Backhoe How hot should BH cylinders get?

/ How hot should BH cylinders get? #1  

chinton

Tractor
Kubota L3901DT
After a couple hours operating my BH digging at stumps I find the cylinder to be hot to the touch. It's almost too hot to touch while mounting/dismounting the BH operating platform.

Is this normal?

/ How hot should BH cylinders get? #2  
Normal after extended use, fluid temp is probably about at least 150 and most likely closer to 200, the friction from the piston adds to the temp of the barrel also.

/ How hot should BH cylinders get? #3  
After extended use the cylinders on my backhoe get quite hot. You can touch them, but not for long.

/ How hot should BH cylinders get? #5  
My guess is the heat is mostly generated in the trans, and the cylinders are getting a lot of heat from the fluid. The hydro fluid on a B7500 I had got very hot without the loader attached to the tractor while hurrying with the mower through tall grass. I did shoot some temps with a non-contact thermometer but forget what the readings were. It was hot enough that the steering felt "lumpy" when making turns.

I stopped mowing, kept the engine running and used a garden hose to bathe the hydro fluid coils and the steering returned to normal when the fluid cooled down.

/ How hot should BH cylinders get? #6  
Have to agree with the above posts. The cylinders on my L48 get very hot. Hot enough that it is a touch-and-get-your-finger-the-he||-off type hot.

On toasty days and hard work digging stumps, along with the usual stalling when trying to break roots without success, the hydraulic oil will get hot enough that the boom will chatter like the pump is cavatating. And this is with Amsoil premium synthetic oil.

When that happens it is time to take a break and let things cool down.