Engine Break-In RPM

/ Engine Break-In RPM #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
I've had several tractors and never saw the "do not exceed 2500rpm in the first 50 hours" notice. Have you all observed this? Granted, I'm not working the tractor hard, only mowing.

For years and many, many trucks, I drive them off the lot, hit the interstate, and pegged the cruise at 68 for a six hour ride home, never varying speed and rpm advised by the manufacturer... With no problems on any with over 85k to 120k each. Again, not really working the engine... Unloaded.

/ Engine Break-In RPM #2  
The Super Mini's in the BX tractors run at 3000RPM at full throttle which is fast for a diesel. Best not to lug at idle and not go to full throttle and vary RPM until the rings seat in and everything else settles in.

Kubota knows their engines well and you can either have a 5000 hour engine if treated correctly or you can have 1200 hour failure, it is up to how the engine is treated and serviced. Have 4 Kubota engines, and other than a design flaw on one hydraulic pump drive holder, have had no problems with over 2100 hours between all.

David

/ Engine Break-In RPM
The Super Mini's in the BX tractors run at 3000RPM at full throttle which is fast for a diesel. Best not to lug at idle and not go to full throttle and vary RPM until the rings seat in and everything else settles in. Kubota knows their engines well and you can either have a 5000 hour engine if treated correctly or you can have 1200 hour failure, it is up to how the engine is treated and serviced. Have 4 Kubota engines, and other than a design flaw on one hydraulic pump drive holder, have had no problems with over 2100 hours between all. David

Great point! Thank you.

/ Engine Break-In RPM #4  
This is on a Kubota? Surprising. So many jobs require full engine speed on diesels. All 3 of the machines for which I was design responsible during my career had 2 engine speeds - high idle and low idle. Fifty hours at low idle to break in an engine before going to work? Incredible. Think also of a generator - we need to run 50 Hz AC for the first 50 hours to break in the engine before we step up to 60 Hz.

/ Engine Break-In RPM #5  
My Kubota OP manual lists no specific procedures for break in of the engine. However - it does list two specific procedures to always be followed - don't lug the engine and don't put the engine under full load until its up to operating temperature.

/ Engine Break-In RPM #6  
I always operate under the assumption that a new engine gets handled with kids gloves until the first oil change is under its belt--especially with avoiding settling into a steady rpm and letting it go. I don't go over 1/2 throttle until its warm, I don't exceed 80-85% WOT, and new or old--lugging is always bad. I don't know any engine I have has experienced WOT except pushmowers, weedwhackers and chainsaws. I don't know if its made any difference, but I've never had one consume oil taking the time--could be luck, but I'll keep doing it.

/ Engine Break-In RPM #7  
Same here no problems and no oil consumption between changes on the Kubotas.

I have never thought that wide open throttle on any new engine was good.

Did take the 2005 Dodge RAM Cummins 5.9 about 30,000 miles until everything got seated in and started getting better mileage.

David

/ Engine Break-In RPM #8  
Break in is much over rated. Just don't idle it, don't run it cold , don't do short start stop putting around jobs and don't lug it.

Last edited:
   / Engine Break-In RPM #9  
The manual for the new MX5800 simply states "Do not operate the tractor at full speed for the first 50 hours." I'm not sure what "full speed" means but the manuals for my previous 3 Kubotas had similar statements. The exception was the B7100 HST which did recommend keeping the RPM under 2500 for the first 50 hours. I remember it made for slow going while mowing with the Woods RM59 3 pt mower.

The maintenance manager at the dealer is a bit conservative and makes a verbal 2500 RPM / 50 hour recommendation to all his compact tractor customers.

IMO, common sense says to take it easy on any new machine.

/ Engine Break-In RPM #10  
I'm in the "kid gloves" camp for the first 50 hours. I like to run it for awhile at the lower to higher rpms ( up and down the rpm range) and then let it get back to the ambient temp before running again. Have done it on all my trucks, cars and small tractors. .....don't know if it made any difference, but never had an engine failure during my possession, and I keep them until.....almost forever.