest disc a MX5100 can handle #10  
We've got a 13' Athens 131 flex disc harrow. I think the thing weighs in excess of 3K. Talk about a bugger to pull. It would bring our AC 180 to it's knees. We've also got a 12' Taylor Way that is much easier to pull. We had a smaller 8' offset that we sold but pulled it with D17's. Did well with loaded tires.